Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle

Re: Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle Conversation in the office today: Me to another bloke who follows racing: "Did you hear Darlan died yesterday?" Bloke: "Yeah, real shame that" Random girl interrupts: "What?? Darlan died?? Thats terrible, how?" Me (now slightly confused at this girl's interest): Erm... he fell and broke his neck i think..." Girl: Thats awful, it was only 2 weeks ago I was watching him win Celebrity Big Brother"

Re: Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle THE STAN JAMES CHAMPION HURDLE Class 1, Grade 1, £400,000 total prize fund. Cheltenham, 3.20pm, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, two miles and half a furlong. For four-year-olds and upwards which are allotted a rating of 130 or more by the senior BHA Head of Handicapping following a review of the horses entered and taking account of races run up to and including March 5 - horses which are not qualified for a rating in GB, IRE or FR may also be entered (such horses may be eligible providing the Handicapper is satisfied that the horse’s racecourse performances up to and including March 5 would merit a minimum rating of 130 - the decision of the BHA Head of Handicapping shall be final). Weights: 4yo: 11st 2lb; 5yo+: 11st 10lb; fillies & mares allowed 7lb. Entries closed January 15, entries revealed January 16 (34 entries). Scratchings deadline February 12 (22 remain), £20,000 supplementary stage & six-day confirmation stage March 6, final declaration 10.00am, March 10. Form figures supplied by Weatherbys and are correct up to and including the racing of Monday, February 11. Form Horse Age Owner Trainer 1FU-3100 BALDER SUCCES (FR) 5 Masterson Holdings Limited Alan King 4/32114-3 BINOCULAR (FR) 9 J P McManus Nicky Henderson 2613110 CAUSE OF CAUSES (USA) 5 Timeform Betfair Racing Club Ltd Gordon Elliott IRE 1111-25 CINDERS AND ASHES 6 Dermot Hanafin & Phil Cunningham Donald McCain 111U3-2 COTTON MILL 6 Bloomfields John Ferguson 2312-142 COUNTRYWIDE FLAME 5 Estio Pinnacle Racing John Quinn FLYING CROSS (IRE) 6 Robin Geffen David Pipe B/1F11-2 GRANDOUET (FR) 6 Simon Munir Nicky Henderson 1F1131- GRUMETI 5 McNeill Family Alan King 1131-111 HURRICANE FLY (IRE) 9 George Creighton & Mrs Rose Boyd Willie Mullins IRE 121/406/ KHYBER KIM 11 Caroline Mould Nicky Henderson 1(1)51-112 OSCAR WHISKY (IRE) 8 Walters Plant Hire Ltd Nicky Henderson 1232-111 OVERTURN (IRE) 9 Tim Leslie Donald McCain 20/1120-2 PEDDLERS CROSS (IRE) 8 Tim Leslie Donald McCain 03 RANSOM NOTE 6 Raymond Mould Nigel Twiston-Davies 301-122 RAYA STAR (IRE) 7 Simon Munir Alan King 24-1112 REBEL FITZ (FR) 8 Brian Sweetnam Michael Winters IRE 3/1213-31 ROCK ON RUBY (IRE) 8 The Festival Goers Harry Fry 011105- STEPS TO FREEDOM (IRE) 7 Mrs Sean Hussey Jessica Harrington IRE 23-11432 THOUSAND STARS (FR) 9 Hammer & Trowel Syndicate Willie Mullins IRE 02-25122 ZAIDPOUR (FR) 7 Susannah Ricci Willie Mullins IRE 1/15F-11 ZARKANDAR (IRE) 6 Chris Giles & Potensis Limited Paul Nicholls 22 entries remain after February 12 scratchings deadline 6 Irish-trained THE FOLLOWING 12 HORSES HAVE BEEN SCRATCHED: CASH AND GO (IRE), CLARET CLOAK (IRE), DARLAN, GENERAL MILLER, HISAABAAT (IRE), KING OF QUEENS (IRE), MIDNIGHT GAME, PEARL SWAN (FR), PUNJABI, SADLER'S RISK (IRE), TANGO DE JUILLEY (FR), TRIFOLIUM (FR)

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle On bare form Hurricane Fly is the best horse in the race but he was turned over at 4/6 in this race last year behind a couple of unfancied runners on the day. If I were to oppose him I'd maybe look for a bit of value in the likes of Coutrywide Flame who came storming up the hill to take the triumph last time here and would benefit from a likely strong pace. One negative may be hes on the young side but I'd have a small punt at 16s or bigger.

