My Three Horses of 2023

Trotter

As we reach year end it's usual to have a look back and pick out some highlights of the year. I've decided to do this in the form of 'my 3 favourite horses of the year'

As a preamble I should say that I've lost a bit of interest in the day to day meetings and just tend to watch the top races these days and none of my picks are trained in the UK or Ireland

1 Golden Sixty (Hong Kong) ..... my favourite horse of the year, Only runs in Hong Kong, in fact only runs at Sha Tin and is an aging 8 year old. He's run 4 times this year at 8 and 10 furlongs, all group one races and won them all. He just settles in the field, gradually moves forward with 4 furlongs to go then blasts through with a tremendous turn of foot to put the race to bed. Very exciting to watch. Officially rated the 7th best horse in the world 

Last race .  

2 Equinox (Japan) 4 years old. This is officially the best horse in the world with a rating of 129. He's a middle distance horse, 10/12 furlongs, He's also run 4 times this year in Meydan and Japan, all in group one races, and won them all. Nothing can live with him in the last couple of furlongs as he relentlessly galloped to the line. 

Last Race - 

3 Ace Impact (France) . 3year old. Unbeaten winner of the French Derby and Arc. Scintillating victory in Europe's top race has earned him a spot on my podium. Unfortunately he's been bundled off to stud after only 6 career races. On the official ratings he's 2nd behind Equinox at 128. For a brief moment there was hope that he would stay in training and meet Equinox somewhere next season, but it's not to be as both of them have been retired

Arc - 

Other horses in the top 10 in the world rankings are Mostahdaf, Big Rock, Hukum, Westobver, Lucky Sweynesse, Paddington, Auguste Rodin

I guess the thing that my picks have in common is the way they pull clear of top class fields in the race finish .... surely that's the most exciting thing to see in our sport !

Feel free to add your favourites ....... horses, races, moments, interviews, funnies .........

Edited by Trotter