A little help understanding racing terms

I'm relatively new to horse racing, or trying to look into a race before I bet should I say. There's a couple of things I need help understanding if that's possible. Mostly weight-related. I understand that the figures after a horse on a card are weights in stones and pounds eg. Bornean in the 2.10 Brighton is 9-3 but what if theres 3 digits? is the 3rd the handicap weights? What does 6ex mean next to a trainer? And lastly, if the form has certain numbers in bold, does this mean the race was in the same group or what? Thanks for any help guys.

Re: A little help understanding racing terms The weight can have 3 digits.........eg 9-13 would be 9 stones 13 pounds 6ex would appear by the horse's name and means the horse is carrying an additional 6 lbs 'penalty' for have won a race too recently to have been re-assessed by the handicapper A form figure in bold means that that race was on the all weather tracks

Re: A little help understanding racing terms

Thanks. What I meant by the 3 numbers tho was that, for example Aye Aye Digby in the 3.40 is 7-9-9 in the weights
Aye Aye Digby is 9-9 in the weights today. Must be a print error or something.

Re: A little help understanding racing terms The 7 is his age..............he's 7 years old carrying 9-9 the '77' is his official rating the '29' just under his name is the days since he last ran I assume you're still looking at the Racing Post ?............if so the '33' by the btrainers name is the racing post's own trainnerform rating showing that 33% of his recent runners are running up to around their form level The TS and RPR figues near the end of the column are racing post speed and form ratings ther figures that appear in that same race but not on Aye Aye Digby.......... top horse Avonmore Star..the jockey has a '7' after his name - that denotes that he's a young jockey and hasn't ridden a certain number of winners and is allowed to carry 7lb less than the allotted weight. So the horse has been assessed to carry 9-12 but with this jockey riding he will actually carry 9-5 Peter island has '6ex' after his name - he's carrying a 6lb penalty for having won yesterday, ie before the handicapper has had chance to reassess him (actually he's a non runner) Billion Dollar Kid has 288 (241J) in the days since last run column- that means 288 ndays since running in a flat race and 241 days since running in a Jumps race - they only print this if the run under the other code to today was since the last run under this code What else.............. A little b1 after Dasho's name.............he#]s wearing blinkers and it's the 1st time he's worn them I think that's all the numbers on the racecard !

Thanks a lot guys :notworthy
No problem Scott. Also, over the jumps, when the form is in bold, it means that run was in a point to point race! Welcome, hang around and get involved in the action.

Re: A little help understanding racing terms Might also be handy to purchase a 'horse racing for beginners' type book. Available to buy in all good bookshops and you should be able to pick one up for around a tenner - less if you look on ebay. There are so many questions to ask that it's useful to have as a reference tool.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: A little help understanding racing terms Another quick related question. Say there is a horse carrying 9-6 but the jockey is an apprentice and claiming 5 pound. Would the 9-6 on the card be the figure without the weight allowance or is this including the allowance?

Another quick related question. Say there is a horse carrying 9-6 but the jockey is an apprentice and claiming 5 pound. Would the 9-6 on the card be the figure without the weight allowance or is this including the allowance?
The 9-6 would be the alloted weight before any jockey claims So in your case the actual weight carried would be 9-1.

Another quick related question. Say there is a horse carrying 9-6 but the jockey is an apprentice and claiming 5 pound. Would the 9-6 on the card be the figure without the weight allowance or is this including the allowance?
9-6 would be the weight the horse was due to carry. If the jockey can claim 5lbs then the horse will carry 9-1 but it will still say 9-1 on the card. Trick is to spot a decent claimer before the media spot him/her first! Personally, I certainly wouldn't just add 5 or 7lbs to the horses chance - they are allowed to claim the weight for a reason!! I'd try and grab a watch of the claimer in question and see what you think about their riding style or if they are in time with the horses action... Can they add any assistance/power from behind the saddle or are they there being taken for a ride and hanging on for dear life!?