Why are the Irish horses out-gunning the UK horses on their turf?

It has been a familiar sight this year and for a number of years, but the Irish seem to do incredibly well at Cheltenham and Royal Ascot. My question is, why is this the case? O'Brien is mopping up this week at Ascot. I don't believe for a second that Ireland have the better horses and the better trainers, there has to be more to it? Would it be possible that Irish horses are kept fresher than the UK horses? There is less racing in Ireland, whereas in the UK a horse could run 3 or 4 times a month in some cases. You see a big competitive race in the UK every single Saturday. I am just wondering do the Irish save that little bit extra in a horse in preperation for the big days, where they come up against the exposed UK horse?

Re: Why are the Irish horses out-gunning the UK horses on their turf? Isn't it 6-6 so far this week?:p I know what you mean though Aidy, not sure about the flat, i mean O'Brien should be winning top races or he would be sacked with the ammo he has. I do think the Jump trainers do well at Cheltenham because their prep races are weak affairs and dont have to have hard races in the lead up to the Festival. Mullins is very shrewd and places his horses well.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.