Sat. 5.10: Conditional Jockeys Handicap Hurdle 2m110y

Re: Sat. 5.10: Conditional Jockeys Handicap Hurdle 2m110y 5.10 Aintree - 2pts win Ranjaan @ 8/1 (Bet365) The signs suggest this one is going to be very well backed (already nudged in) but it is with good reason in my opinion. I backed him at Cheltenham but the rain unfortunately came again having initially the ground dried up a bit so the conditions were worse than when I placed the bet. He really, really needs a sound surface so you can excuse a lot of his form. His record on good to soft or better is 112F110. The 0 came at Cheltenham last time but I think that's a bit misleading as the ground was worse than that in my opinion given the rain in the hours prior to the contest. Anyway he finished in midfield, making some late ground up, but has been dropped 5lbs for that effort and with Harry Derham taking a further 5lbs off in this conditional/amateur riders contest I think he's off a good mark. He won a decent race off 132 at Taunton last season and effectively goes off 130 here with conditions right for the first time in ages. His hurdling wins have come at sharpish tracks in Taunton and Kempton so the flat and easier venue should suit and prior to his Cheltenham run he was a solid 2nd in a jumpers bumper at Kempton - proving he is in decent nick. You can safely excuse his seasonal debut earlier this campaign when going ok for a fairly long way on bottomless ground at Ascot and with his mark lower now and conditions in his favour it's hard to see him not putting in his best hurdling performance for a while.