** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Hunter Chase - 4.41 Kelso

I will get round to reviewing the Foxhunters' but needless to say it was a fantastic ride and training performance to get Cousin Pascal to win, but we can consider ourselves to be slightly unlucky with Latenightpass as well.

After that top quality race we go to a pretty poor one at Kelso this afternoon. It is a shame because the Buccleuch Cup has a rich history, but this is a poor renewal. The two outsiders look to have little chance and the other 4 all ran in the same race at Alnwick in December. Alone No More unseated at the 1st so we don't know how he would have got on. He's run twice since, 1st when pulling up behind Cousin Pascal a Catterick and then when 4th at Hutton Rudby. He was ridden by his inexperienced trainer that day and I'm guessing it is her sister who takes over and she has a bit more experience. That might help him and he's probably slightly over priced although I still don't really want to back him.

In that Alnwick contest Roderick Random finished 2nd, Rio Des Echanault was 2L further back in the 3rd and Worcester Pearmain just over 4L further back in 5th. That was the 2nd time that Worcester Pearmain finished behind Roderick Random as they were 3rd and 4th at Alnwick last January and that leads me to think they will stick to that form again here.

Rio Des Echanault certainly has youth on his side as he is 7 compared to Roderick Random's 11 and that does mean he could show improvement, but I am actually going to side with the 11yo. Roderick Random does find it hard to win, but he's been running against some useful horses and ultimately here he is facing horses he has beaten before or he looks better than. Senor Lombardy was the winner of that Alnwick race and he has shown good form in hunter chases since. Roderick Random tried to serve it up to him and turning for home still had a chance of winning until Senor Lombardy quickened clear approaching 2 out. Rio Des Echanault did close up on him on the run in, but never looked in with a chance of winning and I think Roderick Random paid for actually trying to race the winner from a long way out. To me there didn't seem to be any obvious reason as to why the other two should reverse form with Roderick Random and with him showing a better level of form than them in points I make him the selection.

Roderick Random 1pt @ 15/8 with most bookies

5 hours ago, Thornwick said:

Unlucky Darren think jockey was a bit weak jumped and travelled OK 

I do think the best jockey won the race and it is a shame she wasn't a bit more aggressive on Roderick Random as he was staying on again at the finish. The winner was always travelling well though and always seemed to be doing enough after the last so I suspect he was probably the best horse on the day. This was as weak a hunter chase as you will find though so he will have to carry on progressing to win another one.