BBOTD Thursday 8th

1.45 Chester - Gabrial The Great 1pt win @ 10/1 William Hill I like the chances of the McCain horse in this race. The same combination of McCain and Lee teamed up to win this race a couple of years ago with Absinthe and this horse looks to hold every chance. He has only had 1 start over hurdles for his new trainer where he was well beaten by Splash of Ginge. That form now looks very strong despite him finishing 20 lengths behind that horse. I think its interesting his new trainer has chosen to bring him to the Chester meeting on his first flat start for the yard seeing as he has such a good record with his horses here. Donald McCain has 3 winners from 8 runners at the track and this horse looks to have everything in his favour. He has the plum draw in 1 and certainly won't mind anymore rain as he has won on soft ground in the past. He also has 2 previous runs at the track for his previous trainer so we know he definitely handles this track. Graham Lee is in fine form at the moment and has a good record here showing a good level stakes profit. His absence from the track wouldn't worry me given who he is trained by but also his record fresh which reads 1-3 for the 2 previous seasons. Finally his handicap mark may prove a stumbling block as his highest winning mark has come on 87 so he is 9lbs higher for this but he does have some good runs to his name from this mark and there is every chance a switch of yards may have freshened him up. Donald McCain may be able to eke out a little more improvement form this horse and I have no doubts he will be spot on for this assignment tomorrow.

Re: BBOTD Thursday 8th 5.00 Chester - Pilgrims Rest 25/1 Corals EW BOG I think that Stellar Express is probably the most likely winner of this race but I also think that Pilgrims Rest is the most overpriced which is why I have put him up in here. He has a patchy record to say the least but I do think you can scratch off a couple of those races. Firstly he ran well on the AW over 9f which was probably a little sharp. The winner of that race has made up into a decent sort this AW season so its pretty solid all told. He then narrowly missed out at Sandown running handily and produced a quick TS time of 82 in the process before flopping back on the AW where he was posted 5 wide on a bend on his first start and in fairness it turned out to be a pretty hot race with the principals all going on to better. He then returned to flat and narrowly lost out to Banchenausgraeanananna (or something like that) albeit he was up with the pace in a modestly run affair. He then completely flopped at Epsom which is a quirky track and easy to forgive before being held up in a very steadily run race on his final start back at Sandown. He has won fresh which adds a little confidence and he has a very good draw at a track that should suit his front running/handy style. The trainer/jockey had a winner between them today as well which also a positive. Not one to get carried away with as whilst I think he has an excellent chance of winning, I also think he is just as likely to finish last if the cards dont drop!

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.