** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

CPO's class 3+ racing thread

cpo

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CPO's class 2+ racing thread A profitable day which could have been so much better if lady luck had been on our side. I thought I was going to get off to a winning start with El Estruendoso when he kicked clear but Elleval finished with a real rattle to nab him close home. Music Chart didn't get the best of trips and found herself too far back off a steady pace. She also had to come very wide off the final bend, which won't have helped. She wasn't beaten too far into third and may have got closer with a more positive ride but to be fair she had plenty of time to pick up her stablemates and didn't really look like getting to them. Certerach was another unlucky horse as he finished off his race very well and was beaten less than half a length into 3rd in what was a thrilling finish. Hunter's Light justified my biggest bet of the day as he won the group 2 very cosily in the end. The horse just keeps on improving and there is every chance he could line up in the big one in a few weeks time. Ariete Arrollador finished a close up 5th but looked very dangerous at one point as he got to within half a length of the eventual winner on the inside. He couldn't sustain his run however and weakened towards the line to finish out of the places. A small profit on the day considering the amount of points staked but nice to actually have a winning day! 26.75

Re: CPO's class 2+ racing thread 1.50 Newbury Captain Sunshine 1.5pts EW @ 9/1 Bet365 This horse was massively eye-catching in the Lanzarote at Kempton. He stayed on from an absolute mile back and looked like he could play a part in the finish as he was closing on the leaders coming to the last. He took a nasty fall but if none the worse for that, then he could have a big part to play in this race. The step up in trip will suit him considering the way he ran last time out and his regular rider Dominic Elsworth is back on board tomorrow. Ground won’t be a problem but the trainer’s form is a slight worry.

Re: CPO's class 2+ racing thread 3.35 Newbury Lyvius 1pt EW @ 33/1 Bet365 This horse was so impressive when comfortably winning over CD 2 runs ago, that I am going to forgive his latest run where he surely can't have given his true running. When he won that listed race over CD he travelled much the best in that race and won cosily by 3 lengths. He did get tired near the finish but that was his first run for a few months so he was entitled to need that run. He was then massively disappointing in the Ladbroke won by Cause of Causes but weakened out of contention like a horse with something wrong with him. The heavy ground may have also played a part in that run but with conditions a little better tomorrow, I think we might see a different horse. He is only a 5 year and is still open to plenty of improvement. Connections feel he has strengthened up considerably from last year and he gets in here carrying 10-0. Andrew Tinkler takes the ride and I am hopeful of a good from Lyvius. He is rated 133 for this but I think there is room to maneouvre off that mark considering his win here 2 runs ago. Ground tomorrow will suit whereas it won't with plenty of his rivals. Nicky Henderson has to be feared with every runner he has in the race and maybe Lyvius can cause an upset.

Re: CPO's class 2+ racing thread 3.00 Newbury French Opera 2pts win @ 7/2 Ladbrokes This horse is a class act on his day and is a CD winner. He wouldn't want it too testing but he is a previous winner of the race and comes from the powerful Nicky Henderson yard. Sorry for the rubbish write up but I am late for work!

Re: CPO's class 2+ racing thread 2.15 Leopardstown Champagne Fever 9/4 + 3.50 Warwick Keppols Hill 11/8 3pt win double Ladbrokes Champagne Fever needs to bounce back and prove he is over his problems from his last race but he could be top class and I reckon he will win today. He is a pretty tasty price. Keppols Hill is a horse I like and I have already backed him at 16/1 for next years welsh national. Fell early on last time out so comes here fresh. He looks an out n out stayer.

Re: CPO's class 2+ racing thread Do really fancy Champagne Fever myself today. Last performance wasn't the real Champagne Fever and the form to Jezki in the penultimate race was still top class. Fancied Keppols Hill last week as well, so following you here on this double. Good luck for the day anyway. :ok

Re: CPO's class 2+ racing thread

Too bad with Keppols Hill' date=' looks a very tricky ride unfortunately. I think it was only down to the horse's mind today... but that's racing I suppose.[/quote'] Ho doesn't do things very quickly does he. Reminds a bit of Master Overseer... I would expect him to be contesting some of the Nationals next year.

Re: CPO's class 2+ racing thread 3.00 Exeter 2pts win Bensalem @ 8/1 BetVictor Going to take a great training performance to get this one back to his best after 673 days off the track but Alan King is more than capable. Bensalem is a class animal on his day as he showed when winning a grade 3 event at Cheltenham a couple of runs ago. Obviously a long absence is a worry but he returns in a race that the trainer has taken in 2011 and 2008 and he must have every chance on these terms, if returning fully fit. The ground won't be a problem as he has raced well on heavy ground in the past. Alan King's horses aren't exactly flying at the moment but they are in decent enough nick and he has a good record at the track.

