British Champions Series - National Hunt Style

After the relative success of the Qipco Trail, format rather than results, i have decided to do something similar for the new NH season. As i much prefer the jumps this will almost be twice as big and will consist of 9 different groups of races and 7 in each group. People tend to think the jump season is all about Cheltenham and i can see why, i will be covering 15 races from the Festival in March but i hope to prove that we have plenty of other top class sport from October to April. The obvious ones are the hurdles and chases over 2m and 3m which are trials for the Champion Hurdle and Gold Cup. I am adding the intermediate trip of 2m4f for the chasers and this will lead up the Ryanair and Melling Chase and will also feature decent handicaps like the Paddy Power and Byrne Group Plate. I have decided to do the top handicaps for both codes, concentrating on 2m handicaps for the hurdlers and the big staying handicaps over fences which can take in the Nationals at Aintree, Chepstow and Ayr as well as the Hennessy earlier on in the season and the finale at Sandown the bet365 Gold Cup. Novices are races i will be concentrating on a day by day basis so i'm not including anything up until the big races at the Festival. We have three championship races for novice hurdlers, the same for chasers and then one for the juveniles, the Triumph Hurdle. The final group is for Mares only, this is a decent series now for mares and deserves to be included especially now Quevega has moved aside and we will have a new crop coming through to challenge Annie Power maybe? I'm sure i read somewhere that we have a couple of new races on the calendar and if they are of any interest i will cover them as and when they appear. My staking will be open ended with anything from 0-10pts per selection depending on the strength of opinion. Races in my series; 2mcbno1.jpg :ok

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style

Will follow with interest BH. Just day of race or a little antepost thrown in as well?
Thanks Dan, not mad keen on Ante-Post but not totally against it so will watch out for anything i like. Will be going to quite a few big Saturday meetings this year up and down the country so another reason to get a grip on the Cheltenham form this season. Should be able to get some decent photo's too. Deffo going to Aintree on 25th Oct, Cheltenham on 18th a strong possibility and at least one Sat in November, probably the Hennessy at Newbury. :ok

• 2 weeks later...

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style Looking forward to this. Have a growing interest in National Hunt and keen to see the new season getting underway. But have not much of a clue what the big races are, apart from the two three obvious ones. So looking forward to learn a bit through your thread. Good luck - may it be profitable! :ok

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style New race added at Haydock in November;

Haydock Park Racecourse is pleased to confirm a new Hurdle Race for The Betfair Chase Festival in November – which will target leading candidates for the 2015 Champion Hurdle. The Betfair Price Rush Hurdle will be a Class 2 weight for age race run over 2 miles on Haydock Park’s Outer Flat Track, for a Total Prize Fund of £100,000. The Betfair Price Rush Hurdle will be run for the first time on the Saturday of the two-day Festival, which is held on Friday 21 and Saturday 22 November

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style Ok here we go, the first race of the season the Old Roan Chase at Aintree and to mark the occasion i'm going up to Liverpool tomorrow to witness the event. Decent card and looking forward to getting back in the swing of things. 3.00 Aintree: Old Roan Chase (2m4f) Module is the top weight with a mark of 164 and i'm just of the opinion that this sharp track will not suit him as much as Newbury or Cheltenham where he has excelled in the past. Also better at 2m with some give in the ground. Wishful Thinking, Mister Moonshine, Viva Colonia and Conquisto all ran in this last year. Conquest won it and is better off at the weights but didn't run well all season after Aintree and has a bit to prove now. All of the others are either worse off or on the same marks and not improving so look to have stiff tasks. One that did run 12 months ago with a squeak is Edgardo Sol, he used to be with Nicholls but now has joined Emma Lavelle who took the big race in the week with Court By Surprise. He has won at Aintree before and is 5 lbs lower over fences than last year. I'm not sure what to think of Rolling Aces, he really wants 3m and the yard are in and out. Rajdhani Express is too high in the weights and that leaves us with the likely favourite Uxizandre. He beat Oscar Whisky here in April over C/D and was second at the Festival behind Taquin De Seuil. Thats good form and he will enjoy the ground. Alan Kings horses are in good nick and has the right man in Barry Geraghty in the saddle. Selections: 5pts Uxizandre 4/1 Betfred 1pt Edgardo Sol 14/1 bet365

