Computer Straight Forecast - calculation

Does anybody have a link to the formula / algorithm, or any info on the CSF calculation. Today at Cheltenham 1.20; Oscar Whiskey (5/6) beat Taquin du Seuil (6/4). The CSF only returned 2.51 (=6/4). The pool Exacta 2.30 (even worse). I thought the formula was based on "add one to either price, then multiply", eg evens + evens gives 2/1. Now I remember hearing popular combinations have had the formula cut back - eg fav beats 2nd fav, certain draw combinations at certain tracks. The Cheltenham example above was an example of fav beats 2nd fav - but I would still expect better than the odds of one runner. Thanks

Re: Computer Straight Forecast - calculation

The Cheltenham example above was an example of fav beats 2nd fav - but I would still expect better than the odds of one runner.
You're very likely to get round about the odds on the 2nd runner when a roughly even money favourite wins. It's not an exact science as it's similarly tote based, but i've been served well by roughly putting £1 on the winner, then result of that less £1 unto the 2nd. Which wouldn't have been far off in your Oscar/Tarquin example. Irish racing and dogs usually pay slightly better than this and English horse racing usually slightly less, though yes it can be favourite dependent, but you shouldn't ever be far out with that working. I used to 'practice' it for years working in a bookies and it was the best method I found.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.