Ho doesn't do things very quickly does he. Reminds a bit of Master Overseer... I would expect him to be contesting some of the Nationals next year.
I didn't notice till afterwards but they left the cheekpieces off yesterday, I expect them back on for his next run which I'm hoping is the National Hunt chase over 4m's at the festival. If he ran well there I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Scottish National. Rio.

I didn't notice till afterwards but they left the cheekpieces off yesterday, I expect them back on for his next run which I'm hoping is the National Hunt chase over 4m's at the festival. If he ran well there I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Scottish National. Rio.
Cheers Rio, he certainly ran a strange race without them on. He looked well beaten once he came under pressure but kept grinding it out. He jumped better yesterday as well but thats still something I would worry about with him... especially in a big field such as the 4miler at Cheltenham.

World Hurdle - Tidal Bay 1pt EW 14/1 >Bet365 - 3 places 1/4 odds Risky bet as he may not even go for this but if he does then he will be much shorter come race day. Big Bucks and Quevega not running leaves the door wide open and Tidal Bay looks a pretty good option to me. I fancy Paul Nicholls will want to win this race having won this race the previous 4 years with Big Bucks. Tidal Bay looks the most likely entrant for Nicholls as Zarkandar will surely go for the Champion Hurdle after his win last time out. Tidal Bay at 14’s is a risk worth taking as there isn’t much in current betting that I would fear. He proved last time out there that is still plenty of ability in the old boy, finishing a brilliant 3rd behind Bob’s Worth under top weight. He is loves it around Cheltenham and I would fancy him to go close if he does indeed go for the race.
Rather pleased as this looks the likely target now. Nicholls has said in his Betfair blog that World Hurdle is the most likely target now after watching Conti win yesterday.

Re: CPO's class 2+ racing thread Supreme Novices - Pique Sous 1pt EW @ 20/1 Bet365 1/4 odds 3 places Backing this horse for this race has been the plan for a while now, no matter what other horses have done. Yes the likes of Jezki and My Tent or Yours have been so impressive so far in what they have achieved but I just have a gut feeling with Pique Sous. He looked the likely winner of last years Champion Bumper turning for home as he was travelling best just in behind the eventual winner but was just outstayed by both Champagne Fever and New Years Eve. He clearly has plenty of speed and should have strengthened up over the last year. He hasn't had the typical preparation of a winner of the Supreme but connections haven't had the chance to get more experience into him due to the weather. He will come into the race on the back of a maiden hurdle win and a win on the all weather at Dundalk but that doesn't phase me. Willie Mullins managed to train Ebaziyan to win the race at 40/1 on the back of a win in a maiden hurdle. I have no doubts Pique Sous could be top class. Last years Champion Bumper was top class if you think of what the race has thrown up. Both The New One and Jezki finished 6th and 8th respectively and look what they have achieved already. It is possible connections will try and get another run into him but I think he will go straight for the Supreme now. He has already shown a liking for Cheltenham which is a plus and I feel he goes there with a good chance if he gets his ground. He is French bred which is also a positive as they tend to do well at Cheltenham. Will be interesting to see who Ruby Walsh rides in the race but I feel he may choose to ride this one... or thats what I hope!

Re: CPO's class 2+ racing thread County Hurdle - Edeymi 1pt EW @ 25/1 Bet365 1/4 Odds 4 Places I feel this horse is being plotted for this race and is worth backing at an early stage. He ran a cracker in last years Fred Winter to finish a good 2nd behind Une Artiste who was getting over a stone from Edeymi if you take into account the winning jockeys claim. Since that run, Edeymi has been tried in very good company and has finished well beaten on most occasions. It's only in his last 2 runs that he has been given realistic targets. He won well enough on the all weather at Dundalk on his first run of the new year and he ran well yesterday on his handicap debut. He finished 6th yesterday under the handling of a 7lb claimer but I got the impression there was plenty more to give and he came from a long way back to grab 6th. As a result of him finishing well beaten on most starts this year, he will go into this race on a 3lb lower mark than when finishing 2nd at the festival last year. The Irish have a good recent record in this race taking 5 of the last 6 runnings. This horse will represent the Gigginstown House Stud and he just adds another good chance to their already impressive portfolio for the festival.