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style Typed all this out once and lost the post so apologies if it’s too the point. Wetherby has suffered from poor fields this season so far and has had a walk-over already this year. Don’t understand why as the ground has been good and the prize money decent. Anyway we have three top races at the venue tomorrow and the West Yorkshire Hurdle has just 3 entries which is a joke. I hope northern owners don’t come out and start moaning about prize money later on this season. Today we had just 5 runners in the Listed hurdle!! 2.05 : OLBG Mares Hurdle (2m) I don't think this is half as good as last years race when Cockney Sparrow won it for the Quinn yard. They may have the winner again with Aurore D'Estruval who ran well when 5th at Aintree last backend. She finished in front of some decent sorts that day and could have most to fear from the Irish raider Emily Gray who was not disgraced last time when third to Little King Robin who has improved no end. Selection: 4pts Aurore D'Estruval 11/8 Paddy Power 2.40: West Yorkshire Hurdle (3m1f) As mentioned just 3 turn up for this decent contest, Medinas was second in this last year and was run out of it close home and trainer Alan King is in fair form so this one should run up to his mark. At Fishers Cross is the star turn and the class horse in the race and barring accidents he should prove too strong for the other two. Rebecca Curtis, AP and JP McManus will be targeting the World Hurdle at Cheltenham so need to win races like this. The third horse is Cole Harden and he’s a very promising novice from last season, its difficult to gauge how good he is at the moment but watch with interest. Selection: 5pts At Fishers Cross 4/7 Skybet 3.15: Charlie Hall Chase (3m1f) 7 runners line up for a decent renewal of the Charlie Hall and Siviniaco Conti is the warm favourite for the Nicholls yard. He is entitled to be head of the market after beating Dynaste last time out in the Betfred Bowl at Aintree. The Nicholls horses have needed a run so i wouldn't want to be taking a short price about him though. Philip Hobbs cant do much wrong at the minute so Menorah could be a bit of value if he's in the mood. They took the big race last weekend at Aintree and wouldn't need to improve much to get involved. I have always thought Taquin De Seuil would be a proper stayer and this his is first attempt at 3 miles. His jumping needs to be better in this top company but i fully expect him to be much fitter today. Selections: 3pts Taquin De Seuil 4/1 Bet365 2pts Menorah 8/1 Stan James

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style Update; Interesting day at Wetherby and in the Mares race Aurore D'Estruval was very impressive, not actually sure what she beat but is on target to run in the David Nicholson race at the Festival in March and has been cut into as short as 5/1 for that but still available at 8/1 with BetVictor and that looks reasonable when you think Annie Power is the short priced fav and she may go chasing. At Fishers Cross was disappointing in the 3m hurdle, i'm not taking this form too serious at the moment as Medinas was a comfortable second so i reckon alls not well with the Curtis runner just yet. The winner Cole Harden is a nice prospect and can be backed at 20/1 for the World Hurdle. The Charlie Hall went to plan and we got the forecast. Menorah is useful on his day but can be hard to catch right, i'm not sure he's a Gold Cup contender and is better at Aintree in April. Siviniaco Conti continues the frustration of the Nicholls camp and ran a poor race after being given a soft lead. Ante-Post Mares Hurdle: 1pt Aurore D'Estruval 8/1 BetVictor dnyqvr.png

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style 2.15 Exeter: Haldon Gold Cup (2m1f 110yds) The return of Cue Card who was breathtaking last season in the Betfair at Haydock and then was second in the King George. Found to be wrong after that and hasn't ran since. Trainer Colin Tizzard reports the horse fit to do himself justice here and is very hard to ignore despite the trip which probably isn't ideal these days. Balder Success looks the form pick at the distance after winning the Pendil, Maghull and Kingmaker Chases last season and was third to Gods Own at Punchestown on his last start but is expected to gain his revenge here after a nice break. Hinterland lines up the Nicholls camp and if he can return to form he is dangerous but had a poor end to the campaign. Somersby won this last year but is much worse off at the weights now and will find it hard to follow up. At the prices Pepite Rose might be worth a saver, the stable have started well and she receives lumps of weight from the principles. After a lot of thought i'm going to go for Cue Card, he is pure class and the run of Theatre Guide for the yard yesterday gives me plenty of encouragement about his fitness. Selections: 4 pts Cue Card 100/30 Stan James 1 pt Pepite Rose 14/1 BetVictor

