Stick to the first colours !

Today we saw the beginning of the Craven meeting , which traditionally signals the start of the flat season for most trainers. The highlight today was the Nell Gwyn a 1000 Guineas trail . Tom Seagal advised a horse called Lily's Angel which went off at 9/1. the horse is run by the syndicate Middleham Park Racing which also had Esentepe whose SP was 28/1. Today Esentepe wore the first colours and Lily's Angel had the second colours. They finished in that order Esentepe 1st and Lily's Angel 2nd , contrary to the betting market. The following race , K Abdulla had 2 horses in the 7 runner race . Perennial 5/4 fav ( green cap 2nd colours ) and Stipulate 8/1 ( pink cap , 1st colours ) . They too finished in the order the colours suggested and not the way the betting suggested. From a betting perspective I generally back the first set of colours of most owners , even if they are longer odds than the second colours. If I find that my fancy is wearing the second colours I may reduce my bet and maybe have a saver on the first string. I have found sticking to this rule has worked for me over the years and suggest others bear this in mind too when considering a bet. I didn't have a bet today but I recall a bet I did blind last year based on what i have suggested. it was a 4 or 5 runner race where Mark Johnston had 2 runners both in owned by his main patron Sheikh Maktoum the favorite was around evens ( green silks with the yellow cap , second colours ) and his other horse wearing was 20/1 ( green silks with the red cap , 1st colours ) . Purely based on the colours i bet the first string and it came in at 20/1 beating his stablemate. As a general rule follow the first colours of the Aga Khan , Hamdan al Maktoum ,Godolphin , K Abdulla etc. I can't say for sure this strictly appies to the Middleham Park racing colours because I'm sure many of the members like a bet unlike the arab owners. On occassions it does not go according to plan so please don't take my advice as gospel . Examples of where it has gone against me is the Derby of 1993 where I backed the even money fav pink cap of K Abdulla's Tenby only for his stablemate Commander in Chief in the green cap to win also trained by Henry Cecil and Godolphin white cap winning the Lockinge a few times. All in all it does pay to follow the first string.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.