The Most Stupid thing you have ever heard in a betting context....?

The Saint

Whilst I think we should certainly refrain from quoting each other, what are the most stupid sayings, theories, things overheard etc in a betting environment, whether it be from a commentator, a betting shop punter or some old wives tale... I'll kick off with a couple... 'I was going to back that one, but I thought the price was too big' !!!!! WTF!? It does happen - you do all the work, you expect your horse to be vying for favouritism and it's 16/1... Mug Punter leaves it - horse hacks up... 'I'm backing Trap 4. I always back a dog if it's just taken a dump before the race. It's lighter then you see and can run faster....' Heard on more than one occassion during my time in a Betting Office and despite my smirking, I can't actually disprove this!! Probably a bias towards remembering when this 'system' did actually work... Obviously random - you can't watch every dog in every race - and virtual dogs don't poo which is probably common place in the Shops now!! Actually.... If I had to run around a track, I suspect I could do it quicker if I didn't need to visit the toilet!!

Re: The Most Stupid thing you have ever heard in a betting context....? I've definitely done the first one on occasions. Think there was a thread or at least comments on that sort of thing not long ago. I do think there's something in it though. Not if there was a relatively small gap but if you were expecting 4/1 and it was 16s, I'd be wondering what I've missed and what not. It sounds odd but I'd sooner back it at 8s but might leave it at 16s! I thoroughly expect to be labelled a mug for it happening sometimes but they very rarely run like favourites! Obviously depends on the market move though. EDIT: Usually this is when said runner is in a poor race and looks to have a really fair chance. I'd much sooner back a big priced horse I was very keen on in a competitive race 'cos I can understand why the price is a bit bigger than expected. Oh and the level as well. I'd find it hard to back a horse much larger than the price I think it should be in a class 6 at Wolverhampton, for example, because the market's often correct in such races I think.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.