Top 20 Trainers List

Hello, I have not posted for a long timeas I have been hors de combat - it's an age thing :cry. However, I still keep an eye on racing and wondered whether simple systems ever work in the end? In 1978 a letter published in the Sports Forum of the defunct Sporting Chronicle Handicap Book claimed that following the top 20 trainers from the following season stop-at-a-win down the card at the principle meeting had been profitable for many years. This is a synopsis of that letter: Trainers List

"Find the up-to-date trainers stats on the Racing Post web site.

Note the top 20 trainers based in England.

Number them from 20 down to 1 for total prize money won (right hand side).

Number them from 20 down to 1 for their current season percentage strike-rate.

Split any equal of the above by taking the one’s with the highest prize money first.

Add the 2 columns and divide by 2 to get a final list of 20 down to 1.

Now add an increment for runners placed last time out in the current season: ~

Win add 10, 2nd add 7, 3rd add 6, 4th add 3.

Splitting any that are still equal to get a single qualifier: ~

Take the runner that has been off track for the shortest period of time." Times change and nowadays much more information is available to the punter so I now make an updated list each Sunday amended by not using prize money but percentage strike-rate instead. Here is the list for the Flat updated April 14: 20 O'Meara, 19 Simcock, 18 Botti, 17 PD Evans, 16 Adielson, 15 Fahey, 14 Johnston, 13 C Hills, 12 Hannon, 11 GL Moore, 10 Bowring, 9 SC Williams, 8 McCabe, 7 R Harris, 6 AW Carroll, 5 AM Balding, 4 M Appleby, 3 D Nicholls, 2 D Shaw, 1 Osborne. Windsor today in order of merit 2.20 Anticipated 2.50 Noverre To Go 3.20 You Da One, Sand Boy, Red Refraction 3.50 Mean It, Authoritarian 4.20 Emulating, Refer 4.50 Gaelic Silver, Garrisson 5.20 Boston Blue, April Ciel, Jolly Roger There you have it, lots of selections but sometimes good odds but boring really

Re: Top 20 Trainers List The system had a winning start with Anticipated in the first race yesterday, without setting the world alight. No UK mainland Flat turf meeting today so can we amend the system for the jumps? I usually rearrange the top 10 from the trainers table and these from Kempton today are from stats noted on the 11th April. Henderson has a lot of runners out so we could be in luck: 1.50 Rule Of Thumb 2.10 Miss Tenacious (No top 10 trainer but won LTO) 2.50 Master Of The Game 3.25 Lat Shot 4.00 Miss Ballantyne 4.35 Minnella Special 5.10 Larks Lad 5.45 Benedictus (Not a top 10 trainer but won LTO)

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.