Forget the jumps, forget the sand, the real racing has begun!

Re: Forget the jumps, forget the sand, the real racing has begun!

Mainly because I think that there are too many hold up horses in the race. If Hurricane Alan takes up the running (which is quite likely) there may only be a couple within striking distance' date=' Brunel and Babodana. But Babodana's re=appearance was disappointing + Brunel might need the run, so I think Hurricane Alan might just see it out, in what are good conditions for him.[/quote'] Those were the first 3 :loon

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Forget the jumps, forget the sand, the real racing has begun! Well done dave, in top form :)

5th Drawn 5 hd Norse Dancer (IRE) 5T Quinn 2-1
9 0D Elsworth
Held up mid-division, switched left to outer over 2f out, unable to quicken, soon one pace Opened 9/4
2nd hd Society Milliner 3P J Smullen 6-4
9 2D Weld
Tracked leaders, 7th halfway, smooth headway on outer early straight, led over 1f out, ridden and headed well inside final furlong, rallied near finish
Staked: 3pts Returned: 0pts Days Total: -3pts Running Total: +19.1pts Bank: 49.1pts

Re: Forget the jumps, forget the sand, the real racing has begun! Sunday 24th April 2.10 Brighton Going to take advantage of the draw today and ZATO is expected to confirm superiority over Caan. Drawn nicely in stall 2, he is turned out again after nine days when fourth of five at Newbury. He was slow away that day (first race) but once he got the message, he raced well but had too much to do. 3pts @ 2.6

Re: Forget the jumps, forget the sand, the real racing has begun! Thanks, anyone could have picked it but I needed a winner!

1st Drawn 2 :'>Zato (IRE) 2T E Durcan 13-8
9 0M Channon
Held up behind, good headway 1f out, strong run to lead well inside final furlong, going clear close home Opened 6/4, touched 15/8
Staked: 3pts Returned: 7.6 Days Total: +4.6 Running Total: +23.7pts Bank: 53.7pts

Re: Forget the jumps, forget the sand, the real racing has begun! Tuesday 26th April 4.35 Bath A decent race this and one I've boiled down to four possibilities. First those ruled out and Notjustaprettyface and Lady Filly are yet to prove themselves at this level despite some wins early in their careers. Saint Etienne has shown very little since her maiden victory and along with Doohula who is untested over trip and going, will find a few too good. Dame De Noche is held by Paradise Isle and Solar Power and I cant see him reversing that form while Indian Maiden is also untested over trip and going and despite winning four on the sand, is left out. To the four and Kind is looking for a sixth win on the trot and has proven herself over trip and going as well as in a race of this class. Runs off a career high mark and in my opinion, will not get the type of race she seems to need. Jockey Richard Hughes said: "the stronger pace over this trip suits her as she travels so well and can quicken" As I will explain, I dont see this race being run at a strong pace and she may not figure as a result. To the final three, and Paradise Isle was the only horse rated in treble figures when beating Solar Power last season over 6f. This proved her class and she obviously has big claims today. Has won four races in total, one over the minimum trip but not one on softer ground than good. Solar Power was suited to the drop in trip to 6f and may well be suited to the further drop today. He will certainly handle the ground and has a great chance of reversing form with Paradise Isle. However, a chance is taken with SUMORA as I put my pace handicapping 'skills' to the test. After winning a Listed event on her first try at the turf she went off the boil. She returned to the AW this year when 5th behind the impressive Party Boss and should come on for that. Although she hasnt made all in every one of her races, she has done in two of them and has showed good pace in others. With very few front runners tomorrow, she can lead from the start and assuming she handles the ground, she has a great chance. (dave may well tell me I've done this all wrong however!) 2pts @ 6.2

Re: Forget the jumps, forget the sand, the real racing has begun! A quick look through the race and I quite like the look of Dame De Noche, mainly because of the plum 1 draw and the jockey booking of Dettori, but not betting.

