** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Is it really worth it ?

Grex

I am feeling in a negative mood today, so please excuse this thread. I have been running various systems on this forum, some for as long as four years. The performance is: HOMES: 444 bets, 7.5% yield ELO Homes: 150bets, 8.4% yield OVERS: 271 bets, 11.7% yield This equates to a total of 865 bets producing a yield of 9%. If you had put 1 unit on each selection, you would have made a magnificent profit of 76 units over the 4 years. For the rich people who could afford a stake of (say) 10 units, the profit would be 760 units, i.e. 18.5 units per year. I ask myself, is it really worth it for such a small return? OK, it's better that sticking the money in a savings account (not sure what the UK interest rate is at the moment.... 3%?), but savings accounts are certainly less trouble to manage and administer, and there is no risk attached. It all depends on your motives for getting involved in the betting game. Reasons to get involved: You get a buzz from “beating the bookie” You get added excitement from watching a particular football match Reasons not to get involved: You are an addict :p You are in it to make money….. then forget it. If anybody can come up with any good ideas to keep plugging away, please comment :ok

Re: Is it really worth it ? I'm motivated by the challenge (beating the bookies I guess!) but also to make money in the long run. The numbers as you present them don't sound very impressive but if you had started with a spare £1000 (a nice thing to have if you had it!) and backed each of those 865 selections at 5% (£50) of your starting bank you would have made a profit of £3892, nearly quadrupling your investment. A dam site better than any bank account. I agree though, if you want to make meaningful money you need to have the capital available to stake at reasonably high levels.....something I'm still working on. :D

Re: Is it really worth it ? Thanks for the comments, Aldebaran. However, I would like to take up one point.....

.... The numbers as you present them don't sound very impressive but if you had started with a spare £1000 (a nice thing I have if you had it!) and backed each of those 865 selections at 5% (£50) of your starting bank you would have made a profit of £3892' date=' nearly quadrupling your investment...... [/quote'] These figures would only be valid if you had a constant yield over the entire betting period. You will inevitably have losing streaks which will eat into your bank. At a constant staking plan of 5%, it will not recover to produce the quoted profit :\

Re: Is it really worth it ? I am not sure exactly how much work or fun you have doing this but it seems worth it. It seems like you will always seek out sytems and you just might hit on something that hits a higher % and then would Definitely be FUN and worth it. As long as you embrace american odds over decimal odds lol.

Re: Is it really worth it ?

These figures would only be valid if you had a constant yield over the entire betting period. You will inevitably have losing streaks which will eat into your bank. At a constant staking plan of 5%, it will not recover to produce the quoted profit :\
Grex, not sure if you misunderstood me but I was suggesting that level stakes at £50 from an initial bank of £1000 backing all your systems over the four years would have done you ok. Basically, if you invest a sum similar to that which may typically get stuck away in a bank account then the returns would have been much higher. Obviously there is more risk though......

Re: Is it really worth it ? Hi Grex, I've heard from some that a yield of 10% in sports betting is very good and something that few achieve - so I think you should be satisfied with 9% long-term :) As your question: "is it really worth it for such a small return?", I think you've partly answered your own question .. "Reasons to get involved: You get a buzz from “beating the bookie” You get added excitement from watching a particular football match Reasons not to get involved: You are an addict You are in it to make money….. then forget it." Everyone has their own motivations. Personally, I would have 'to make money' as a reason TO get involved, and perhaps have 'buzz' and 'excitement' as reasons NOT to get involved. I'm a bit mistrustful of emotions like excitement as a motive for betting. That spells danger to me. Apart from making money (or giving others the opportunity to make it), there is the satisfaction of crafting a consistent winning system yourself. Like creating or building anything, there's a lot of satisfaction to be had. You might think of this as 'buzz' I suppose.

Re: Is it really worth it ? Depend on what your motivations are tbh but anyone that thinks gambling is "investment" has a problem with addiction because its very addictive and thinking you can make money from gambling just fuels the addiction IMO. So in all I think your systems probably are worth it as they're steady systems, might not make a lot but have discipline and a sound staking strategy.

Re: Is it really worth it ? A professional punter will settle for a 6% - 8% yield on any year. Obviously they will probably be staking much more money, but Grex if you can produce a 10% yield upwards on a consistent basis, you are in an elite group.

Re: Is it really worth it ? Thanks for all your comments, lads (and lassies??). I am in a more positive mood today..... probably because for the first time in about 3 years, I actually placed a bet last night based on a "private" system I have. Sheffield United to win, and Bradford AH(+0.5).... both came good and I made a magnificent profit of 5 euros :loon. Could this be the start of an addiction? :p To summarise your various comments: - If you have a sound system, a good staking plan and a big starting bank, you can make a meaningful profit; - Don't set "making money" as your primary goal, or you risk addiction. As I have said before on other threads, I don't bet (except for last night's diversion), and my main buzz is making a theoretical profit and, of course, receiving PL Oscars :D. If others make a real profit from putting real money on the selections, then that's a bonus.

• 2 weeks later...