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style 3.15 Wincanton: Elite Hurdle (2m) Good turnout for this renewal of the Elite Hurdle and we see the return of former Champion Hurdle winner Rock On Ruby. He tried his hand at chasing last term without much success and ended the season running The New One close at Aintree. Two things against him here, the ground is on the softish side and anymore rain would be a blow and i think he needs further nowadays. Favourite Irving is hard to ignore, he flopped at the Festival but previous to that was very impressive indeed and although some of the Nicholls horses have needed a run, some haven't and his speedier sorts have got away with it. Bertimont was given the race last time and flattered by his winning distance so the 10lb rise is harsh in my opinion and the danger could be Forgotten Voice from the Henderson yard who themselves have had a slow start to the new season. Selection: 8pts Irving 13/8 BetVictor

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style Update: Cruel game over the jumps and a taster of whats to come i suppose with Iriving crashing out at the last when looking the winner. He's 33/1 for Champion which is fair enough, i do think he will bag a decent prize this season but he does dive at his hurdles and maybe needs to go back to Kempton for compensation? Nicholls had 3 first time out winners and maybe people will stop saying 'all' of his need a run now. 21l737s.jpg

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style 2.30 Cheltenham: Paddy Power Gold Cup H'Cap Chase (2m4f 110yds) The second race our Intermediate distance category and a very competitive handicap as per usual. Last year won by Johns Spirit who returns with a bit more to carry this time but is in cracking form and being a cruise merchant who pounces late its not out of the question to see him able to improve yet again. I'm going for an unexposed sort in Buywise. He was dead unlucky here last season at the Festival when making a bad blunder at the wrong time and has since won at the track and on his prep run over hurdles at Ludlow. He's on 146 at the moment and i just think he has more to give and doesnt mind the really soft ground and the trainer Evan Williams pulled a couple out today so if its not right he will be withdrawn and we won't lose anything. As an outsider i like Cantlow who i thought ran ok on his comeback run at Ascot and ran a cracker when second to Double Ross here last year off 4lbs higher. Selections: 3pts Buywise 7/1 Paddy Power 1pt Cantlow 22/1 Skybet

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style Sunday: 3.15 Cheltenham: Greatwood Handicap Hurdle (2m110yds) Ground looks the key here and originally liked Garde La Victoire but he doesnt perform on soft ground, the same remark applies to Blue Heron who was an impressive winner for the Skelton yard recently. My main pick is going to be Baltimore Rock, he has gone up a lot in the weights but is a very progressive type and loves the soft ground and has won in heavy. He was only 4th last time at Aintree but that was on the back of two handicap wins and this sphere is where he does best. For another selection i fancy Baradari to run a decent race. He was third the other day on his seasonal debut and promised a lot last year as a novice. He ran on well at the Festival to finish 5th in the Fred Winter and has won in heavy ground. Selections: 2pts Baltimore Rock 11/1 BetVictor 1pt Baradari 20/1 Skybet

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style Unfortunately i'm heading south to Ascot tomorrow but we have two superb races at Haydock to look at; 3.00 Haydock: Betfair Chase (3m1f) Another cracking renewal and very similar to last years race in which Cue Card beat Dynaste and Conti. Cue Card came off the back of an average display in the Haldon Cup last year and does so again and with the Tizzard horses in great nick i feel i cant desert him now, especially as the prices are decent and the main dangers are all in the same boat. Conti ran poorly at Wetherby, i know a lot has been said about that race but i think he is suited by the tracks that require more stamina than here at Haydock to show his best. Dynaste was my choice last year but i feel the vibes from the Pipe yard is that he may just need this on his way to the King George? I hope he goes well though as he is one of my horses to follow. Taquin De Seuil continues to disappoint me while Menorah is respected on the Charlie Hall run. Selection: 5 Pts Cue Card 4/1 Ladbrokes 2 Pts Dynaste 9/2 Stan James The New One runs in the "champion hurdle' trial and should win comfortably, but the price is very short and with very soft ground expected it doesnt pay to get stuck into these horses at this time of year. We have seen some funny results at Haydock this season but it will be interesting to see how Aurore D'Estruval my ante-post tip for the Mares hurdle at the Festival gets on in this company. No Bet

