National Hunt Racing - Sunday 13th April

2.20 Wincanton - 2pts win August Hill @ 4/1 (Bet365) This represents a drop in class for Philip Hobbs' runner who should enjoy today's conditions and looks capable of landing the spoils. He fell at the last when disputing 4th in a decent 0-115 affair when last seen at Taunton after three months off the track. Pulled hard as is normal there but the hood is applied today in an attempt to settle him down and he was at least running okay in a better race than this. With fitness now firmly back on his side and a drop in class I think he can take all the beating here. The ground will help him see out his race and his second to a 116-rated animal two starts back bodes well for his attempt this afternoon off 103. This looks weak to me and I think things can come together this afternoon. 3.15 Wetherby - 3pts win Dreamy George @ 3/1 (Bet365) Although the race he won last time was a bit of a farce with his rivals crumbling one by one, he impressed with his jumping and did all you could expect from him. He always looked like the winner, even with his competitors were all on their feet and his previous chase form suggests he can win this even if you put a line through that last victory. His 17l 3rd to Karinga Dancer after an absence is no bad run considering that one is a 140-rated animal and the runner-up 137. He was entitled to need the run and it was his chase debut. Followed that up with an excellent second in a novice race where he chased home Victor Hewgo (139 horse) with some smart horses in behind. Conditions are fine here for all he'll stay further and jumps well. Runs off 121 today which looks very exploitable to me and with Denis O'Regan in the saddle I think it'll take a good one to beat him off this mark. 3.50 Wetherby - 1pt win Stand Clear @ 10/1 (Sportingbet) Not a good race and David Thompson's runner does not have a strong strike rate but did win on a return last May here and it's a similar story today having not run since October. We know conditions suit and he's well-handicapped. Didn't run too badly in a seller on his final run of 2013 when against it at the weights. He still ran on for third behind a now 113-rated rival and a 111 horse. Wasn't beaten a million miles and considering he's rated 88 it bodes well for his return into handicap company, especially given the break he's enjoyed. The trainer's last three runners have all gone well and it's interesting that he's opted to book Peter Buchanan for the ride given this one is regularly partnered by claimers. That's maybe an indication of what to expect and I hope he can make another winning reappearance. 4.00 Wincanton - 2pts win Jimmy The Jetplane @ 10/1 (Bet365) Kim Bailey's runner is more than ready for the switch to handicaps having been comfortably held in novice events but he can be forgiven for those now in calmer waters off a mark of 107. Not only has he been competing with decent horses he's had no place to hide having tried going with them throughout with positive rides. His plugging on 5th after a break behind the smart Rainbow Peak on his hurdling debut was a solid effort and then was beaten 27l into 4th next time. That was a good race (front three rated around 130 now) and it was a similar story when last seen at Newbury. He tried to lead a good field but ultimately faded into 6th. There was a clear winner there and I just think you can mark the effort up given his prominent racing style. Conditions look set to suit on handicap debut and his mark of 107 with Ed Cookson taking 5lbs off leaves him with a sound chance I'd say. He'll find it much easier to lead this bunch should the jockey decide it appropriate and can take some steps forward now eased into more realistic company.