Cheltenham Decisions - which race

Been spending today looking through the Cheltenham cards again for the festival Was trying to plot where horses may go as some are in the betting for more than 1 race Here are a couple for discussion, there will be more as the weeks develop Overturn 5/1 Arkle 56.0 Jewson The obvious choice is overturn will tackle the Arkle but with Simonsig being so impressive, owners may prefer the Jewson which is over 4f further but may be easier to win. I would prefer to see it in the Arkle to be honest but would it sidestep? Boston Bob 7/1 RSA 56.0 Jewson Another horse that could go for the Jewson over the main target. Has only raced once this season and struggled to get up on the line over 2m 4f. I wasnt impressed by it last season when i didnt think 3m suited it at the festival and its best form is at 2m 4f. The RSA is the better race obviously but i dont see it going for it? another race will be the Gold cup vs Ryanair, so i will be looking at some of those also

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cheltenham Decisions - which race I was keen on Captain Conan for the Arkle and would even back it against Simonsig (probably each way) but it probably makes no sense for Henderson to send two horses for that race when he can send one for the Jewson. Captain Conan went from 16's to about 7's but then got pushed out to about 10's and was made favourite for the Jewson. I'd expect Overturn to go the Arkle route as 2m round Cheltenham can feel like further and it ran a fine 2nd in last years Champion Hurdle so it gets up the hill. I am not sure what the difference is in prize money from the Arkle to the Jewson and whether the owners will make the decision or leave that up to the trainer. The Ryanair could turn out to be the race of the festival if they swerve Sprinter Sacre. There is the potential for Flemenstar V Sizing Europe v Riverside Theatre V Finian's Rainbow v Grands Crus and a few others. I would imagine we'll have a clearer idea in the next 2-3 weeks of where horses are heading and that's when to get any ante post money on. Racing UK have been showing last years festival all week but I only caught the last 2 days. Dynaste didn't get 3m over hurdles, faded up the hill but might be a different story over fences. Boston Bob might be a decent bet for the RSA. I'm interested in Cause of Causes because of how it finishes its races and it was finishing well at Cheltenham in horrible muddy boggy ground. Need to know which race it will go for before I get involved financially.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.