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style 2.10 Kempton: OLBG Mares Hurdle (3m110yds) Good Kempton card for a Monday and the second race in the Mares series. Nicky Henderson does well with his Mares and plans their races out well along this series and lines up Polly Peachum who won on her seasonal debut at Wincanton the other day. A few of the yards horse have needed a run and all have improved for one so if this horse improves any she will beat this opposition quite comfortably i would think. Alan King's L'Unique is useful on her day as is Caroles Spirit but they will do well to beat the selection on these terms. Selection 5 pts Polly Peachum 5/6 Stan James ________________________________________ 34ilt0o.jpg

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style Ok about time for an update on all things in general. Been busy the last couple of weeks and been enjoying some time at the races for a change. Went to Cheltenham for the Paddy Power and then managed to squeeze in Ascot last Saturday. Supposed to be going to the Hennessy this week an then Aintree on the 6th of December to see the two races over the National fences. Its free to get in at Aintree so no excuse not to travel up for a decent days racing. Not much going right on the betting front in our races to follow but its early days and enjoying it which is the main thing. Small fields have been a problem for years and its difficult in some of the big races to equate the form when we we don't get many competitive contests. At the other end of the scale we have the big handicaps and they are a nightmare to sort out so add that to the very soft conditions and its not too surprising some well backed horses have been turned over. Silviniaco Conti did well at Haydock on Saturday and surprised me a little i have to say. I always thought he wanted a good test of stamina and wasn't suited to Haydock which is sharper than it looks. But he has won at Aintree and Kempton so maybe these tracks are what he wants and maybe Cheltenham isn't his bag. Looks good for the King George in which he's a 7/2 chance generally, well he won't be that on the day if he turns up so looks a fair bet at the moment. Selection: King George, Kempton: 2pts Silviniaco Conti 7/2 Bet365 The Champion Hurdle looks a race to watch this season and we saw The New One and Faugheen in action over the weekend. The former won well enough at Haydock but so he should have although for one split second i wasn't sure he was going to go by Zamdy Man. Anyway he won well enough and earned a 7/2 quote from bet365. Faugheen was impressive at Ascot, he looked superb, the first time i have saw him live and he did the job well beating two decent handicappers in Blue Fashion and Lac Fantana. He's a 9/4 shot for the Festival and while its a bit skinny i wouldn't back anything else at the moment. Three races this weekend, the Hennessy and Long Distance Hurdle at Newbury and we have the Fighting Fifth at Newcastle. Should see More Of That in the 3 mile hurdle taking on Cole Harden. They are 5/2 and 20/1 for the World Hurdle at the moment. Irving takes on Sign Of A Victory in the Fighting Fifth, i do hope Irving gets compensation for his fall last time but will need to be on top form to beat the Henderson runner. The Hennessy looks tricky as per usual and the Mullins horse Djakadam has been well backed all week. Could be heavy going on Saturday and right old slog and wouldn't be wanting to follow any of the runners for a while after that. The Hennessy has ruined many good horses down the years despite having some good winners too. Faugheen at Ascot 2n69avd.jpg

