** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Laying down K/K with no ace showing

A.W.E.S.O.M.-O 1973

So the Christmas game comes around and there's 7 of us for the title (and name engraved on the trophy)... we're playing antes only (no blinds) and I've made a good start and have nearly twice the average stack... then I get dealt K/K and it checks all around, the ante was 200 and I made it 500 with three players to act (the dealer was next, with two players in what would normally be the blinds)... a guy I've rarely seen re-raise without his tournament life being on the line raises to 1,000 where the BB would normally be and I think there's not many flops where being all-in would make me more pleased than had I called, so I call, and me and him see the flop.... it comes down J,10,8 and he shoves all in (to leave me probably about 6th of 7 if I lose)... the fact he gave me the smile like "There's no way you're beating this" before he'd re-raised pre-flop makes me think he has pocket aces, kings, queens or jacks (maybe tens, but not likely))... so two of those have me well f*cked, one has me splitting the pot, and one has me winning..... I thought and thought and laid down the kings... I went on to be 5th of 7 and he was 2nd... he swears to me he flopped a set of jacks, but it's playing on me ever since... am I a complete shit-for-brains for laying down kings to a jack-high board, or what? I guess I can imagine him having an ace-king, too... damn, I don't know if I did something great, or did something noob... :D

Re: Laying down K/K with no ace showing You always have to go with your read. My 3 biggest tournament wins have all been in similar circumstances when I have laid down KK. In all 3 they had flush or trips. 2 times I ddin't. One in a big tourny late on close to the money when he had AA and I was crippled and one other where he had AA and I got extremely lucky and hit a K. In every case I had either put them on trips or AA. Folding in that spot didn't lose you the tourny. It will also depend on your stack size in relation to blinds and anti's. If your short then shoving may be your only option. However too many players shove with KK's even when they still have plenty of chips even though its pretty obvious they are losing. Plus if the other guy had say AK he probably would have told you.

• 4 months later...