** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

UEFA Super Cup > 26 Aug 11

I thought that I may as well get this thread started seeing how this is going to be a great match which no-one should miss where two European heavy weights will be going at it. Probable line-ups: Barcelona: Valdes, Dani Alves, Mascherano, Abidal, Adriano, Busquets, Xavi, Fabregas, Pedro, Messi, Villa. Injured: Puyol, Pique Porto: Helton, Fucile, Otamendi, Rolando, Sapunaru, Souza, Guarin, Moutinho, Hulk, Kleber, Varela. Injured: Alex Sandro Both teams are likely to play with a 4-3-3 formation. Being the attacking teams that these two are, I really fancy there to be a lot of goals in this match. I also fancy Barcelona to win this game by a few goals given the sublime performances they have been putting up lately, namely their 3-2 win over Real Madrid and their 5-0 drubbing of Napoli. 5pts Over 2.75 Goals @ 1.80 betdaq 7pts Barcelona -1.25AH @ 1.90 bet365

Re: UEFA Super Cup > 25 Aug 11

You've got the date wrong. The match is tomorrow 26 Aug 11 not 25th. Anyway I'll be backing 0-0 to kick things off at 20/1 with a view to a trade later on. Portugese sides are very well organised, and Barcelona have a tendency to start very slowly in these less important matches. I don't think I'd wanting to be going in large on goals or Barcelona covering handicaps.
Ha! Oh well, already placed my bets! :loon

Re: UEFA Super Cup > 25 Aug 11 The best football team on the planet just got a whole lot stronger over the summer. With a hard fought battle with Madrid already in the bag and a mauling of Napoli on monday night, Barcelona is shaping up nicely to go out and add the European Super cup to there growing list of titles. Porto on the other hand have lost there manager and star striker over the past few weeks. Alvaro pereira could be about to join Chelsea with reports suggesting he isn't in the squad to face Barca tmmrw night. Not the best preparation for a European super cup. I watched Porto's opening match of the season against Guimaraes, a match that the home team should have had at least a point given the chances they missed. I can see Barca having little problems in breaching porto's back line tonight. Messi looks as hungry as ever and will surely score his first European super cup goal tonight. Porto are a cracking side but they are IMO no match for Barcelona. I expect a hungry Barca team to run out 2-0 maybe even 3-1 winners tonight. My only concern is the state of the pitch which has been heavily criticised over the past couple of days. I have had some serious returns from Barcelona over the past couple of seasons and have no probelms in taking them -1.25 with odds of 1.92 with bet365. :hope

Re: UEFA Super Cup > 25 Aug 11 I expect Porto to come out all guns blazing,but once Barca settle down with there slick passing i can't see Porto offering much.Barca takes every game seriously even friendlies.With no spanish games last week I expect a stong Barca team tonight.Porto are a good team in there own league but not a top champions league team.Anyway gone for Barca -1 £40 @11/10 to release a free bet of £40 with bluesquare.

Re: UEFA Super Cup > 25 Aug 11 I watched Porto a lot last year and their reliance on Hulk is now going to be even greater than it was last year after the departure of Falcao, Pereira is also out tonight after Chelsea's approach. Valera is a decent player his scoring rate was impressive but I don't think he is a player you would be terrified of, Kleber I don't know much about to be honest didn't see Maritimo much last season. Porto are experts at reinventing teams and have had to create new sides numerous times in the last 10 years after the best players have been nabbed by richer clubs to an extent they are going to have to do that again. The Barca backline never seems to be settled, they don't seem to get injuries anywhere else on the team except for centre back, Abidal was one of their best players in the second leg against Madrid and will be fine at centre back Mascherano will be sure to get booked at some point, but plays the position well, obviously it's not ideal having them play in unnatural positions but they both know how to play there. I would like to see Fabregas start instead of Busquets but that doesn't appear likely currently, the side in midfield and attack is one we all know though and is very settled Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta; Pedro, Messi, Villa. It's difficult to see how anybody can compete with them on paper, as a side they have strengthened with grade A players like Fabregas and Sanchez, Porto's main hope will lie in the fact that they are just starting the season and won't be at full strength yet. Porto can be defensive when required, I was caught last year in the Europa Final when they played far more conservative than expected, but it worked and they won. I don't know much about their new coach Pereira but he is Porto through and through and we must assume he will continue with their attacking philosophies..I think in the Super Cup we were showed by Mourinho how to play against Barca; press them high, high up the pitch, the goalkeeper never kicks the ball long they always look to start attacks from the back, sit back and you will contain them for a bit but it's hard to do that for 90 mins, Porto's backline isn't brilliant either so I don't think they will sit back it wouldn't suit them. I expect, like others, to see an open game, it should be entertaining and high tempo. I personally don't think Porto have the players to pull this one off, they won't press Barca enough and won't be able to cut through them like they did with sides last year, the performances of Guarin, Fernando and Moutinho are crucial, if they can't get to grips with Iniesta and Xavi then Porto are likely to get overrun. As I said before I think Hulk is a brilliant player and I look forward to seeing how he gets on, both defences will be stretched at times and I wouldn't rule out a Porto goal but these are two clubs operating at different levels for me and I can't see Barca being overly troubled. Barcelona -1AH - 1.6 - 5 Points - Pinnacle

