** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Dante Meeting

After living in York for most of my life, I've never made the Dante meeting due to exams/uni/skint but looks like I'll be able to make it this time around. Any PL'ers planning on attending? I know I'm going on the Friday for definite, but know this is quite a popular one with some of the Northern PL'ers :ok

Re: Dante Meeting Friday's a possible for me. Thinking about heading home for a weekend of revision(?!) so I could very easily get the train from Liverpool to York and then get the York to Harrogate train after the races. Not sure I've been to the Dante before actually. Remember going to the Leger when it was at York but wouldn't have been during the week I doubt.

Re: Dante Meeting I'm there all 3 days in the Grandstand, you can get a 3 day pass for £40. I'll be there tomorrow with Fintron and then I'm there on my own Thursday and Friday unless Kevshat comes up on the Friday. If you want to meet up any days drop me a PM and I'll send you my mobile number. We park at the Fox and Roman car park on the opposite side of the course near the 10f start, over the road from the Holiday Inn. Lunch in there is decent and well priced, I think it was £8 for 2 courses, usually get a main and a dessert. We'll be in there tomorrow for about 11.30am and then a 10 min walk over the course to get in. It's a nice relaxed 3 days, not over busy. You can get a decent viewpoint around the parade ring and queues for food, bets and toilets are not that bad. Usually a crowd of about 20k compared to John Smiths Cup day in July when you're looking at about 42k. :ok

Re: Dante Meeting I've always wanted to make the trip to York. Usually some decent train fares from Edinburgh if u get in early enough. £40 for a three day pass is VERY reasonable as well. Definitelygoing to pencil a York date into the diary for this year. Talking of York, anyone Identified any early bets for the coming days? I had pencilled in Ernest Hemingway on Thurs to have a look after reading a few posts in the ante post threads..

Re: Dante Meeting 1.30 York Think Romeo Montague is handicapped to win races soon but I reckon his chance will come when eased into 0-85 company. He's taking on some classy opponents tomorrow and it is easy to see why Godolphin's Flag Officer is 4/1 fav. He was second to Sea Moon over C&D last season and that rival went on to win the Group 2 Great Voltigeur next time out and run well in Pattern company thereafter too. He's first time out here but Godolphin are capable of getting them ready and Frankie rides the track as well as anyone. Gatewood is unexposed and there's likely better to come under Gosden and top-weight Kirthill might have one more big handicap win in him before he's forced into Listed races or better. I'd like to see Sirvino run well as he won the John Smith's Cup over C&D in 2009 and has been running well in defeat lately. This mark isn't beyond him and he looks one to interest each-way punters at 12/1. 2.00 York Shropshire is well ahead of the handicapper having been put up 5lb for finishing clear of everything on the far side at Newmarket last time out. He is allowed to race off his old rating of 90 and looks the most obvious winner even though he's bombed on all previous runs here and is ridden by an apprentice with no York win to his name, but in a race this competitive there are several dangers. Baby Strange ran well at Doncaster last time and has run well at this track in the past while Paul Hanagan prefers Coolminx of the Richard Fahey-trained runners which could be noteworthy. The last two are around the 12/1 mark, Instance, York Glory and Dickie's Lad are still improving and look handicapped to finish in the shakeup of what looks a brilliant sprint. 2.30 York Field of just six for the feature race of the day, the Musidora. The Fugue and Twirl dominate the betting. The former was a staying on fourth in the 1,000 Guineas and looks set to improve now upped in trip. Twirl disappointed at a short price on her seasonal bow but that is typical of most first time out runners from the O'Brien yard. She will come on plenty for that run and it could be a race to sit out from a betting point of view since there is little to split two 6/4 shots. 3.00 York The Duke of York Stakes looks to be an absolute cracker. Mayson is bidding for a hat-trick after gaining two wins at Newmarket at Listed/Group 3 level and is rapidly improving. There are Group 1 performers Hoof It and Society Rock making their seasonal debuts, while Cammidge winner The Cheka is hoping to continue his improvement, seemingly given a new lease of life by his trainer now finally dropped back to sprint trips. If the ground came up soft, last years winning connections might have a lively outsider in the shape of Soul (Group 2 winner with cut in Australia) but the ground changed to good tonight. There is a little rain forecast but a dry morning is expected. Good ground boosts the claims of Hoof it, if he's fully wound up to go (did win first time out last year).