2nd Drawn 6 3½ l :'>Sumora (IRE) 3J Fortune 9-1
8 8G Butler
Held up, headway 2f out, stayed on inside final furlong but not pace to trouble winner Opened 15/2, touched 9/1
Staked: 2pts Returned: 0pts Days Total: -2pts Running Total: +21.7pts Bank: 51.7pts

Re: Forget the jumps, forget the sand, the real racing has begun! Thursday 28th April 4.20 Redcar No time for lots of analysis although I have gone through the card. Initally I liked the look of Bonne De Fleur who holds Meccas Mate and Wunderbra from her last run. She took an age to get back to a winning mark however and with the ground reportedly getting softer (against her lto), I have passed her over. MECCAS MATE therefore is taken to reverse placings and to stay ahead of Wunderbra. She did win her subsequent race at Wolverhampton and looks a progressive type. Wunderbra is a winner on heavy ground but I still fancy the other market leader to take the spoils as her mark looks a little more reasonable to expect her to win. 2pts @ 3.45

Re: Forget the jumps, forget the sand, the real racing has begun! Saturday 30th April 2.35 Newmarket A good days racing today and with the main attraction being the 2000 Guineas, hopefully theres money to be made in the other races too. This looks an interesting race but I can feel I can rule out Texas Gold, Fast Heart and Prince Aaron who I feel lack the class to win a race of this calibre against better opposition. Night Prospector is a previous Group 2 winner but finished well down the field when meeting another of todays runners Avonbridge last season and has struggled in his last few races. To those with a chance and although Avonbridge is a classy horse but I won't be having him as he has not won a race in this country in close to two years. He did win in France last season but that was his one and only win over this minimum trip and he seems hard to win with. Moss Vale, for some reason, doesnt seem to me the likely winner of this race. I can't put my finger on it but something tells me thats the case. He is a good horse however and has beaten Ashdown Express allbeit on soft ground. He tailed off in two big races, the July Cup and the Nunthorpe but finished last season with two seconds. Returns to a decent mark but has little experience of this trip and is passed over. The forecast favourite Ashdown Express is also passed over as this is his first attempt at 5f. Although a classy horse as shown with wins in Group One races, he is running off a relatively high mark and is another who hasnt won since 2003. Celtic Mill was the one for me initialy but having read that he may well lead from the off and subsequently drop off if another horse goes with it, I was put off a bit. However, I believed this horse had the class to win but on second reading I am not so sure and have left alone. Despite beating Ashdown Express over 6f, he seems to lack the experience at this level. And so to the selection RINGMOOR DOWN who beat The Tatling and Avonbridge amongst others in a Group 3 at Goodwood last season. Although this form was reversed later in the season, Ringmoor Down reportedly slipped coming out of the stalls in the first race and his busy schecule may also have taken its toll. He finished the season with a second place in a Listed race despite the ground being soft which was forecast as a disadvantage. He is picked out for this one as he has done all his winning on good ground or firmer and is a multiple distance winner. He can sit off the pace and strike late and I believe he has the class to win this, hopefully at a good price. 2pts win @ 7.8 2pts place @ 2.26

3rd Drawn 5 1½ l :'>Ringmoor Down 6T Quinn 6-1
8 13D Arbuthnot
Slow into stride, held up in rear, headway and switched right approaching final furlong, unable to quicken inside final furlong
Staked: 4pts Returned: +4.29 Days Total: +0.29 Running Total: +20pts Bank: 50pts