Re: UEFA Super Cup > 25 Aug 11 Not much to add but fully concur with Barcelona on the AH -1. The competition has something of a history of the underdog winning lately but knowing Barca's team spirit I think they will be motivated to lift the trophy and therefore should do so looking at the class difference between the two sides.

Re: UEFA Super Cup > 26 Aug 11 Gone with 0-0 at 18.5 @ Betfair Will review the bet after 20mins, 30 mins and then 45 mins. Hopefully will lay the bet off for a small profit. As has been said before Barcelona are sometimes slow to get going in matches added to the fact they seem to just keep the ball in the early stages only ever occasionally going for the perfect pass or opportunity to score. Add this to the fact Porto are a well organised unit. Only 2 goals conceded in the last 3 competive games. Porto have started their domestic campaign so this should add to their abilty to hold off Barcelona. I feel they'll hold out for longer than expected. Eventually I imagine Porto players will tire of chasing the ball and Barcelona will score a couple of goals later in the game ( After I have layed the original bet off ) :hope

I hope Porto will play very well . I want the surprise to happen. so come one FC Porto :nana
I hope the surprise happens too! Seeing as 8 of the last 12 Super Cups have gone to the Uefa Cup winners I'm happy to have a cheeky, speculative punt on Porto. Hulk does have the extra responsibility on his shoulders since Falcoa left but he seems to be happy to take it on his broad shoulders. With 3 goals in Porto's first 2 league games I'm also on him to score first. Porto to win: 17/2 with Betfair Hulk to score first: 12/1 with Betfair Porto win 3-2: 110/1 with Betfair :hope:hope:hope

Barsa to WIN. This is good bet, and lets be real that Real, Man.Utd and more strongest teams can not beat Barsa, Way now Porto will do that :). I think that Barsa will win with 2-1 or 2-0
I told you! 2-1 or 2-0 :spank

The best football team on the planet just got a whole lot stronger over the summer. With a hard fought battle with Madrid already in the bag and a mauling of Napoli on monday night, Barcelona is shaping up nicely to go out and add the European Super cup to there growing list of titles. Porto on the other hand have lost there manager and star striker over the past few weeks. Alvaro pereira could be about to join Chelsea with reports suggesting he isn't in the squad to face Barca tmmrw night. Not the best preparation for a European super cup. I watched Porto's opening match of the season against Guimaraes, a match that the home team should have had at least a point given the chances they missed. I can see Barca having little problems in breaching porto's back line tonight. Messi looks as hungry as ever and will surely score his first European super cup goal tonight. Porto are a cracking side but they are IMO no match for Barcelona. I expect a hungry Barca team to run out 2-0 maybe even 3-1 winners tonight. My only concern is the state of the pitch which has been heavily criticised over the past couple of days. I have had some serious returns from Barcelona over the past couple of seasons and have no probelms in taking them -1.25 with odds of 1.92 with bet365. :hope
The pitch was as I expected, awful. Porto played really well but lacked -discipline and in the end Barca always find a way. First max bet of season rolls in :cheers :beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer

I expect Porto to come out all guns blazing' date='but once Barca settle down with there slick passing i can't see Porto offering much.Barca takes every game seriously even friendlies.With no spanish games last week I expect a stong Barca team tonight.Porto are a good team in there own league but not a top champions league team.Anyway gone for Barca -1 £40 @11/10 to release a free bet of £40 with bluesquare.[/quote'] Close one but a wins a win.:nana