Rather pleased as this looks the likely target now.
And rightly so. Looks a cracking bet and definitely the right race for Tidal Bay! His jumping would let down in the Gold Cup I think but the World Hurdle should be that sort of challenge he loves.

And rightly so. Looks a cracking bet and definitely the right race for Tidal Bay! His jumping would let down in the Gold Cup I think but the World Hurdle should be that sort of challenge he loves.
I am pretty confident of a place at the very least. All I need now is Quevega to be completely ruled out of the race and Oscar Whisky to go for the Champion Hurdle!

County Hurdle - Edeymi 1pt EW @ 25/1 Bet365 1/4 Odds 4 Places I feel this horse is being plotted for this race and is worth backing at an early stage. He ran a cracker in last years Fred Winter to finish a good 2nd behind Une Artiste who was getting over a stone from Edeymi if you take into account the winning jockeys claim. Since that run, Edeymi has been tried in very good company and has finished well beaten on most occasions. It's only in his last 2 runs that he has been given realistic targets. He won well enough on the all weather at Dundalk on his first run of the new year and he ran well yesterday on his handicap debut. He finished 6th yesterday under the handling of a 7lb claimer but I got the impression there was plenty more to give and he came from a long way back to grab 6th. As a result of him finishing well beaten on most starts this year, he will go into this race on a 3lb lower mark than when finishing 2nd at the festival last year. The Irish have a good recent record in this race taking 5 of the last 6 runnings. This horse will represent the Gigginstown House Stud and he just adds another good chance to their already impressive portfolio for the festival.
Well cats out the bag http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=1037376 Hopefully I have got the right race!

Re: CPO's class 2+ racing thread Ryanair Chase - China Rock 1pt EW @ 20/1 Boylesports 1/4 Odds 3 places Taking a chance with an outsider for this one. I did think Flemenstar would be extremely tough to beat but it looks as though he isn't going to make the race which opens it right up. I think China Rock is a huge price at 20/1 considering how well he ran in the Lexus. He was returning from a lengthy absence in the race but was travelling better than anything apart from Flemenstar coming to the 3rd last. He took it up at the 3rd last but then the big guns swamped him and he tired quite badly and was beaten 33 lengths in the end. That run will have brought him along nicely and the better ground come festival time will suit him better. He doesn't win that often but is a regular in top graded races and at times has shown glimpses of being just short of being a top class animal. This year will be his 5th visit to the festival. He is yet to win but has finished 4th on 2 occasions and finished well beaten on 2 attempts at the Gold Cup. His better efforts have both come at the Ryanair distance so I feel the drop back in trip will definitely suit. He is a very good traveller and he should give us a good run for our money. Even in last years Gold Cup he tanked along in about 3rd place up until the 4th last when his stamina gave way. I think the Ryanair will be perfect for him as he is a great jumper and likes to race up with the pace. I certainly don't think 20/1 will be available come race time, if he does in fact line up in the race!

Re: CPO's class 3+ racing thread 3.40 Musselburgh Roman Flight 2pts win @ 4/1 Bet365 Hoping racing will go ahead tomorrow as I quite fancy this one to run well. He does want good ground however so the forecast weather conditions tomorrow aren't exactly ideal but the ground is good to firm in places and I don't think there will be enough rain about to turn that ground soft. Could be wrong but I will take my chances. This will be the horses 2nd run over hurdles for his new trainer David O'Meara since switching from Ireland. We all know by now how much David O'Meara can improve horses and I wouldn't expect him to do the same with this one. His debut for the yard at Doncaster was a good one on ground softer than ideal. He stayed on well from the back of the field to grab 2nd but that was an encouraging effort. He recently had a spin on the all weather where he finished a close up 3rd but that should have put him spot on for this. The trainer also has the favourite for the race in Ifanbutwhynot but he stopped pretty quickly last time out off his new mark of 130. That was a listed race though, so there is every chance he can resume his progression now in easier company. Cry of Freedom has to be respected coming form the John Ferguson yard and I would expect Ultimate to go well a long way into the race but I am happy to side with Roman Flight. He has the champ on board which is an obvious positive and he looks open to improvement. Providing the ground doesn't get too soft, I would be hopeful of a good run.

