Ivan Toney - A betting angle...

I was wondering how the odds markets would react to Ivan Toney's return tomorrow.

I suspected that there may be a few factors at play

1. Toney himself will be chomping at the bit to make an impact. He might be more willing to take on shots from distance/angles that he might have passed up previously
2. Punters may over-rate his ability to be anywhere near his best form after such a long break
3. With all the press, bookies will take a lot of bets on him
4. Bookies may (unwisely, from a PR perspective IMHO) try to capitalise on his return by offering Toney related specials. Let's see if any pop up tomorrow...

I looked at the shot on target market. Based on last season's stats, these are his implied odds (decimal)

1+ SoT = 72.75% -> 1.37 (best odds: 1.33)
2+ SoT = 37.26%  -> 2.68 (best odds: 1.6)
3+ SoT = 14.04% -> 7.1 (best odds: 5.5)
4+ SoT = 3.99% -> 25.06 (best odds: 15.0)

I put the best bookies (not exchange) odds afterwards.

In terms of shots on target against, Forest concede just a shade over average - which makes using a 22/23 season average easier to swallow.

Is there any value there? Depends on what weight you'd give to the 4 factors above, plus others no doubt.

2 hours ago, harry_rag said:

Interesting thoughts, hadn’t realised he was due back. First thought is I’d rather be on Maupay to score at 9/4 than Toney at 5/4 and that Wood 3/1 is the most appealing price. Will take a closer look later.

For the Anytime goalscorer market you might have a point, as it may be asking a lot for Toney to play the full 90mins on his first game back - although you'd expect him to be back on penalties, even though Mbuemo was 3 from 3 in his absence.

If I was backing Toney I think I'd rather be on 3+ SoT @ 9/2 than anytime goalscorer at 5/4.

I don’t have much read on the Toney situation other than there aren’t any prices that scream out to be backed and a watching brief scenario seems wisest. I have taken evens with Uni for Wood to have 2 or more shots. Odds on everywhere else, much shorter in a few places. Feels like evens for something that is slightly more likely to happen than not to me. I also think I’ll be on him to score at 3/1 or better.

On 1/19/2024 at 3:35 PM, philipwalsh19 said:

For the Anytime goalscorer market you might have a point, as it may be asking a lot for Toney to play the full 90mins on his first game back - although you'd expect him to be back on penalties, even though Mbuemo was 3 from 3 in his absence.

Traded his price on the exchange a bit yesterday, ended up with a risk free £7 if he scores!

On Wood at 4.3.

1 hour ago, philipwalsh19 said:

You've played a blinder Harry.

Thanks for posting your thoughts which got me taking a closer look. Would’ve been on Wood as a clear system pick but not the shots bet and the Toney trade but for your post.