Re: Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle I was impressed by Hurricane Fly last time out and he is definitely the one to beat this year again, but Coutrywide Flame did run a creditable second to Rock On Ruby after landing a bit flat at the last and then running on again. Definitely my choice for the forecast

Re: Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle I still have a sneaky feeling we will see a very different Cinders and Ashes on good ground and 14's is a good each way bet. Donald McCain has been suggesting the same and I wouldn't be writing it off just yet. Rock On Ruby was value at 12's and 14's but it's about half those prices now. I love Hurricane Fly but missed the boat on that one a long time ago. I'd lay Grandouet all day long, not good enough in my opinion.

Re: Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle

I still have a sneaky feeling we will see a very different Cinders and Ashes on good ground and 14's is a good each way bet. Donald McCain has been suggesting the same and I wouldn't be writing it off just yet. Rock On Ruby was value at 12's and 14's but it's about half those prices now. I love Hurricane Fly but missed the boat on that one a long time ago. I'd lay Grandouet all day long' date=' not good enough in my opinion.[/quote'] I think Grandouet has a cracking each-way chance personally. He finished 6 lengths ahead of last years Champions Hurdle winner last time out, and beat Overturn by 4 lengths, so definitely has the ability, just my tuppence. Yes, I backed Grandouet :lol

I still have a sneaky feeling we will see a very different Cinders and Ashes on good ground and 14's is a good each way bet. Donald McCain has been suggesting the same and I wouldn't be writing it off just yet. Rock On Ruby was value at 12's and 14's but it's about half those prices now. I love Hurricane Fly but missed the boat on that one a long time ago. I'd lay Grandouet all day long' date=' not good enough in my opinion.[/quote'] I think your bang on the money and I feel Cinders and Ashes is the forgotten horse in the race. It's being crying out for the better ground and at 14/1 it's now the value each way bet in the race as I can see it being placed or maybe even nicking it from the Fly. I do like Grandeout but with no prep run and niggling problems leading up to the CH is not the ideal situation but what still nags in the back of my mind is the Binocular situation and it went on to hack up and win at 10/1.

Re: Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle It really is such a tough race. Bar the Fly I have backed and laid most of the fancies for a small profit but I will be looking for one on the day as well. Personally I wouldnt rule out Binocular EW. Both McCoy and Ruby were caught out playing cat and mouse last year and he wasnt that far off. He would have to be at his very best though and the ground would have to be good.

Re: Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle Champion Hurdle Stats: 24 of the last 29 winners won last time out 17 of the last 18 winners had a prep race prior to the Festival 7 of the last 12 winners finished in the first three in the race the previous year Only 1-88 horses age 5 have won the race The Champion Hurdle this year looks a vintage renewal. Three previous winners of the race feature in the shape of Hurricane Fly, Binocular and last year's victor Rock On Ruby. Two Triumph Hurdle winners (Zarkandar, Countrywide Flame) are also set to line up alongside last year's Supreme Novice hero Cinders and Ashes. Grandouet and Khyber Kim bring placed Festival form to the table with Cotton Mill likely to do so when unseating in the Neptune last year. Balder Succes is the outsider of the party but even he was sent off favourite for the Ladbroke hurdle at Ascot earlier this season so it really is a top-class field. That makes solving the puzzle a great deal harder but given the competitive nature of the race, I can't entertain a bet on Hurricane Fly at 7/4. He was said not to be right last year but I still don't think he's seen at his best at Cheltenham and his win in 2011 came in a heat weaker than this. 5 horses are rated 166 or higher in this (only Hurricane Fly achieved that two years ago). It's hard to believe he's in much better shape now at the age of 9 and I just feel he's too short. I've always liked Zarkandar from when he won the Betfair hurdle last year despite lots going wrong and he'll surely be staying on here which is an obvious plus at Cheltenham. However, I'm not sure his form this season is quite worth me parting with my money as 2nd favourite. He was in receipt of 4lbs from GRANDOUET when running out a 2l winner in December and that was also Nicky Henderson's runner's first run for twelve months (Zarkandar had recent run). The 6/1 on offer for the runner-up that day appeals to me despite him having to beat the stats to win next week. He missed his intended prep and didn't win his latest start but Rock on Ruby won with a similar profile last year so there is hope. Grandouet looks sure to be travelling powerfully at the business end and he's won over the c&d before. I think he's a better horse now than when 3rd in the Triumph Hurdle as a juvenile and at the prices looks the bet for me. I would have liked to see more from Cinders And Ashes this season despite running on unfavourable ground. The rain we've had and that is potentially going to fall is a negative and he does have plenty to find on ratings. The others I don't think are good enough on the whole other than Rock on Ruby who has a chance but I'm happier with Grandouet at a point bigger in the market. The heavy ground wouldn't have suited when beaten by my selection in December but I still think he'll face a much tougher field this year and I can't read too much into his recent win when Darlan fell when challenging and when Countrywide Flame (outclassed here in my eyes) wasn't too far behind in 2nd. Does go very well at Cheltenham, though, and rates as a threat, but if you said it was 4/5 the pair in a match bet with Grandouet I'd side with the Henderson runner so it's a no brainer for me at the prices. Advice: 1pt win GRANDOUET @ 6/1 (PP) - NRNB, also money back if Hurricane Fly wins.

