National Hunt Racing > Friday March 21st

Newbury 2:40 Regardless of what sort of form a horse is in, you have to stand up and take notice when Dickie Johnson is a 16/1 shot teaming up with Hobbs in a long distance chase with only 10 runners in the field. Doctor Foxtrot looks a big price to my eyes considering he is back down to a mark of 114, 2 pounds lower than his last win. He beat Master Dillon at Doncaster over 3m1f in February 2013 off a mark of 116 and although that was over hurdles and this is over fences, if he can translate that form to the bigger obstacles he must have a chance tomorrow. This will only be his third run over fences so obviously he needs a bit of time to get used to them and hopefully he can go much better off a much better mark tomorrow with Johnson taking over in the saddle from James Best. Doctor Foxtrot WIN @ 16/1 Sky Bet

Re: National Hunt Racing > Friday March 21st Newbury 2.40 - Royal Guardsman 11/2 William Hill I was quite sweet on this horse when he unseated at the first at Kempton on Saturday because he has some really solid form in the book already and I just get the impression that he is getting the hang of things with every run he gets. On his last start he ran in a really hot race with the top 6 all showing some form of improved form since (Next Sensation won, Gods own and Turn Over Sivola placed). Before that he was running a very nice race at Sandown over this trip when he slithered on landing at the second last when he was still on the bridle and looking as though he was about to launch a challenge to the winner. That isnt scintillating form, but it looks solid enough especially as he was going as well as anyone before the error. His jumping is improving with every start and whilst their are one or two to be wary of in this field (Aidy makes a good point about Doctor Foxtrot above, Ziga Boy & Deciding Moment are unexposed types, Mics Delight is sure to travel well but not likely to find much) but if the selection does keep on improving and is none the worse for his mishap at Kempton I would be disappointed if he didnt go close. Sedgefield 3.25 - Oscar Tanner 11/2 Skybet This is an awkward little race with the whole field composed of unexposed types but despite that I quite like the look of this half brother to Ted Veale who has shown some solid form against some decent enough horses on his last two starts to suggest that he is very well handicapped off a mark of 122. I was impressed with his run LTO behind a very solid yardstick in Calculated Risk as he was narrowly denied in what looked like a decent race over C&D with the strung out 3rd and 4th going on to place since. Prior to that he looked as though the run was needed on his first race of the season (again over C&D) when he was giving lumps of weight but still ran really well behind two horses that have also gone on to do well in the mean time. I get the felling this final may well have been the plan and giving his liking for the track and trip he should run a bold race again tomorrow, albeit for only limited stakes for me given the unknown ability about some of his rivals.