Dandy Nicholls Quits

Surprising news that Dandy Nicholls has quit training from immediate effect;

I know he has been involved in a court case recently where he had been accused of Sexual Assault but it never dawned on me that he was on the verge of giving up.

Great trainer of sprinters, would quite often have 3 or 4 in a race down at Goodwood or up at Ayr.

RPost

David Nicholls, dubbed the 'Sprint king' after winning nearly every major Group 1 sprint, has announced he is to quit training with immediate effect.

Nicholls, who partnered more than 400 winners as a jockey, took up training in 1992 and won the July Cup, Nunthorpe and Prix de l'Abbaye.

Continent and Regal Parade struck twice at Group 1 level for the trainer, while the likes of Bahamian Pirate, Moss Vale and Tax Free helped him dominate the sprinting scene for years.

Nicholls, who endured a lean spell in recent seasons, faces a trial in the summer on two charges of sexual assault relating to incidents at his Tall Trees yard in Sessay, near Thirsk in North Yorkshire.

His final runner was a winner as stable star Sovereign Debt landed a valuable race in Doha last month.

Nicholls, 60, tweeted on Wednesday night: "Sovereign Debt was our last runner from Tall Trees as due to financial problems we have had to cease training.

"It was nice to go out on a high during what has been a difficult time and I'd like to thank all our owners that have supported us."

Former champion jockey Silvestre de Sousa tweeted: "So sad to hear that Dandy Nicholls has had to give up training.

According to the story in the Post Adrian Nicholls is retired and is now an instructor at the Northern Racing School

I remember 'Dandy' as a jockey ...............I wonder if he got his nickname after Alf Garnett's Mrs ..........the silly old moo !