Tuesday 2:05: The Arkle Challenge Trophy

• 1 month later...

Re: Tuesday 2:05: The Arkle Challenge Trophy The Arkle Challenge Trophy Stats: 12 of the last 13 winners are rated 142+ over hurdles Only 3 of the last 21 winners have been sent off favourite Only 1 of the last 21 winners have been sent off at bigger than 11/1 No horse older than 8 has won in the last 15 years I have already advised my bet in this race a while ago - an e/w ante-post bet on ARVIKA LIGEONNIERE. He would be of no value should the race be less than 8 runners on the day (every chance) so I still see it as a bit of a bet to nothing as I can't see three horses beating him. My enthusiasm has wained slightly since - given how impressive Simonsig and Overturn have been subsequently - as well as my selection's recent fall and increasing tendency to jump out to the right. I do feel he is a bit of a forgotten horse, though, and does have a chance in his own right. You may not be getting much of a return if you back him e/w at 8/1 now and he finishes 3rd but (famous last words) what else can beat him so long as he stands up? Unless Captain Conan takes a u-turn and takes his chance I think we're pretty much assured to get a return on Willie Mullins' runner. He's got plenty of speed but also the stamina required in a Cheltenham championship race. He tanked his way through the Albert Bartlett (3m) here a couple of years ago - looking a likely winner before his fuel ran out. Ruby Walsh being back on board is a positive (jumped better for Walsh than Townend) and his form is pretty solid. Although not beating a huge amount in Ireland, he's been impressive and had more in the tank than it looked (idled) when winning at Christmas. It will be interesting to see how the race pans out but so long as his jumping holds up he should be with them for a long way. He's not far off on ratings and he looks the ante-post bet to me with Simonsig looking the likely winner in my eyes. Certainly more of a race to watch and not one I have a strong view or angle into but will have to ride out with my bet. Not a race to go mad on at all but I wouldn't put anyone off backing Arvika e/w whilst the 3 places are still on offer. Bet already placed: 1pt e/w ARVIKA LIGEONNIERE @ 7/1 Advice: No bet or small e/w on ARVIKA LIGEONNIERE @ 8/1 (PP, Ladbrokes, Boyles)

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.