** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Large handicap early price system

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Large handicap early price system It won't have escaped the notice of anybody who's been following this thread that the profit figure has been in freefall for the last few weeks. embarassed.gif Although at least I am still in profit. I've been looking at the figures to try to see what's up, and I've convinced myself that there is a promising silver lining. This will probably seem like I'm making excuses, but that's not my intention. I'm still betting on these myself, so it's not in my own financial interest to kid myself that it's worth betting if that's not the case. The last winner was way back on the 16th of July. eek2.gif Before that day, there were 98 selections, with 5 winners and 18 more horses placed. On the place half of the bets, there was a profit of 46.72 points, or a yield of +47.67%. On the win half, there was a loss of 7.4 points, or a negative yield of -7.55%. Since 16th July there have been 82 selections, of which 19 were placed. On the place half of the bets, there was a profit of 38.96 points, or a yield of +47.51%. Of course, the win half has made a loss of 82 points for a yield of -100%. So the place half of the bets have been doing just about as well during this fallow spell as they did before. Now why won't these pesky bookmakers take place-only bets? (You don't have to answer that!) So it looks as though the long-term profitability (or otherwise) of this system is down to how large the loss on the win half of the bets is. And unfortunately, it's going to take more than a couple of hundred bets to be confident about that, since, at the big prices that are typical, a winner or two more or less will make a big difference. I honestly don't have any idea whether this will show a profit in the long term. Certainly no winners in 82 bets is unlucky, but maybe the 5 winners in 98 bets before that were very lucky. Since the early prices I'm taking are almost always better than SP (and often considerably better), I'm optimistic that the big loss I've made on the win bets may turn out to have been unlucky, but who knows? Anyway, if anybody is betting on these, good luck but it's at your own risk. There are some ideas that may be more profitable. I could try laying the win on Betfair, but it's not so easy to lay a decent amount at big prices, since the amount available on BF to lay at a reasonable price is typically quite small on these horses, and in any case I'd need to keep quite a large balance in my BF account to cover the possibility of the horse winning. Another idea, that I'm fairly sure would be profitable in the (very) long term is to back these horses in EW doubles (or trebles). If the 47% yield on the place half holds up, then that's enough to make a small profit on EW doubles even if the win double never came in. The problem is that you'd need two or more selections on the same day where the same bookie has the best early price (this does happen, but it would cut down the number of bets considerably). Also I don't know how big a bet you could get on: I have been placing EW doubles and trebles with Sporting Bet/Sporting Odds on these selections and the selections of my original sports-punter.com system, mainly because they limit me to silly amounts on singles, and I can typically get £10 EW on at Sporting Bet and £5 EW at Sporting Odds. And finally, you'd have to wait for a win double to come in to win a meaningful amount, and since I've been waiting nearly two months to get just one winner, that could be a very long wait. Anyway, I have four selections running this afternoon, so let's hope this is the day things turn around.

Re: Large handicap early price system Briery Lane was placed and the other three lost. I think there should be a 5p Rule 4 deduction on Briery Lane, but I placed that bet in a WH shop, so I won't be sure of the amount until I pick up the winnings. If I'm wrong I'll update the figures later. So a 2.225 point profit (55.625% yield) on the place bets, but still waiting for that elusive winner, so an overall loss of 1.775 points on the day. Starting bank: 100 Staked: 378 P/L: +9.50 (win -81.40, place +91.90) Current bank: 109.50 Yield: +2.51% Bets: 189 Win: 6 Place: 39 Lose: 144

Re: Large handicap early price system

Now why won't these pesky bookmakers take place-only bets? (You don't have to answer that!)
Two ways round this. Most bookies will take place bets in-shop over the tote but the problem being you dont know what price you're getting until after the race. The other option is backing the place on Betfair.

Re: Large handicap early price system It wasn't a serious question! Since this system specifically looks for horses where the Betfair place price is very low compared to the place half of an EW bet at best early price, backing on Betfair is likely to eliminate most if not all of the profit. And I did look at Tote place returns once, but they were even worse. Actually, there is one conventional bookmaker (Centrebet) which takes fixed odds place-only bets. But their place prices are often less than the usual EW terms.

Re: Large handicap early price system

Since this system specifically looks for horses where the Betfair place price is very low compared to the place half of an EW bet at best early price, backing on Betfair is likely to eliminate most if not all of the profit.
E.g., the place prices I'm getting on my five runners in the Thirsk 5.00 are 6.00, 9.25, 11.00, 13.50 and 11.00. In comparison, the place prices currently available on Betfair are 4.50, 7.20, 7.40, 7.80 and 6.60.

Re: Large handicap early price system Beverley Beau came 4th, making a profit of 4.25 points on the place bets and a 5 point loss on the win bets for an overall loss of 0.75 points. And that brings my run to 91 without a winner ... I'm looking for the century here! I noticed that there was a discrepancy in my last P/L figures P/L: +9.50 (win -81.40, place +91.90) I tracked the mistake back to 10/9/05. The win and place figures are correct (I hope), but the overall profit should have been +10.50. After today: Starting bank: 100 Staked: 388 P/L: +9.75 (win -86.40, place +96.15) Current bank: 109.75 Yield: +2.51% Bets: 194 Win: 6 Place: 40 Lose: 148