Re: Dante Meeting 1.30 York RIGHT STEP 2pts to win @ 9/1 bog (Paddy Power and Boylesports) Right Step has been a very consistent horse at this level over the last couple of years. This 5yo gelding trained by Alan Jarvis has collected 2 wins and 6 seconds in 22 starts on flat and finished 2nd in this race last year off 94. That 2011 edition of this race was very good one as most of the horses have built on their performances since and won a lot of races, most of them going up a lot in the rating (the 3rd Arlequin is rated 11lb higher (103) now, the 4th Suits Me was rated up to 12lb higher (101) this winter and so on) and Right Step ran very well indeed. He travelled very well behind the leaders and took the lead over a furlong out but then had no chance with the winner Pekan Star. That was pretty unlucky as he bumped into a very unexposed sort as the problematic Pekan Star had ran only twice before that race: his debut in Aug 2009 (4th), a maiden for 3yo in Oct 2010 (1st) and that handicap/4yo debut off 85. Three efforts coming over a period of 621 days. Right Step finished again second off today's mark of 97 in a better event at Epsom (class 2 handicap over 1m2f, £28k to the winner) where he found again one too good (Resurge that won again last week at Chester). In that race he recorded a TS of 104 and matched his previous best RPR of 104 (the same he recorded at York 3 weeks before) so that was another thoroughly solid race ran by Right Step even if he came again one short. Later last year he lost his form (was also upped to 100 in the rating) but came back in sparkling from in 2012 making his debut over hurdles at Kempton in March and winning in nice style (the 4th of that race won in nice style yesterday). After that winning debut over hurdles he was tried (finished 8th of 12) in a very hot race (Grade 2) at Aintree at the Grand National Festival (race won by Darlan) but two weeks later (25 Apr) made a pleasing comeback on flat winning a quality race (£24k to the winner) at Epsom (1m2f, heavy, off 90). He's been upped 7lb for that easy win (Sirvino was second but well beaten) but as written above he raced in this race off 94 and was a bit unlucky to find Pekan Star last year and ran very well off 97 (second again) at Epsom in a better race last June. Top form, likes this track and has proven himself in this kind of contests many times now so he stands a solid chance today and at current prices I'm hoping he can add his third win to his palmares. Many good opponents of course but among them I want to mention just New Hampshire who was very unlucky last time out and is another runner at a very valuable price imho.

Re: Dante Meeting 2.00 York NEW PLANET 2pts to win @ 16/1 bog (William Hill) New Planet is a very talented young sprinter who has collected 3 wins and 2 thirds (once in a Group 2) in only 9 starts so far winning a Listed over 5f here at York at 2 (Aug 2010), racing very well over today's C&D last year (6th of 20 in a way better handicap for 3yo sprinters racing off 105) and winning again on his seasonal debut at Warwick (6f, soft) last month. This John Quinn-trained 4yo didn't have a very good season in 2011 but still he performed at his best over today's C&D because that 6th in a 20-runner hot handicap for 3yo sprinters ran last June was a very good performance. New Planet was racing off 105 and had finished just 12th (last) 3 weeks earlier in the Temple Stakes (Haydock, 5f, Group 2) against his elders three weeks earlier and that day he was finishing very fast showing that 6f is his perfect trip. As said that was a hot race as the winner Lexi's Hero was second off 5lb higher in a better race soon after that success at York, the 4th Swiss Dream has won three very good races since (two Listed) and is now rated 103 (14lb higher), the 5th Majestic Myles finished 1st, 2nd, 2nd and 3rd (4 days ago on his seasonal debut) in 4 Listed and is rated 111 (11lb higher) and so on. So that was a very good performance off 105 in a race way better than this (even if there were just 3yos of course) and in a season where New Planet mainly disappointed. He's been gelded during this winter and showed the benefit of that operation winning very easily at Warwich (9 Apr) on his seasonal debut even if he beat very little that day (still he wasn't even the favourite of that race). his next performance was at Newmarket 10 days later (19 Apr) in a Listed race (6f, good to soft) where he finished 5th of 10 in a race dominated by Mayson who is the favourite of the Duke of York (Group 2) later today. That wasn't a good performance for sure but he was not suited at all by the muddling pace and that's a problem he's not gonna face today for sure. This race has been won by a 4yo five times in the last seven years and five times in the last nine years by horses with one of the top three weights in the race so New Planet's profile looks good and at current prices I guess it's a very good idea to support a young horse that should still be able to prove himself better than this level especially after the gelding operation.

