Big Race Trends

I've always liked looking at Trends and previous winners and find it quite useful when weighing up a big handicap.

In this thread I will, time permitting, attempt to put a race up each week and will focus on the Saturday handicaps rather than the graded races that often cut up and trends are not really needed to find the winner.

*Please feel free to help with any races that you want to look at or add any information to the ones already posted.*

Cheers BH ........ looks interesting

Was it Bowles used to do the Trends in the old days ?........ I always enjoyed reading them although I'm a bit of a sceptic. But I think Trends will be most useful in the big handicaps where trainers tend to have an idea of what sort of horse they need for the race so you'll get similar types each year

hopefully this will be attract some interest and people will join in

The Lanzarote - 21 furlongs

I've been looking at the 10 previous winners and noted the following -

10/10 had previously won on Right Handed tracks

10/10 had previously won races with double figure field size

9/10 had not won over further than today's trip (the one that had was only half a furlong further. Suggests you don't want a stayer dropping in trip)

8/10 had never run on the Flat (one of the other 2 had only run once, on racecourse debut in the French provinces. The other one had run 6 times and never been placed). Suggests you want a Jumps bred horse not a fancy dan off the flat - I note that the current favourite, River Frost, is flat bred and has run 10 times on the Flat. Not sure if that should put you off though as he is a CD winner last time out in a competitive handicap. 

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

The Lanzarote - 21 furlongs

I've been looking at the 10 previous winners and noted the following -

10/10 had previously won on Right Handed tracks

10/10 had previously won races with double figure field size

9/10 had not won over further than today's trip (the one that had was only half a furlong further. Suggests you don't want a stayer dropping in trip)

8/10 had never run on the Flat (one of the other 2 had only run once, on racecourse debut in the French provinces. The other one had run 6 times and never been placed). Suggests you want a Jumps bred horse not a fancy dan off the flat - I note that the current favourite, River Frost, is flat bred and has run 10 times on the Flat. Not sure if that should put you off though as he is a CD winner last time out in a competitive handicap. 

Thats really good info Trotter:ok

Great thread, I always look at trends for the big Saturday races. The past two Grand National winners have been 'trends horses'. I was looking at trends earlier for the classic chase at Warwick but it seems Billy has beat me too it. A couple more I found were 12/15 previous winners had run 2 or 3 times in the present season, 13/15 have won a race over 3m 2f before and horses that have run in any race over 4 miles previously have won 11/15.

The decs are out

Looking at the Lanzarote and applying the trends fairly strictly there's only one horse left ........ and this one doesn't fit all the trends as not trained by Nicholls or Williams

Diese des Bieffes currently 6/1

Another one fits the trends apart from price and could be the EW shot

Dentley de Mee currently 20/1 (and trained by Nick Williams)

So these are my two against the field based on trends

win - Diese des Bieffes currently 6/1

EW - Dentley de Mee currently 20/1

Come up with 2 for the Classic Chase

Krakatoa King currently 8/1

Emperors Choice currently 11/1

Be interesting to see if other people come up with the same horses. I do think there's room for a bit of leeway in using the trends ........ for example I'm not keen on trends which use the Odds ....... eg Favourites, Horses in single figure odds, as to my mind the purpose of looking at a race in this way is to find horses that have a better chance then their odds ! ......... in other words use the trends to establish what 'should' be favourite. Using trends based on odds seems to defeat the object. So I'm likely to skip those trends and other posters might give less weight to other trends so it's possible we will come up with different horses.

• Glad we think alike Billy I also look for the best trend horse without using Prices unless of course the trends suggest a price significants but I use it as my last trend if I have a few selections after all the others and use ot for a final selection as I did with Karaoke King but  Diese des Bieffes was trended without price

3 hours ago, Bubbles180 said:
  • Glad we think alike Billy I also look for the best trend horse without using Prices unless of course the trends suggest a price significants but I use it as my last trend if I have a few selections after all the others and use ot for a final selection as I did with Karaoke King but  Diese des Bieffes was trended without price

Think you agree with Trotter not me:ok
Not looked at the decs yet myself

Warwick Classic Chase

10/10 Had ran within 50 days
We lose 2 Sir Mangan and Indian Castle

9/10 Aged 8 or older
We lose Ballycross

7/10 Carried less than 11-7
We lose Missed Approach, Goodtoknow, Cogry, Cresswell Breeze, Crosspark, Milansbar.

8/10 Rated lower than 145
We lose none

8/10 Finished in frame on last completed start
We lose Topper Thornton, Russe Blanc, Itstimeforapint

Left with 3 runners
On The Road, Emperors Choice and Krackatoa King

On The Road hasnt won a chase over 3m, 9/10 winners have.

Going to go for Krakatoa King as he is a course winner

1pt EW 9/1 William Hill

:ok

Lanzarote Hurdle

9/10 Aged 7 or under
We lose William Henry, I Shot The Sherrif, 

9/10 Ran within 50 days
We lose River Frost, Bags Groove, Topofthegame, Red Indian, Wishfull Dreaming, Le Patriote and Man From Mars

8/10 Carried less than 11st 4lbs
We lose El Terremoto, Top Ville Ben, 

Left with Diese Des Bieffes, Spititofthegames, Couer Blimey, Dentley De Mee and Dino Velvet.

I'm going for Spiritofthegames due to him being the only 6yo left on my shortlist and he will be ridden by a claimer, both stats show up well in recent times. The last 5yo to win was rated 145 so a good class horse (as was the last 7yo to win it). Spiritofthegames has also ran at Kempton (so as Diese Des Bieffes but is half the price) 

1pt EW Spiritofthegames 16/1 Corals

Warwick Classic Chase

I delved a little deeper into the trends and for this race I found it hard to separate Cresswell Breeze and Topper Thornton.

it basically came down to that Cresswell Breeze finished in the places last outing as 7\12 finished in the first three in their previous race.

1 Pt Ew Cresswell Breeze @  9\1 Bet365

Lanzarote Hurdle

Got this one down to Diese Des Bieffes and Spiritofthegames and separated them on the basis of 13\16 returned 10\1 or shorter and 11\16 were in the top three in the betting. Don't think Spiritofthegames will come close in the betting.

1 Pt Win Diese Des Bieffes @ 5\1 bet365