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style 2.05 Newcastle: Fighting Fifth Hurdle (2m) With the defection of Sign Of A Victory and Purple Bay this looks best left to Irving to make up for his unfortunate race last time out at Wincanton. I think he would have won that day and now has to prove he's good enough at this sort of level. The opposition is not the strongest for a race of this type and Arctic Fire is obviously respected from the Mullins yard. The fact that he was beaten by Lac Fantana last year off similar weights makes me think he has something to find with Irving as he was always rated higher by the Nicholls camp. I would love to see Aurore D'Estruval run a big race as i'm on ante-post for the 2m4f mares race at the Festival. She will be better over further. Selection: 8pts Irving 11/10 Stan James 2.25 Newbury: Bet365 Long Distance Hurdle (3m110yds) Decent renewal for a race that the likes of Big Bucks used to use as a starter for the season. It's appropriate that last years World Hurdle winner More Of That lines up and takes on the mantle of being the best staying hurdler around. The yard have gone quiet so anyone wanting to pile in at 4/9 should be a little wary. Jonjo is still running at around 15% and often returns to form at the big meetings so all in all he should be able to take this contest in his stride. He's around 5/2 for the World Hurdle and he would have to win by a mile to shorten up much so the ante-post doesnt appeal at all. For a bet tomorrow? well its tricky to find anything worth doing but i saw Lac Fantana last week at Ascot when he was third behind Faugheen and its interesting that they are turning him out so soon. He's a big price and could be just the value. Cole Harden is a horse i like but at 4/1 isn't a betting proposition for me. Selection: 1pt EW Lac Fantana 14/1 Bet365 1pt F/C More Of That / Lac Fontana 3.00 Newbury: Hennessy Gold Cup Chase (3m2f110yds) Tremendous renewal of the Hennessy and wide open with any of the 19 runners in with some sort of chance. The ground is improving but might be quite dead and we need a real stayer to have any chance here. I'm not a massive fan of this tough handicap so soon in the season and many a decent chaser have had their seasons ended or ruined after contesting this race. Triolo D'Alene has done nothing since his win last year for yet another example. Apart from the obvious past winners like Denman and Bobs Worth (both carried big weights) the roll of honour is not littered with Gold Cup horses as some people seem to think. I do think we need a horse that has some scope off his mark and Fingal Bay seems the sort of horse that fits the profile. His yard are in flying form, the 8yo has only had 3 runs over fences, he won one and then was second to Dynaste, his other run was when he ran out and injured himself. Since then he has won at the Festival over hurdles and loves the testing ground. He stays well and has a fair mark in which he may be able to exploit as the handicapper cant really rate him accurately over fences. Smad Place and Many Clouds are other options, both are improving chasers and stay the trip really well, both stables are in good form and are not over burdened with weight. Selections: 3pts Fingal Bay 9/1 BetVictor 2pts Smad Place 7/1 Bet365 Hopefully i'll be able to 'snap' the winners at Newbury as they return to the winners enclosure.

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style Update; 21ovo5c.jpg As George Osborne would say 'at lest we have done something about the deficit'. Irving won well enough and was cut to 20/1 for the Champion Hurdle. As much as i like the horse he's not going to trouble Faugheen just yet in my opinion. Good news was that Aurore D'Estruval ran well and is now down to 6/1 for the Mares hurdle and will be fav if Annie Power misses the race. Lac Fontana was a let withdrawal and fav More Of That ran poorly in the Long Distance Hurdle , never looked likely to win and with Medinas being victorious it gives the staying hurdling division a question mark over the form now. McCoy said that More Of That may be a stuffy sort who needs plenty of racing and i wouldn't give up on him just yet. The Hennessy was a terrific battle between the one i left out Many Clouds and the top weight Houblon Des Obeaux. It was great for the Sherwood camp and i hope he can recover from this very hard race and still have another race left in him at the Festival or Aintree in the spring. I wouldn't want to be backing any of these anytime soon, it was a real proper slog. I went down to the fence during the Hennessy and this Many Clouds after the last; 2uqlj78.jpg