Re: Dante Meeting Awful day for me punting wise. Decided to go win only and in some races backed 2-3 horses. I picked out Kirthill, Area Fifty One and Gatewood for the first race, only wanted to back 2 so left out Gatewood. :( Nothing in the 2nd, not even close. Had backed Twirl on Betfair last night and then saw it parade and didn't like it, ran like a dog and was well beaten a furlong out. Had Society Rock and the French horse in the sprint, both win only, 3rd and 7th. Had a couple of bets on Mica Mika but it drifted on course from 11-2 to 8-1, went win only, it was 2nd. :wall Went for Mrs Browns Boy and another in the novice race, MBB was 3rd, backed it to win. Had Three Am Tour at 12-1 in the last but with a few others, win only, it placed. :( No idea how to approach tomorrow. Went today with Fintron, we were looking forward to some pub grub but it was all namby pamby posh food on the 2 courses for £8 menu so we had a pepsi and buggered off down the road for some chips from Harper's chippy. Met up with Rio, top bloke. His name isn't actually Rio and he wasn't dancing on the sand or across the Rio Grande. Clear to see he loves his horse racing and hope to meet up with him tomorrow. As I said earlier mate, the offer is there for a lift if you need one. :ok It was very quiet today but that was good as there were no queues for food, drinks, toilets, bets etc. Also started out very sunny and soon became breezy and bloody freezing. Ground seemed dead, walked over the course after racing and hardly any divots taken out of the ground. Officially good ground but need to check times as we felt they were slow. Can't believe Tiddliwinks won the sprint. The dog was last of 10 behind Mayson in a listed race and then dots up today at 25-1. :eek

Re: Dante Meeting Tiddlywinks result was a joke. Mayson played up before and wasn't interested today. Results like that and a really poor Chester meeting last week are really dampening the flat season so far. Weather has a huge part to play. It's a long way off but might try and make this meeting next year for the Weds/Thurs. Still not been to York and really want to, same with Chester

Re: Dante Meeting haha bit harsh calling him a dog! I may be bias but he clearly hates soft ground having finished almost last on each of the 3 times he has encountered ground with the word soft in and he doesn't go well fresh. Plus he was slow away in the Abernant.

Re: Dante Meeting

haha bit harsh calling him a dog! I may be bias but he clearly hates soft ground having finished almost last on each of the 3 times he has encountered ground with the word soft in and he doesn't go well fresh. Plus he was slow away in the Abernant.
There was a strange stunned silence as it flew home, didn't see anyone jumping up and down to suggest they'd backed it. I think most punters, me included were hoping for a really impressive performance from either Hoof It or Mayson to give us hope of finding one to beat Black Caviar. The Aussies will be pissing themselves now.

Re: Dante Meeting There must have been a problem with Mayson and Hoof It will surely come on for the run? I don't think Black Caviar has anything to fear... she will hack up. What the hell has happened to Sirius Prospect? Not the same horse this season.

Re: Dante Meeting Mayson was playing up in the stalls and was slowly away too Sirius Prospect was a horse I was looking foward to seeing this year but he has been terrible. Still think Mayson will pick up some good prizes. Society Rock ran well FTO though today, will come on for that and I imagine Ascot is the main target again.

Awful day for me punting wise. Decided to go win only and in some races backed 2-3 horses. I picked out Kirthill, Area Fifty One and Gatewood for the first race, only wanted to back 2 so left out Gatewood. :( Nothing in the 2nd, not even close. Had backed Twirl on Betfair last night and then saw it parade and didn't like it, ran like a dog and was well beaten a furlong out. Had Society Rock and the French horse in the sprint, both win only, 3rd and 4th. Had a couple of bets on Mica Mika but it drifted on course from 11-2 to 8-1, went win only, it was 2nd. :wall Went for Mrs Browns Boy and another in the novice race, MBB was 3rd, backed it to win. Had Three Am Tour at 12-1 in the last but with a few others, win only, it placed. :( No idea how to approach tomorrow. Went today with Fintron, we were looking forward to some pub grub but it was all namby pamby posh food on the 2 courses for £8 menu so we had a pepsi and buggered off down the road for some chips from Harper's chippy. Met up with Rio, top bloke. His name isn't actually Rio and he wasn't dancing on the sand or across the Rio Grande. Clear to see he loves his horse racing and hope to meet up with him tomorrow. As I said earlier mate, the offer is there for a lift if you need one. :ok It was very quiet today but that was good as there were no queues for food, drinks, toilets, bets etc. Also started out very sunny and soon became breezy and bloody freezing. Ground seemed dead, walked over the course after racing and hardly any divots taken out of the ground. Officially good ground but need to check times as we felt they were slow. Can't believe Tiddliwinks won the sprint. The dog was last of 10 behind Mayson in a listed race and then dots up today at 25-1. :eek
Yep one of them days, between the three of us we had a few off the woodwork. In the second race I had a bit more on Dickie's Lad with the bookies to win but most of them were 1/5 the odds in a 16+ handicap which is a disgrace so I had a bit place only on the Tote which was showing around what a 1/4 would pay. They flash past the post & I'm thinking bugger fifth but the commentator has him in a two way photo for third & fourth will do, the result of the photo comes through & he's fifth!! Hoof It was a major let down, I don't know if it was the ground but I've looked at the times & they're all slow with the Duke of York the nearest the standard at 2.46 slow & I don't think it's anywhere near good ground. Mica Mika ran ok as Mowgli says but messed up the price taken & the winner was streets in front of these & looks better than a handicapper. Looks hard tomorrow but I have had one bet this evening & I will be there tomorrow & I'll give you a buzz if I don't spot you before the first. Rio.