Re: Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle [h=1][h=2]Grandouet remains on course for the Stan James Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham on Tuesday despite taking an alarming drift on the betting exchanges on Friday afternoon.[/h] Grandouet: Still on target for the Champion[/h] The six-year-old was forced out of the Grade One contest 12 months ago through injury, but made a pleasing return to action in the International Hurdle at Cheltenham in December. He has not been seen in competitive action since and did suffer a minor training setback around a month ago. Grandouet was a significant drifter in the Champion Hurdle market on Betfair, with his price briefly reaching 40-/ before stabilising, but Henderson did not report any problems after his charge worked in company with fellow Festival-bound stablemates this morning. Speaking at Sandown, Henderson said: "Grandouet worked on the grass in the fog with Une Artiste and River Maigue. They went a good gallop and it was all good. The ground was beautiful.

Although contradicting his Boss, apparently NHs right hand man has stated that Grandouet has had a shocking preparation!! If I was on ante-post nrnb, I don't think I'd want him to run now. :( New Approach and Kicking King have got to give cause for optimism though!

Re: Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle Have been backing Zarkandar since a couple of hours before he made his seasonal debut at Wincanton. I actually can't see him being beaten as I have thought he was a Champion Hurdle winner for some time now. Hurricane Fly is the one I am most worried about, but his price is way too short. Hard to fancy Rock On Ruby given his two runs this season and the ground looks to have gone against him. As for Grandouet it will be some effort to win this having only run once in the last 15 months and he was never going to beat Zarkandar last time and wouldn't have beaten him at level weights.

A smaller than normal field for the Champion Hurdle and Hurricane Fly will start a warm favourite in his bid to regain his title, he looks sure to go close but I fancy Zarkandar to outstay him up the Cheltenham hill on this occasion. Only a 6yo and still improving and has had a troubled free passage this year in the build up. The pace in the race will be interesting and Countrywide Flame and Rock On Ruby look the likely ones to try and make this a true test and not let the race turn into a two furlong sprint. The ground has gone against Grandouet and Cinders And Ashes and it wouldn’t surprise me to see the pacesetters still their at the last and hang on for a place. Selections: 2pts Zarkandar 7/2

Stan James 1pt EW Countrywide Flame 16/1 >Betfred

Full Preview; https://www.punterslounge.com/cheltenham-festival/

Re: Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle Just incase anyone isn't already aware Denis ORegan admitted yesterday in the official Cheltenham preview he will be attempting to make all on Countrywide Flame. I'm hoping Rock on Ruby will apply pressure to ensure a proper gallop and hopefully that'll set it up for Zarkandar!

Re: Tuesday 3:20: Champion Hurdle I think this slightly sharper track might just find out Zarkander at the business end. My vision of the race sees one of CWF or Zarkander attempting to make most of the running with ROR and the rest behind. One of ROR or Zarkander will have to make sure this is a test otherwise they wont win IMO. I cant be having HF at the prices and the ground has gone against C&A and Binocular. Therefore I am leaning back to Grandoeut albeit at smaller stakes because this betfair business is a bit suspect. If all is well with him, then I see him reversing the form with Zarkander on 4lb better terms and on marginally better ground. Im not sure what to make of ROR's chance on this ground.