New Distances query

I was just doing some research for Saturday's races and came across something strange.

When looking at the BetBright Chase i noticed that Rocky Creek was not a Cours and Distance winner despite actually winning this race twelve months ago on the same track over the same advertised trip of 3 miles.

I then noticed in last years race result it had the letters OMS after the race distance.

After some digging i think the answer is that it means 'Old Measuring System' which means Rocky Creek has not been credited with a C/D win just because they have remeasured the track and now its a few yards shorter.

They used to measure race courses from the middle of the track and now they have to measure them 2yds out from the inside running rail, which i suppose is where a horse would likely run. Quite a few tracks are now running races actually less than 2 miles.

I thinks its daft not stating C/D winners though!

Rule (F)41.4 requires the minimum distance of a Hurdle/Chase race to be no less than two miles. Until now, on the old methodology, courses that measure at least 1m 7f and 166yds satisfy this requirement as they are rounded to the nearest half furlong. Under the new methodology there are 11 courses with a minimum trip whose description is slightly less than two miles. All options for repositioning the starts in question have been explored, however where that hasn’t been possible, the racecourses in question have been granted dispensation from this Rule on the basis that the historical use of the start has been approved.

“For jump racing in particular, it is essential that Clerks of the Course have the scope to move running rails so as to provide the best possible racing surface especially during periods of inclement weather. Having a base measurement means that changes to race distances can be advertised more accurately, particularly if late changes to the racing line are necessary due to dolling out.”

The revised measuring methodology using an inner line rather than centre line means that the advertised distances of longer races will be more affected by the re-measuring. The greatest impact is on the 4m 3 ½f race at Market Rasen which will now be described as 4m 2f, while the Crabbie’s Grand National will now be advertised as 4m 2 ½f and will still remain the longest race in Britain.

On 2/22/2016, 7:09:57, BillyHills said:

I was just doing some research for Saturday's races and came across something strange.

When looking at the BetBright Chase i noticed that Rocky Creek was not a Cours and Distance winner despite actually winning this race twelve months ago on the same track over the same advertised trip of 3 miles.

I then noticed in last years race result it had the letters OMS after the race distance.

After some digging i think the answer is that it means 'Old Measuring System' which means Rocky Creek has not been credited with a C/D win just because they have remeasured the track and now its a few yards shorter.

They used to measure race courses from the middle of the track and now they have to measure them 2yds out from the inside running rail, which i suppose is where a horse would likely run. Quite a few tracks are now running races actually less than 2 miles.

I thinks its daft not stating C/D winners though!

Have you seen what they've done to the Grand National? I think it's due to be run over 4m2f this year, they'd knocked it back 1/2 furlong but have altered it further as far as I'm aware. Wetherby messed up with their distances last season, Cole Harden had impressed on the clock but then we found out he'd actually run nearly half a furlong extra and set an amazing time. Haydock are also very suspect with their measurements, they keep moving the rail out.

3 hours ago, mowgli77 said:

Have you seen what they've done to the Grand National? I think it's due to be run over 4m2f this year, they'd knocked it back 1/2 furlong but have altered it further as far as I'm aware. Wetherby messed up with their distances last season, Cole Harden had impressed on the clock but then we found out he'd actually run nearly half a furlong extra and set an amazing time. Haydock are also very suspect with their measurements, they keep moving the rail out.

From what i can remember reading it will also be run later in the afternoon than normal, do they kick off something like 17:20 or 17:30 ?

: Yeah its 5.15 to maximise worldwide TC coverage would you believe. 

: 4m 2f 74 yds is the exact distance of the National this year.

Wincanton is officially the shortest trip the jumpers have to go, 1m 7f 65yds!

:ok

Tracks under 2m

• Ascot 2m Hurdle – 1m 7f 152yds
  • Ayr 2m Chase – 1m 7f 112yds
  • Catterick 2m Chase – 1m 7f 145yds, 2m Hurdle – 1m 7f 156yds
  • Haydock Park 2m Chase (Inner) – 1m 7f 157yds, 2m Hurdle (Normal and Brush) – 1m 7f 144yds
  • Hexham 2m Chase – 1m 7f 133yds
  • Huntingdon 2m Hurdle – 1m 7f 121yds
  • Leicester 2m Hurdle – 1m7f 113yds
  • Musselburgh 2m Hurdle – 1m 7f 124yds
  • Sandown 2m Chase –   1m 7f 119yds
  • Southwell 2m Chase – 1m 7f 153yds, 2m Hurdle – 1M 7f 153yds
  • Wincanton 2m Chase – 1m 7f 149yds, 2m Hurdle – 1m 7f 65yds

They should bring in handicap chase sprints

Five furlongs, four fences, 20 runner fields..........sponsored by bookies to ensure 5 non runners

Lady jockeys only..........err, in bikinis

Whips with flashing lights

Races 15 minutes apart with cartoons between times

That should get the soccer crowd watching.........:D

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

They should bring in handicap chase sprints

Five furlongs, four fences, 20 runner fields..........sponsored by bookies to ensure 5 non runners

Lady jockeys only..........err, in bikinis

Whips with flashing lights

Races 15 minutes apart with cartoons between times

That should get the soccer crowd watching.........:D

It's always a comfort when another member appears to have the same crazy imagination as me lol

Slow motion finish in HD would be awesome along with the female version of the Frankie flying dismount :lol