Re: Forget the jumps, forget the sand, the real racing has begun! Sunday 1st May 1.40 Newmarket Hopeful of a good day today on 1000 Guineas day and I will be looking for horses who are definately at home on firmer ground after Dubawi flopped yesterday. This looks an open race but I can rule out the following with a degree of confidence: Joseph Henry won his first two races but has struggled since and faces classier animals today while St. Andrews Storm has not won since winning a maiden and finds himself outclassed. Raza Cab is yet to win on the turf and like Ghurra and Transaction, needs to improve a lot to have a say here. Finally, Justaquestion is another who will find a few too good. The forecast favourite Couer Courageux is considered Group quality but needs to prove himself on todays ground and with that in mind, I cant have him. Crosspeace disappointed last time out when beaten favourite but should be suited by this trip and the firmer ground. However, I feel he will miss out on the win once more. Paper Talk finally won last time out having been short odds on his first two outings. Importantly, that was over this course and distance but he is likely to be a front runner and is passed over in favour of two who can come from behind. Firstly, LOOKS COULD KILL was fifth over CD last month and the RP noted afterwards: "left the impression another success was around the corner. He sat last but was making eyecatching ground with his long stride" This is important to me and I think he can go very close. He has experience of this class of race when 5th when favourite but he was hampered that day and if he gets a clear run, watch him flatten them all in the closing stages. 2pts @ 6.6 My other selection is INTOXICATING who managed a credible fourth last time despite beind slowly away and being hampered. He steps up to a mile for the first time today but they way he finished last time when he eventually did get a clear run suggests this will suit. 2pts @ 5.8

Re: Forget the jumps, forget the sand, the real racing has begun! 2.10 Newmarket In my opinion, the winner of this one will come from the leading two in the market. Three Secrets and Weecando have both finished behind rival Tarfah and are not about to reverse that form while Summitville has never won and wont do so in todays classier race. Meanwhile, Mango Mischief will lack the class to win this race. Shapira did win the German 1000 Guineas but that was on soft ground and has plenty to prove today. Shamara has at least got experience of higher class races but will need to find a lot to win one today while La Persiana looks like she may have a big race in her and should like the conditions but will find one or two too good. To the final two and Red Bloom is a Group 1 winner having beaten Punctilicious. He has also finished behind the top class Attraction on two occasions. However, several points have forced me to look elsewhere. After a break last season, the RP noted that she was: "showing signs of ring rustiness" She was favourite that day and then again on her final start last season, she put in a below par performance: "...was disappointing, never looking likely to confirm Coronation Stakes form with Kinnaird. She got detached from the leaders early in the straight and could only plug on through the last couple of furlongs." I therefore turn to TARFAH in search of a winner and this fillie looks an impressive one. She has won four of her five races and finished second in the other in which she was unsuited to the soft ground. Twice a listed winner, the last by five lengths which was her first run this season and so she should have the race fitness to confirm her potential. 2pts @ 3.85

Re: Forget the jumps, forget the sand, the real racing has begun! 2.45 Newmarket A small field but a quality won will battle it out for this Group 2 race and other than Massif Centrale who takes a big step up in class, they all have a chance of winning. Bandari is a Group 2 winner of course and distance and has also racked up other Group and Listed wins. He reappeared this season with a disappointing 9th but won on this day last year which was also his second race of the season and has a good chance although he did struggle at the tail end of last year. Millenary won this in 2001 and has won her last two races in what was a very successful 2004. The main worry for this one, and the reason she is passed over, is that she attempts this trip for the first time in almost 2 years and with the firm ground, may not be as well suited as she is to the bigger tests of stamina. Warsan is a Group 1 winner and won this race in 2003 before finishing third last year. Despite his obvious class, he struggled at the tail end of last season in France, Japan and Hong Kong and would probably have appreciated some give in the ground especially on this seasonal reappearance. Alkaased will be perfectly suited to this firmer ground. Other than the first two races of her career, she has never been out of the first two and has two seconds on her seasonal reappearances and so should be alright on that front. She hasnt won a Group race however and while she will in the future, she is passed over for one who has. GAMUT is another Group 1 winner, albeit in France and has plenty of experience in the top races with a 4th and 5th behind Doyen and Warsan respectively. Won this last year and crucially, she is excellent on her seasonal reappearance with two wins and a second. A course and distance winner, she will handle the ground and can get 2005 off to a flyer. 2pts @ 4.4

3.25 Newmarket

To the big one and it looks a bit of a minefield and not one for big stakes.

