** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Bookmakers limits - an idea and your thoughts

Racecourse bookies display how much (as a minimum) they are willing to lay any horse to lose to any punter. From experience it tends to be £500 or £1,000. Well, I'm wondering if we could start up a 'Punters Lounge' campaign to get the on-line bookies to adopt the same commitment. The most frustrating aspect of betting these days is not the fact that your bet may get 'knocked back' to pennies but that the price is often retained for hours afterwards. In times gone past I'd get knocked back plenty of times and quite often took the rest of the bet at a lower price that I still considered value. The main difference is that the price would be shortened meaning it wasn't just a direct reluctance to take my bet, but a reluctance to take on more liability at the advertised price. Fair enough. I think they should state for each race the minimum they are willing to lay any horse to lose and update this amount as the market develops. That way they can start low to begin with and get braver as the market settles and their liabilities are better known. It doesn't stop them taking a bigger bet but it does stop them wasting customers time trying to get a bet on when they are only interested in laying a bet to lose £10 to anyone who has a slight chance of winning some money over the long term. The reason I'm suggesting this is that I recently tried to get a tenner on my account for a mate who hasn't got an account (we were miles from a bookies) and the first bookie I chose limited his bet on this animal to win less than £20. Not only pathetic but what image did this give to a potential new customer of theirs! Thoughts?

Re: Bookmakers limits - an idea and your thoughts If I understand you right, you kind of want a Betfair type scenario, where they will list the total amount available at each price, alongside the price? I think it is a great idea and would make things more transparent, but I'd be surprised if the bookies went for it. It would expose many for what they are, illiusionists.

Re: Bookmakers limits - an idea and your thoughts Bet £3.65 are one of the worst online bookies , they are spineless ,they only like mug punters. Ladbrokes in this years Grand National allowed me only £50 on Synchronised first thing in the morning , yet a few minutes before the off Gary Wiltshire says on BBC that Lad-brokes had laid a punter a bet of £50,000 at the same odds , was that BS ?

Re: Bookmakers limits - an idea and your thoughts

If I understand you right, you kind of want a Betfair type scenario, where they will list the total amount available at each price, alongside the price? I think it is a great idea and would make things more transparent, but I'd be surprised if the bookies went for it. It would expose many for what they are, illiusionists.
Not quite. Just a 'minimum' amount they will lay 'any' horse in the race to lose. It wouldn't need to alter between races but could if they wished. So, for example a bookie could have it displayed on the odds comparison site (just like BOG) that they'd lay any horse to lose a minimum of £100. We'd all know where we stand then wouldn't we and it'd stop time wasters.

Re: Bookmakers limits - an idea and your thoughts Seems fairly impractical to me as the bookies will always want to allow regular losing punters to bet more than any 'minimum amount'. I don't think they would really want to advertise openly to these losing punters that they are allowing them way higher limits than other punters. I do sympathise with your overall perspective, but I can't see why bookmakers would want to go out of their way to attract bets that they really don't want to have to lay (such as Pricewise at original advertised prices).

Seems fairly impractical to me as the bookies will always want to allow regular losing punters to bet more than any 'minimum amount'. I don't think they would really want to advertise openly to these losing punters that they are allowing them way higher limits than other punters. I do sympathise with your overall perspective, but I can't see why bookmakers would want to go out of their way to attract bets that they really don't want to have to lay (such as Pricewise at original advertised prices).
I'm not really proposing this for me as I bet in hundreds and therefore would be above the maximums anyway. I just think for your average punter wanting £5, £10 or £20 or a fancy it looks bad at the moment. My mate asked me to put £10 a 9-2 chance and the bookie offered £4 and a few pennies at the price and then kept it for hours afterwards. He's new to racing and commented 'what's the point of betting on horses if you can't win anything'. Therefore they are putting off new customers = lowering turnover = lower levy = deteriorating sport. From a business perspective it just seems madness all round

Bet £3.65 are one of the worst online bookies , they are spineless ,they only like mug punters. Ladbrokes in this years Grand National allowed me only £50 on Synchronised first thing in the morning , yet a few minutes before the off Gary Wiltshire says on BBC that Lad-brokes had laid a punter a bet of £50,000 at the same odds , was that BS ?
No it will be to a punter with a premium account aka "long term he does his brains"

I'm not really proposing this for me as I bet in hundreds and therefore would be above the maximums anyway. I just think for your average punter wanting £5' date=' £10 or £20 or a fancy it looks bad at the moment. My mate asked me to put £10 a 9-2 chance and the bookie offered £4 and a few pennies at the price and then kept it for hours afterwards. He's new to racing and commented 'what's the point of betting on horses if you can't win anything'. Therefore they are putting off new customers = lowering turnover = lower levy = deteriorating sport. From a business perspective it just seems madness all round[/quote'] Is your mate under 18? Surely he could have placed the bet himself?

Re: Bookmakers limits - an idea and your thoughts No Jay, he doesn't normally bet so doesn't have accounts. We were out for a pint and just chatting about racing and how to make a few quid. I mentioned I had one I was confident about and so he asked me to stick a tenner on for him. The struggle to get on was probably enough to put him off ever getting into racing.

Re: Bookmakers limits - an idea and your thoughts I agree with kithanga. Books need to adopt a pinnaclesports type approach where limits increase as you get close to off and they always advertise how much you can bet at a particular price. and if the price moves a tick, you can bet again. Hope pinnacle starts offering more horse-racing markets. Its quite annoying getting referred to trader when u want to place a £10 bet. (PS that was at coral and I havent won much there).