There must have been a problem with Mayson and Hoof It will surely come on for the run? I don't think Black Caviar has anything to fear... she will hack up. What the hell has happened to Sirius Prospect? Not the same horse this season.
Sirius Prospect lost 4-5 lengths at the start, missed the break.. Taking that into consideration, it ran a belter i thought.

Sirius Prospect lost 4-5 lengths at the start' date=' missed the break.. Taking that into consideration, it ran a belter i thought.[/quote'] He shaped okay for much of the race given the start but still clearly isn't in the same sort of form as last season. Thought he'd take a couple of runs to get into full stride so anticipated a big run yesterday. He'll bounce back at some point but these sprinters are funny animals!

He shaped okay for much of the race given the start but still clearly isn't in the same sort of form as last season. Thought he'd take a couple of runs to get into full stride so anticipated a big run yesterday. He'll bounce back at some point but these sprinters are funny animals!
He wasn't given a hard time yesterday after he missed the break. He travelled very well for a long way throughout, and was never going to win because of the bad start. There is a big difference between Class 2 Handicaps and Group races, it will find life tougher in Group company. But it will come good again, it is too good a horse not to.

Re: Dante Meeting I didn't even know he missed the break. Was watching on my phone and it cut out half the race for some reason. I couldn't even see tiddliwinks making his move on the bloody outside! Like you guys said, he will come good sooner or later. He is too good not to. As for black caviar, I don't see her having much opposition at royal ascot. Maybe if the ground comes up soft, the likes of moonlight cloud, society rock and a few others might have more of a chance. Still don't think they will get near her. Probably be an Aussie 1-2

He wasn't given a hard time yesterday after he missed the break. He travelled very well for a long way throughout' date=' and was never going to win because of the bad start. There is a big difference between Class 2 Handicaps and Group races, it will find life tougher in Group company. But it will come good again, it is too good a horse not to.[/quote'] He's definitely a Group horse though. Would fancy him to win one this season at some point if he gets enough chances.

Re: Dante Meeting Bonfire looked very nice in the paddock today but then played up on the way to the start away from the parade ring and then again, hanging all the way acrosss the track as it went to the stalls and also hung right after the race but strangely settled well during the race. The Godolphin horse looked ok but ran like a dog and was well beaten some way out. I was thinking how out of form Godolphin are and then I see they've fired in a few winners tonight at Newmarket. Izzi Top looked like the real deal and Ektihaam ran a fine race too in the Dante. The odds on horse that Spencer was on looks very handy.

Re: Dante Meeting Forgot to mention something me and Rio noticed the other day before the last race at York. The jockeys all came into the parade ring to speak with owners/trainers etc and Gosden took Buick all the way out of the parade ring to behind the white wooden platforms where the spectators view the horses to give him his riding instructions. He was making the hand movements to take a pull on the reins at some point. I don't think it was anything shady but it was odd not to give him his instructions in the parade ring like everyone else and like he'd done before for other races. I can't believe the winner of the first race had an SP of 20-1, there was 33-1 available with loads of on course bookies before the off. I had stated wasn't going to have a bet in the race but then noticed Ceiling Kitty had turned over a Hannon hotpot at odds on (Citius). Rio had taken a bet in the w/o fav market and I was fearful of Baileys Jubilee so I did the same and we decided we'd split any winnings. I got 9-1 in the w/o fav market and considered a nibble at 33's, didn't bother and was then kicking myself when the bloody thing won. Split the winnings and we had £50 a piece. My best bet of the day and even the week was in the last race, it saved my week and in that one bet I got back all the money I'd spent through the week on bets, food and drink. I had got my bet on and accepted that I'd probably be going home with just £15 in my wallet. I was on Frankie, Rio was on Buick and we should have really done a forecast as it paid £20 for an exacta for Estedaama/Danedream. We met Bathtime For Rupert today and a few of Lars' friends too. It was good to go to a meeting and meet a few members of PL. It's not too busy,no massive queues for food, drink or bets and you get a good chance to see the horses as the parade ring isn't too packed. I'll probably go to the Ebor meeting too. An enjoyable 3 days in good company and I feel I've seen some decent horses over that 3 days.

