Irish Derby weekend at the Curragh in pictures...

As a season ticket holder for the Curragh I've been spending the whole weekend at the racetrack. Enjoyed it very much as always, though I found everything a bit "too much" yesterday on Derby Day. Yet it was great to see a big attendance for Ireland's most important raceday. Hats off for Aiden O'Brien in running Camelot in the Derby despite the awful ground. If would have been a massive blow for the Derby if Camelot would have been withdrawn yet I would have understood it. But he ran and he won well eventually I think. He hated the ground apparently and had a bit more to do than his 1/6 price suggested before the race but I thought he did it well enough in the end. Born To Sea ran a massive race, chasing Camelot all the way home. I was concerned if he would stay the distance but he did indeed and should have a big race in him. Today the Pretty Polly Stakes day, more like a normal raceday. Unfortunately very windy and wet but still a great day actually, enjoyed it more than yesterday. Just the normal racegoers were there and I thought the races were more interesting. The first race of the day was a pretty strong maiden I feel and should be a strong form in the future. The winner looked smart. Famous Name justified short odds in the International Stakes to win this race back-to-back but Native Khan is one to keep an eye on. He looked hugely impressive in the parade ring but hated the ground apparently. A bit sad that the highlight of the day, the Pretty Polly Stakes,attracted only four horses eventually, thanks to the awful ground. Would have been so interesting to see Was and Maybe in the race. Izzi Top won in fine style in the end. Lovely filly, that's for sure. John Gosden looked very happy after the race anyway. Most emotional race and performance came, however, with the last race of the whole festival. Cheltenham winner Captain Cee Bee gave his Handicap debut as an 11 year old and romped home to a 7 lengths win! There were many happy faces after the race at the racetrack, and not only because everyone backed him at generous 6/1 odds. It was just the great end of a big racing weekend (actually a 3 day festival). Have made a few pictures, however not the best quality as I didn't have a good camera with me. bild5185.jpg Bold Thady Quill (left) - winner of the Dubai Duty Free Finest Surprise Handicap bild5187.jpgbild5207.jpg Born To Sea bild5173.jpgbild5188h.jpgbild5201.jpg Parade ring packed before the Derby bild5203.jpgbild5212.jpg Camelot bild5217.jpg Camelot bild5226.jpgbild5260.jpg Hartani wins the Curragh Cup bild5230.jpg Famous Name bild5232.jpg O'Brien clan bild5245.jpg Izzi Top bild5249.jpg Izzi Top bild5255.jpg William Buick in interview with At The Races bild5270.jpg Captain Cee Bee bild5275.jpg Captain Cee Bee

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.