The one for me however is MAIDS CAUSEWAY who looks to have the class to win this. She is a Group 1 runner up and has won Group 2 and 3 races. Equally at home on soft ground as she is on firm ground, if she comes out after the break well enough, she can take all the beating. The market suggests that Karen's Caper is the one to beat but although her win at this course last month was impressive, I cant help feeling she has more to prove today. The same goes for Shanghai Lily who is unbeaten but has beaten nothing of great quality. She looks a good sort and may well be a top horse one day but I cant see it being today. Cape Columbine was second behind Karen's Caper and has to prove she is capable of reversing that form before she can even think about winning the race. There is every chance that an outsider might win what looks a very open race but I'll side with MAIDS CAUSEWAY for this one. 2pts @ 8.00

2nd Drawn 9 nk Intoxicating 3S Carson 4-1
8 10R Johnson Houghton
Tracked leaders, led over 1f out, headed and no extra well inside final furlong Opened 4/1, touched 9/2
5th Drawn 6 1¾ l Looks Could Kill (USA) 3D Holland 4-1
8 8G Butler
Behind, headway over 2f out, effort over 1f out, soon one pace Opened 10/3, touched 4/1

1st Drawn 3 :'>Tarfah (USA) 4S Sanders 9-4
8 9G Butler
Held up in touch, headway 2f out, not clear run and edged right over 1f out, ridden and every chance inside final furlong, led close home Opened 9/4, touched 5/2

2nd Drawn 8 2½ l :'>Maids Causeway (IRE) 3M Hills 5-1
9 0B Hills
Prominent, joined leader over 2f out, every chance 1f out, unable to quicken inside final furlong Opened 11/2, touched 6/1
Staked: 10pts Returned: +7.30 Days Total: -2.70 Running Total: +17.3pts Bank: 47.3pts

Re: Forget the jumps, forget the sand, the real racing has begun! Wednesday 4th May Hoping to get back on track after those seconds, but rushed for time today. 1.30 Chester STRIKE UP THE BAND was an impressive 7l winner FTO and he is taken to trot up again. 2pts @ 2.32 2.00 Chester FAINT HEART has been racing in better races than the rest and can fend of Higher Love. 2pts @ 2.6 2.30 Chester DR SHARP is well drawn and has won here before, only raised 3lb for win last month 1pt @ 8.4 2pts place @ 2.64 3.00 Chester Kings Thought will lead from the front and may well win but DAY TO REMEMBER is taken to swoop late and continue on an upward curve. Falon is 4/10 for this trainer and is an eyecatching booking. 2pts @ 7.8 3.35 Chester QUIZZENE and Mont Saint Michel are in the Derby and the former should be winning this one, shaped as if he can win at this distance when tried previously and was a winner 12 days ago. 2pts @ 3.00 6.30 Tipperary MARIA LUISA is given another chance after 4 consecutive seconds and can beat Happy To Chat who has only run once in what was a more ordinary race than the selections previous efforts including a second to Kitty O Shea.

2nd Drawn 2 sh Strike Up The Band 2A Nicholls 10-11
8 13D Nicholls
Held up, switched right 2f out, ridden and headway over 1f out, led and edged left inside final furlong, headed post Opened 11/10
4th Drawn 5 16l Faint Heart (IRE) 3J P Spencer 2-1
8 9D Wachman
Chased winner, ridden over 4f out, weakened over 3f out Opened 11/8, touched 2/1
10th Drawn 1 nk Dr Sharp (IRE) 5E Ahern 5-1
8 3T Tate
Slowly into stride, mid-division, headway 10f out, led over 3f out, ridden and headed over 2f out, weakening when not much room over 1f out Opened 6/1, touched 13/2
12th Drawn 11 dist Day To Remember 4K Fallon 6-1
8 7E Vaughan
In touch, ridden over 4f out, weakened quickly 3f out Opened 6/1, touched 13/2
1st Drawn 8 Quizzene (USA) 3K Darley 13-8
8 12M Johnston
Tracked leaders, ridden over 2f out, led over 1f out, ran on Opened 7/4, touched 2/1