Re: Dante Meeting Was enjoyable to get down to York for the first time in 18 months or so (final meeting of 2010). Especially given it was complimentary from the Racing Post. Even though the ticket office staff had no record of me or any competition :lol. They gave me a couple of tickets anyway - I guess it was neither of our fault. I was a bit surprised with how quiet it was - especially when Lars said it was a fair bit busier than the preceding days. I guess the Ebor is the big one there and the weather was a bit mixed. Still, it made it handy for bets/drinks etc as Mowgli says, without being dead. Was disappointed to see War Poet taken out of the first as I was quite keen. Went back to my shortlist and opted for a small bet on Tepmokea. Partially on the formbook, and partially because he'd won the last race for me the last time I was at York, so it would have been quite remarkable had he won the very next one too! (having left the 2yo race alone) Unfortunately I only read afterwards that the Burkes had said the Ebor was his target and he wasn't fully tuned up. He ran well considering, though, and it was a good prep race for his new yard. Picked it up just about with 2 to go but was swallowed up in the end. Arctic Cosmos was disappointing although Lars had a decent bet on Red Cadeaux so I wasn't too disheartened. Had Laugh Out Loud not done the business in the next I'd have been on the way to a bad day but thankfully the money was right and the 7/2 I got overnight proved a very nice price. Master Bond, my BBOTD, never went a yard having been drawn on the far rail as he raced isolated so that was a shame. I thought Muffin McLeay was going to do the business for me at 20s (topped up at 18s on course) as he came to challenge but ended up a very respectable 3rd behind a progressive winner. So I hadn't picked up anything on course until the final race and I can't say I was all too confident given the weakness in the market for the Tregoning horse. Was quietly confident as Frankie came wide because I knew she'd stay on and roared her on as she came through late. That bet covered my day and a bit more on course and I knew I had some more to come back to online so overall it was a good day. Didn't get back quite as much as Mowgli on the last one but can't complain! As I said in the flat racing daily thread, it was enjoyable to meet a few of you and I look forward to doing the same in the future. I think the only two Yorkshire tracks I haven't done are Redcar and Ponte so wouldn't mind ticking them off at some point!

Was enjoyable to get down to York for the first time in 18 months or so (final meeting of 2010). Especially given it was complimentary from the Racing Post. Even though the ticket office staff had no record of me or any competition :lol. They gave me a couple of tickets anyway - I guess it was neither of our fault. I was a bit surprised with how quiet it was - especially when Lars said it was a fair bit busier than the preceding days. I guess the Ebor is the big one there and the weather was a bit mixed. Still, it made it handy for bets/drinks etc as Mowgli says, without being dead. Was disappointed to see War Poet taken out of the first as I was quite keen. Went back to my shortlist and opted for a small bet on Tepmokea. Partially on the formbook, and partially because he'd won the last race for me the last time I was at York, so it would have been quite remarkable had he won the very next one too! (having left the 2yo race alone) Unfortunately I only read afterwards that the Burkes had said the Ebor was his target and he wasn't fully tuned up. He ran well considering, though, and it was a good prep race for his new yard. Picked it up just about with 2 to go but was swallowed up in the end. Arctic Cosmos was disappointing although Lars had a decent bet on Red Cadeaux so I wasn't too disheartened. Had Laugh Out Loud not done the business in the next I'd have been on the way to a bad day but thankfully the money was right and the 7/2 I got overnight proved a very nice price. Master Bond, my BBOTD, never went a yard having been drawn on the far rail as he raced isolated so that was a shame. I thought Muffin McLeay was going to do the business for me at 20s (topped up at 18s on course) as he came to challenge but ended up a very respectable 3rd behind a progressive winner. So I hadn't picked up anything on course until the final race and I can't say I was all too confident given the weakness in the market for the Tregoning horse. Was quietly confident as Frankie came wide because I knew she'd stay on and roared her on as she came through late. That bet covered my day and a bit more on course and I knew I had some more to come back to online so overall it was a good day. Didn't get back quite as much as Mowgli on the last one but can't complain! As I said in the flat racing daily thread, it was enjoyable to meet a few of you and I look forward to doing the same in the future. I think the only two Yorkshire tracks I haven't done are Redcar and Ponte so wouldn't mind ticking them off at some point!
There's a Ponty meeting on Friday 1st June, just checked and it's a night meeting. If I can get away from work early I might go. Traffic can be a nightmare around the roundabout on the way to the course.