** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Yankee Attitude

Doddsy

OK, I know most of us on here know that Americans think they are the best poker players on earth, and sorry to complain about another bad beat (don't want to make that a regular post on my behalf) but I have to let my anger out:@ Playing in a 0.10/0.25 cash game sitting in middle position. Holding 99 so make a small raise just to try and steal the blinds, raise up to $1. Everyone folds apart from the button who raises it up to $5. Normally I would throw the hand straight away but this guy has been making large raises all night so I call. Flop comes 2 4 9 all unsuited. I am holding the nuts, so check. Opponent raises $10, so I put him on a higher pair or representing an AK, AQ. I re-raise $25.00, he goes over the top again putting me all in for my remaining $47. I call immediately and sure enough he has AA. What happens next is one of the worst bad beats I've had. Turn comes 3. I'm safe. River comes 5 and he makes a straight busting me out.:cry OK, bad beats happen and if he had caught an Ace, I probably wouldn't be complaining (as much) but for 2 cards to come down in a row like that makes me want to scream.:wall But then, he starts having a go at my play saying he was beating me all the way and that I didn't know what I was doing and how much more he would love to play me to take the rest of my bankroll off me! Didn't want to argue on the table as I think it looks very unprofessional. Fair enough I was behind before the flop and possibly I should have thrown it there and then but I had the nuts when the flop was dealt and he caught 2 lucky cards. Why do Americans have to rub it in so much? Anyway, ramble over, cheers guys I feel better already.:ok

Re: Yankee Attitude Bunch of tossers the lot of them fkin hate 'em angry.gif Walk around with there pants half down waving their hands about and wearing oversized clothes and loads of bling stupid cnuts. What have they given to us fcuk all McD's,Kentucky Fried and fckin baseball hats thats all.. bet we invented poker and they just claim they did BASTARDS angry.gif Give America back to the Red Indians thats what I say at least they like to get pissed beer_drink.gif Got one of those Yankee fridges at home fkin hate that as well angry.gif

Re: Yankee Attitude Since I've spent some time in America and have lots of American friends, I have to say not all Americans are like this ... not even most of them. But there are a depressing number who are completely self-obsessed: they think it's just "healthy confidence". The other Americans hate them too.

Re: Yankee Attitude Every American I've ever met I've got on well with. I find it funny when things like this happen - they're just pretending to be Phil Hellmuth. He didn't really believe he was beating you, he's just copying what he's seen on tv.

Re: Yankee Attitude Don't know if you've been to America, Dave? There are an awful lot of Americans who have never travelled outside the USA, and rarely outside their own state. This is unhealthy (a lot of Americans I know agree with this) and can lead to small-mindedness and lack of understanding of the rest of the world. TV news in America doesn't help: there's almost no foreign news (unless there's a war going on). I think that the majority of the Americans who fit the negative stereotype fall in this class. Those you meet outside the US tend to be much more open-minded, and are often very apologetic about their countrymen.

Re: Yankee Attitude Yeah, I'm not suggesting that all Americans are like the ones I've met, only that I'm sure that the poker players don't truly believe they are ahead in situations such as the one Doddsy describes. Interesting that you mention TV, as it is the poker they see on TV that causes them to behave like they do at poker tables.

Re: Yankee Attitude You might be right. I can understand (but not agree with) somebody losing their temper and being rude when they lose a hand. But if they win a hand, I can't understand why they would criticize a losing opponent's play, even if the opponent had played really badly. I've found you can sometimes turn this to your advantage, though. I was recently playing in a STT, raised preflop (don't remember what exactly what I had) and got an unhelpful flop. I judged (wrongly) that if I bet again there was a good chance that the remaining players would fold. They all got to see the heap of parrot droppings I had, one of them said "u r mad", another said "or stupid". Resisting the temptation to argue, I said "or both", and from then on they played on the assumption that I was a nutter, which helped me knock them out later on. Revenge is sweet.

Re: Yankee Attitude Maybe. Don't think it would work against me on the internet. I don't get upset by this kind of thing, because of the anonymity of playing on the net. But it would probably upset me more if somebody was sitting next to me and abusing my play. Guess I should stick to playing online.