What is your best piece of advice for profitable punting in 2012?

What is the best piece of advice you can give fellow PL'ers to help keep them on track to make a profit in 2012? Mine would be to develop a set of rigid staking rules and stick to them. I suppose this is where record keeping comes in, because if you have a set of data behind you, it is possible to identify areas where you do best, for example, Group races on the flat over 5-8f. You might also see that following horses below odds on failed to yield a long term profit and that the outside chances are also showing a loss. By then writing down half a dozen strict betting criteria, perhaps on a little piece of paper to keep in your wallet, you then have a constant reminder, whether betting at home, at work, in a shop or on course, of the types of bets you should and shouldn't be placing. I acknowledge that in order to beat the bookies long term you have to be constantly on your toes and prepared to adapt to changes, otherwise you get left behind, but I think many punters, myself included, can lose focus at times, including when winning, when there is a temptation to play up winnings while in the middle of a purple patch, or bending selection criteria to try halt a losing run. I once came across a slogan, 'bet with method and win' and I think the most successful punters aren't those that pick the most winners or those most adept are identifying out-of-line prices, its the ones with the best mindset, the best discliplined. My 'bit of paper in the wallet' is something I hope will help me in this respect and keep my betting in focus for 2012. Whats the best piece of advice you can share on the forum?

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.