Racing Chat - Saturday Nov 4th

255 Newmarket

Spark Plug 7/2 PP

Brian Meehan's 6yo has had a really good season and four of his last five runs have been well up to this sort of standard. We all know he is ground dependant abd fingers crossed everything looks perfect for tomorrow. The track, ground, grade and Pat Smullen coming over to ride.

11.37 Del Mar: Breeders' Cup Turf, 1m 4f

One last hooray for Highland Reel. He'll go to stud after this - a race he won last year. Or shall we say stole? He got away under a perfect ride by Jamie Heffernan that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Ks7tvV39A

The globetrotter had another productive season in 2017. Winner of the Coronation- and Prince of Wales's Stakes. When he gets his preferred conditions Highland Reel is clearly tough to beat.

I feel that'll be the day here. Trip is perfect, fast ground is what he loves, a perfect draw will enable him to be up with the pace, if not even attempting to make all. The tight, turning track poses no problem to him either.

Main threat is obviously the superb Ulysses. Though the trip is probably slightly on the far side for him and the track configuration may not play to his strengths either.

Best chance for the home team is multiple grade 1 winner Beach Patrol. A wide draw isn't ideal as Highland Reel, once in front, is unlikely to stop.

Selection:
10pts win - Highland Reel @ 9/4 Bet365

00.25 Del Mar: Breeders' Cup Classic, 1m 2f

It's already past midnight when they're off in the Classic! The question many ask: can Arrogate find back to his best? Since his return from Dubai in two subsequent starts he never looked the same horse that was crowned best in the world in 2016.

Can Gun Runner outgun him? Well, he's been bloody impressive in his last three wins and deserves the favourite tag. However he never won over the 10f trip and was comprehensively outstayed by Arrogate in the Dubai World Cup.

The answer must lie somewhere else: West Coast? Maybe. Won two Grade 1's on the bounce. Landed the Travers. Not much wrong with that. He stays the trip, has the right form in the book and is an interesting price.

You can, if you want, knock the form, though. None of those beaten behind him would be fancied to go close in Classic at all. In fact, Travers runner-up Gunnevera is considered a 50/1 shot!

Improving Collected won the Pacific Classic, beat Arrogate that day. So he stays the trip and is still a progressive sort. The wide draw is a concern but he should be thereabouts.

Aiden O'Brien tries his luck once more. He throws Churchill into the ring. It's unlikely the dual Guineas winner will enjoy this test on dirt I suspect, but I can see why "the lads" do it.

If he runs well if will enhance his commercial value as a stallion. If he doesn't perform it won't devalue anything he did the last two seasons.

The seemingly second string is War Decree. A much more interesting case, I feel. From a pedigree perspective he is bred to act on dirt and is a half-brother to Declaration Of War who came quite close to win the BCC some years ago.

Nonetheless the immense test this race is may still come as a shock to the system. Until he runs we don't know whether he really acts on the dirt or not. It's more likely he won't. However I love a couple of facts if it comes to War Decree:

He's still lightly raced and had a significantly lighter season than most in the field. He demolished a fair field in a Dundalk Group 3 when last season, travelling like a really good horse. Of course he meets different class and a different surface here - still War Decree looks in tip top form.

Taking it all in, he's no 50/1 chance in a Breeders' Cup Classic field that is wide open in my mind. With the places paying at 1/4 odds, this looks a tremendous bet.

Selection:
10pts win e/w - War Decree @ 50/1 Bet365

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.