Have any Systems been continually successful?

Stribs

I never see a thread at the top of the list that has been there for a few years because it is continually bringing in profit. Is this because once they find a winning system they set up a website and charge $28 a week for their picks? It seems there are a lot of intelligent guys here and over all the attempts I would have thought one would have stuck that the whole site jumps on board and everyones living the good life.

Re: Have any Systems been continually successful?

I never see a thread at the top of the list that has been there for a few years because it is continually bringing in profit. Is this because once they find a winning system they set up a website and charge $28 a week for their picks? It seems there are a lot of intelligent guys here and over all the attempts I would have thought one would have stuck that the whole site jumps on board and everyones living the good life.
I haven't been around long enough to know if that's happened, but I'm guessing it wouldn't last long, because the bookies would quickly adjust their odds when they saw a lot of money coming in on one side or another.

Is this because once they find a winning system they set up a website and charge $28 a week for their picks?
In my opinion, very few members ceased to run their system(s) here for that reason. Apart from reason stated by MPLouis, I'd say it's either loss of discipline to post picks on time, before kick-off, and keep records (it requires more time than one could think), either lack of feedback from readers, which system's author may understand as lack of interest for his thread, so he loses motivation to post.

Re: Have any Systems been continually successful? My first thought was that surely my system will remain on top. But I hope not. You will see later why. Seriously I think your question is very good but I think the first question should be There may be a system to beat the bookmakers forever (or at least a few years)? The second question should be Can it be created by civilians (not by bookmakers)? I am almost sure that the answer to these first two questions is positive. I think the problem occurs when the system is public or implemented by too many people. Do not believe a serious bookmaker is against a player who consistently earn reasonable amount for both sides just for other players to see that it is possible to play and win respecting their strict rules. If come a time when all the players will consistently lose I think their business end will come also. On the other hand, if too many people earn money as MPLouis says bookmakers will fine tune the algorithms (odds, prices, etc) so soon their "invincible" will become unusable. So to give you an answer to your question, based on the above arguments I think we have 3 cases 1. The system is not good - will disappear after a while 2. If the system proves very good we have 2 sub cases: a, If a system is created by a truly intelligent person will use it only for himself and the system will suddenly disappear. b If the system is started by a guy with average intelligence will bring it up for sale and according to the above will become unusable after a while and will disappear So in any case the system will disappear. I believe this is the correct answer to your question.:D Just my opinion.:unsure

If there was a miracle system then it would have been found a long time ago. Most people bet as a hobby, some find an edge. Most of these enjoy it. Some of us post year after year, through good and bad times. Although, myself, had to stop for a while due to relationship issues. I sense you are looking for a get rich quick thing. Will never happen. And yet, right below this post is Grex's thread with an 11.8% yield, over 2 and a half years so far. If that's not good enough then yes, you are looking for something that you will never find.

.....And yet' date=' right below this post is Grex's thread with an 11.8% yield, over 2 and a half years so far.....[/quote'] Thanks for the mention, Fleet. Actually, the "Homes" thread is, in my opinion, the better performer with 340 bets giving 11.5% since September 2009. I totally agree with your comments regarding the "miracle system". It does not exist, and it never will (measured over a long period, and a significant number of bets). The best you can hope for is to come up with a system that gives you a reasonable chance of getting a slight edge on the bookies....... something that may (without any guarantee) give you a better interest rate on your savings compared with sticking them in a Building Society (do they still exist in the UK??.... it's a long time since I was there). Anyway, Stribs, good luck with your quest for the "Holy Grail" ;)

Re: Have any Systems been continually successful? I have been betting long enough to certainly not be looking for any get quick rich schemes. It just occurred to me that there was this section of the forum, and many different people had tried many different systems, wondering if there were any well known ones that had a proven ROI. Anyways, I love the analysis and effort that goes on in the section and wish all the best.

Wasn't there a total corners system (or something similar) where the guy stopped posting as as soon as he posted the bookies and markets reacted significantly.
If that was the case then surely it wouldn't effect him because he could put the bet on before he posted the tip.

If that was the case then surely it wouldn't effect him because he could put the bet on before he posted the tip.
But it might make posting tips pointless if punters couldn't back them at the published odds.

Re: Have any Systems been continually successful? Begin to see that the more experienced who post even less believe that it is possible to find a long-term winning system. Perhaps they are right, but then why there is this thread? Let young gamblers dream of systems. Let's think this system exists but has not yet been found. Don-t say it is not possible. In my opinion it is important to try out, calculate and find probabilities, find the value. These things will help a lot in gambling. Maybe one day they discover that does-t exist winning system forever while they discover they have a huge betting experience and huge another good skills. On the other hand I am sure that this system exists. As will be public only for a short time is another story. Let-s assume exists a bookmaker who afford to use a system that calculates probabilities closer to reality (the best algorithms used and has a more complete database) than another bookmaker. We can then say that the system is "miraculous" in terms of the second house? I do not think is a good argument that the winner will be limited to a serious house. The system will be used by a friend of a friend ... etc. They can not limit all users. Faster, they will adapt the algorithms to the new situation.

Found the thread, he would be placing bets right up to the last minute so couldn't advamce post anymore without scaring off his value: http://forum.punterslounge.com/threads/80745-Holy-Grail-Total-Corners-End-of-days-(/page45?highlight=corners post 1795

• 7 months later...

Wasn't there a total corners system (or something similar) where the guy stopped posting as as soon as he posted the bookies and markets reacted significantly.
Yes that was my system. A quick update: after leaving the Lounge, another 700 bets on top of those proofed here and 8% yield on those. All good and I believe that it is a winner.