System for RP My Ratings

So I don't hijack the previous post created by Trotter I could do with some advice on designing a system for RP My Ratings to use for Novice Hurdles simply as an indication of ability. The plan so far Allocate pts below to winners of novice hurdle Class 1=130 Class2= 120 Class 3= 11 Class 4=100 deduct 1 pt for every lb carried below 12 st good grnd deduct 1 for every 5s above standard good/sft deduct1 every7s soft deduct 1 every 9s heavy 1 every 11s As I cannot view every race and make judgment call I need to rely on rp comments and analysis to make minor adjustments up or down Any advice welcome

Re: System for RP My Ratings This is a topic that interests me very much as I'm always trying out new ways to rate horses First thing I'd say about your proposal is that the time 'penalties' are way out ! Just take any old race and work out how many yards they run per second......the 3.20 at Taunton yesterday was run on good ground and almost 'standard time', just one second above It was 17 furlongs = 17 x 220 yards = 3740 yards It took 3 minutes 51 seconds = 231 seconds 3740 yards divide by 231 seconds = approx. 16 yards per second A horse is approx. 3 yards long so 16 yards = 5 lengths = 1 second At 1lb per length = 5 lbs per second So 5 seconds should equal 25 pounds ! At one time I worked out all the yards per second for all the sprint tracks. They varied between 19.85 yards per second over 5F at Epsom to 17.50 yards per furlong over 6F at Pontefract. The differences were a measure of the different natures of the tracks - obviously horses covered more yards per second (ie ran faster !) on easy or downhill tracks than they did on uphill ones. I expect you'd find the same over jumps..........

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.