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style 3.00 Sandown: Tingle Creek Chase (2m) Plenty of runners this year which only tells us that the big guns are missing, no odds on shots so a much better race from a betting perspective. Lets start with Gods Own who has done well lately, he shocked everyone at Punchestown last season and then won the Haldon Cup at Exeter in good style so now this was supposed to be a big test but in truth its only on a par with Exeter as his main danger will be Balder Success once again. Its 2-1 to Gods Own after three meetings between them and i cant see a big enough reason for the King horse to get his revenge or why Balder Success is the favourite? In fact i don't think the King horse runs as well this way round and has been beaten the last three times he's gone right-handed so i don't think he's great value at around 11/4. Oscar Whisky has won twice here before and ran well to finish 4th in the Paddy Power under a big weight last time, he could go well in this company off level weights. Vukova is the dark horse in the race from the Harry Fry yard, only a novice and was beaten on debut and then won by a mile next time out. Was hampered in the JLT at the Festival and now goes for a Grade 1 contest? Its a big ask and i'll be very interested to see how he gets on. Selection: 3pts Gods Own 4/1 Skybet Off to Aintree this week to see the Becher Chase and at first glance i like Mendip Express!:ok

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style 2.05 Huntingdon: Peterborough Chase (2m4f 110yds) Not the strongest renewal of the Peterborough Chase I've ever seen but an interesting contest anyway and i'm keen on Rajdhani Express for the in form Waley-Cohen bunch. I was at Ascot when he ran behind Al Ferof and i thought he ran very well to a point and fancy Huntingdon will suit his style and if he can get into a nice rhythm he will take some pegging back. The yard are in good form and the price is just about right. Selection: 2pts Rajdhani Express 9/2PP

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style Dec 13th 3.10 Cheltenham: International Hurdle (2m1f) Just 8 runners go to post, not a bad number for the race but its still not competitive enough as a few of these are chasing place prize money. It boils down to The New One v Vaniteux and they bet 4/7, 5/2, 12 bar. The Henderson runner is worth keeping an eye on but i'm not sure he has done enough to worry The New One just yet. He was third behind Vautour at the Festival and then second in the Greatwood Hurdle behind Garde Le Victoire. He carried a big weight that day and it was a decent effort. The yard were struggling at that time so it could be that he ran better than the form suggests which would put him in with a shout but you cant ignore the Twiston-Davies runner at this level. I get the feeling Henderson is looking for a replacement for My Tent Or Yours and this will tell him whether Vaniteux is that horse. The New One runs Cheltenham well, stays up the hill and won't mind what ground it is. He won the new race at Haydock last time out and although this is slightly stronger as the runner up that day Zamdy Man also runs he should be able to collect another good pay day on his way to take on Faugheen in the Champion. Shall be at Cheltenham so hopefully will be in the paddock to cheer the winner in! Selection: 10pts The New One 4/7 Betfred

Re: British Champions Series - National Hunt Style 2.25 Ascot : JLT Long Walk Hurdle (3m1f) Fair renewal in a year where we need some new blood in the stayers division and already we have had one or two strange results in this category. Medinas beat Cloe Harden and More Of That last time out and that form is very solid if you think the other pair ran anything like their best which is doubtful. It might be best left to the favourite Zarkandar who ran a terrific race to win in France last time in very good company. Reve De Sivola was behind him that day and needs to bounce back but love this race, track and conditions so ought to finish closer. Aubusson i like, progressing nicely and this is his chance to shine at higher level, at the prices he's worth a saver. Selections: 5pts Zarkandar 5/4 Bet365 1pt Aubussson 7/1 William Hill ____________________________ 3.30 Ascot: The Ladbroke (2m) Competitive as ever The Ladbroke has 18 runners now that Baradari is out which i fancied a little bit. The favourite is the Harry Fry runner Activial. He's been kept for this and the 4yo gets in with just 10st 10lbs. I wouldn't put anyone off him but looks too short now at around 5/1. Next best is Shelford for the Skeltons who is on a roll at the minute and then we have two Irish challengers in the shape of Clondaw Warrior and Bayan. I don't really think any of them stand enough to warrant a bet and are a little short due to connections. One i like is Goodwood Mirage, i backed him last year for a novice event at the Festival and has finally come good this season at Wetherby, he won that day despite McCoy being unable to ride him close home through injury. He can improve and then only worry is the yards form although they seem to be able to run well in big races when they want to. A saver on Gassin Golf at big odds is worth it as one day he will win a big handicap. Selections: 2pts EW Goodwood Mirage 18/1 Skybet (5 places) 1pt EW Gassin Golf 18/1 bet365 (5 Places)