Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle

Re: Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle 3.20 Cheltenham Rock on Ruby 3pts win @ 5/1 Ladbrokes Harry Fry has proven he is top class since going solo and this is clearly his stable star and everything has been geared around this horse peaking for this race. He got the horse here in tiptop condition last year and I would fancy he comes into the race in the same form. It’s very tough to win this race in consecutive years but I fancy ROR to do it. It’s interesting they have put the blinkers on him but there is every chance this could bring about some improvement. He must have been showing something at home in the headgear for them to put it on for the first time for this race. It looks as though Countrywide Flame will make the running and I would expect him to try and make it a test for the others which will suit Rock on Ruby given he stays further than this. He clearly loves the track having won here a few times and is unlucky not to have been twice a winner at the festival after getting beat right on the line in 2011 by First Lieutenant. The big stat that puts me off Hurricane Fly is not many horses regain the champion hurdle with it last happening back in 1975. What is a more common occurrence is horses winning the race in consecutive years which hopefully ROR will do tomorrow!

Re: Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle 3.20 Cheltenham: Zarkandar, 7/2 Stan James, win Zarkandar is unbeaten this season. He put in a great effort to win the grade 2 Elite Handicap Hurdle off top weight fto when he beat Prospect Wells by a neck. PW has since won the grade 2 Spirit Hurdle. He then won the International Hurdle over 17f at this track. He finished 2L ahead of the re-opposing Grandeout and a further 6L ahead of Rock On Ruby. He won the grade 2 Kingwell Hurdle lto when he beat the re-opposing Khyber Kim and Balder Success and he should confirm that form today. The ground today will suit and he has won over c&d at the Festival before. There isn't much between the top three in the betting but I think Zarkandar is the one to be on.

Re: Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle Too many people trying too hard to find a way to get Hurricane Fly beat imo. Only time he's been beat was in this last year when he was never right all season. Needs plenty of racing, has had it, unconcerned regarding the ground or tactics employed by any other horse in the race. There's a hurricane coming, and it's not going to be stopped!!!

Re: Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle

Grandouet was going very well. Difficult to say from a fairly long way out but fair to say I'm gutted about that. Festival's been a shocker so far.
Grandouet pulled hard but looked dangerous when falling pity as i think Henderson may have had him really fit for this would have been in 1st 3 IMO

Grandouet was going very well. Difficult to say from a fairly long way out but fair to say I'm gutted about that. Festival's been a shocker so far.
The worst of it is, we still don't really know what Grandouet can do off the bridle - would have had to battle for sure but who's to say he wouldn't have? Might well be a good bet for next year cos we have to be due some good weather one year soon!!!!

The worst of it is' date=' we still don't really know what Grandouet can do off the bridle - would have had to battle for sure but who's to say he wouldn't have? Might well be a good bet for next year cos we have to be due some good weather one year soon!!!![/quote'] Been a pretty unlucky horse on the whole. I really rate him. Still got time on his side but needs to make the most of when he's on the big stage given his fragility.

Been a pretty unlucky horse on the whole. I really rate him. Still got time on his side but needs to make the most of when he's on the big stage given his fragility.
If he's not hurt and NH let's him go up against Oscar Whiskey, I would think the Aintree Hurdle could be perfect given decent ground....

Re: Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle I haven't watched the race back again yet but I thought Fehily gave Rock on Ruby a cracking ride. Fair play to both him and CF for finishing placed but look what happened to Zarkandar trying to live with them. Grandouet was still full of running when coming down but Ruby rode the smart race sitting off the pace.