Re: CPO's class 3+ racing thread 5.05 Meydan Whaileyy 1pt EW @ 16/1 PaddyPower This could turn out to be pretty simple. If Krypton Factor is anywhere near fully fit then he probably wins this race. The interesting one is the group 1 winner form Australia Mental who is having his first start for Godolphin. Plenty of their horses have needed the run so far at the carnival so I would swerve him tomorrow. Hitchens is a horse I like as he did me a favour at the carnival last year and he is trained by David Barron. Tamaathul is in the form of his life and was very impressive last time out on his first career start over 6f. He handles the artificial surface just as well as the turf so he must have every chance, with this race looking like it will be run to suit him. Balmont Mast is a horse I thought could be one to follow on the tapeta surface this year. He finished well last time out to grab 2nd but that was a weaker contest than this one and he find one of two too good again. The horse I have sided with is the Marco Botti trained Whaileyy who unseated at the start on his first run at Meydan. Previous to that run he had looked the type to continue improving on an artificial surface. He won well at Kempton over 6f back in November off a mark of 97 before looking unlucky not to get up at Lingfield off a mark of 102. I don't think a mark of 105 is beyond him and there looks as though there could be more to come from him. This is by far his toughest task to date but he goes well on an artificial surface and he is only a 5 year old so there should be more to come from him. He has a decent enough draw in 8 as the jockey should be able to get a good sit in behind the pace. He is pretty versatile as to how he is ridden but with a likely strong pace here, I would expect him to be held up and come with a late run like he did at Lingfield. James Doyle gets his first ride on the horse, but he does well at the track so having him on board is a positive.

Re: CPO's class 3+ racing thread 5.40 Meydan Fattsota 3pts win @ 7/1 Bet365 Anatolian is short enough here and is worth taking on. I don't think Fattsota has stop improving even though he was well beaten on his last start. That run did come on heavy ground, of which he had no form on so I am willing to forgive that run. Before that run he looked a horse very much on the improve, especially when winning very comfortably at Ascot off 99 beating a competitive field. This is tougher again but he can continue on the upgrade and go close in this. Botti does well with his horses here and he is worth a go in this. Would be much safer as an each way bet but I will take my chances!

Re: CPO's class 3+ racing thread 2.55 Haydock Viking Blond 1pt EW @ 16/1 Bet365 Viking Blond hasn’t won since 2011 but he has returned to action this season in good form if you take his run in the Welsh National out. He finished a good 2nd on his reappearance at Cheltenham before finishing 3rd to Monbeg Dude at the same track over this trip. He then ran very poorly at Chepstow but followed that with a solid 2nd at Sandown last time out. His run at Sandown was arguably better than his 8 length defeat would suggest as he went off far too quickly with Mister Hyde and while that one dropped away quite quickly, Viking Blond kept on galloping to just get 2nd. His 3rd at Cheltenham to Monbeg Dude is his best recent bit of form as he was rated 11lb higher in that race and finished under 3 lengths behind the winner. For this race tomorrow Monbeg Dude is rated 6lbs higher than my selection so there is a 17lb swing in the weights. Add to that the fact Adam Wedge takes off another 3lbs, which means there is a pretty hefty swing in the weights. NTD doesn’t exactly have the greatest of records at the track and his runners are a bit in and out at the moment but I fancy Viking Blond to run a solid race tomorrow. Trip and ground are fine and he is far too tempting off 132 in a race where conditions will suit. Some of his rivals do come into the race in excellent form but I believe Viking Blond is in good heart and can make hi presence felt. 2.40 Ascot The Rainbow Hunter 1.5pts EW @ 9/1 Ladbrokes This horse won over CD 2 outings ago off a 5lb lower mark. The form of that race has been franked by the 2nd and 3rd who have both won comfortably since. Not every horse goes at Chepstow so I would be willing to forgive his most recent effort there on heavy ground. He is a 9 year old now but there could be more to come from him. Kim Bailey is in fine form at the moment and has a good record here. Jason Maguire has been in good form all season and he too has a solid record at this track. I think at 9/1 he is pretty solid as there are plenty of question marks regarding his opposition tomorrow.

Re: CPO's class 3+ racing thread 3.15 Ascot Bourne 1.5pts EW @ 12/1 Ladbrokes Bourne won this race last year off 125 so he seemingly has all to do this time around off 140 but he comes into the race in good form. He won a couple of outings ago at Kempton on heavy ground off a mark of 132. He needed the full 2miles to get on top that day and again ran as if a return to this trip would suit when finishing 4th at Cheltenham behind the progressive Mr Watson. He races off the same mark in this race and I think he could at the very least run into the places. McCain and Maguire continue in good form and the return to this trip is a big positive. Bourne is consistent and will have no problems with the ground. He carry’s plenty of weight in the race tomorrow but I fancy him to run well. The other one I considered in this race is Whitby Jack who won with plenty in hand at Kempton. He has been raised 7lbs for that win but could go in again.