trash talking- a confession

Bruise Pristene

I slow played pocket aces last night with two aces in the flop, then went all in on river and won a lot of money, 30$ (by my standards) anyway, one of the guys that went all in with me and lost piped up with "lucky twat" to which I stupidly started replying that I outbet him rather than was lucky, he insulted me I insulted him etc this carried on for a while, to a point where I was playing poker inbetween "chatting" with him, anyway up came a hand where I had 3,4hearts with KC AS 7H on the flop, I thought I would call a small bet to see if i had a chance of a flush (a not very skillful thought i know), anyway, this bloke started yapping and I was reading as the betting was goin round, . the thing beeped for my turn and I clicked call as I'd planned to. what i didnt realise was that someone had gone all in for 40$ while i was distracted by chat. he was holding KA and I never would hve called that all in had i been fully paying attention, because I would have obviously thought he had something better than me :puke it took me a month of low level playing to build up that stash from my original $10.:puke so a word of warning, DONT EVER GET CAUGHT UP IN TRASH TALKING :cry

Re: trash talking- a confession Ouch I too have fallen for this trap and its was painful as I knew I had been duped. For a while I played with the chat off but somehow I was conscious of this and started to wonder what they were saying so I turned it back on. I knew it was a weakness I had to address so I decided then just to agree with people who insulted me. Sometimes I just type "ty" and if they continue say something like "coming from you its a compliment" and then leave it. Once someone told me he hoped I'd get run over by a bus and I replied that if I was I hoped he'd be driving it. Now I find that when I'm playing well I just don't notice the chat - I'm too focused on watching what is going on. The chat serves little function in internet play unlike in live play where what people say and how they say it give tells. Keep playing and keep the chat on and you will soon learn to deal with it.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.