** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Scotland > Weekend > SPL > 20-21 August

Saturday 20 August 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gif Aberdeen v Inverness Caledonian Thistle (15:00 BST) 2.51 3.4 3.25 100.02 %
maximize.gif Dundee United v Dunfermline Athletic (15:00 BST) 1.8 3.75 5.5 100.40 %
maximize.gif Hibernian v St Mirren (15:00 BST) 2.22 3.4 3.55 102.63 %
Sunday 21 August 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gif Motherwell v Rangers (14:15 BST) 6.5 4 1.66 100.38 %
maximize.gif Celtic v St Johnstone (15:00 BST) 1.21 6.6 23 102.14 %
maximize.gif Kilmarnock v Hearts (15:00 BST) 2.77 3.5 2.69 101.85 %

Re: Scotland > Weekend > SPL > 20-21 August Celtic vs St. Johnstone Celtic have started the season in fine form, winning 2-0 away to Hibs in which as a Hibs fan I can say they should have scored more including a penalty miss from Hooper and also the home demolishing of Dundee United 5-1 and a 1-0 win at Pittodrie. St.Johnstone started with a decent draw against Aberdeen before losing 2-0 and 1-0 to Rangers and SPL newboys Dunfermline. The perth side don't like travelling to Glasgow as they have only won 1 in the last 13 trips, Conceeding 3 or more 8 times in the last 10. Celtic will be playing in the Europa on thursday so this bet is depending on no big injuries from that match. Celtic Team Goals ... over 2.5 @ 1.90 (Bet365).

Re: Scotland > Weekend > SPL > 20-21 August

Celtic vs St. Johnstone Celtic have started the season in fine form, winning 2-0 away to Hibs in which as a Hibs fan I can say they should have scored more including a penalty miss from Hooper and also the home demolishing of Dundee United 5-1 and a 1-0 win at Pittodrie. St.Johnstone started with a decent draw against Aberdeen before losing 2-0 and 1-0 to Rangers and SPL newboys Dunfermline. The perth side don't like travelling to Glasgow as they have only won 1 in the last 13 trips, Conceeding 3 or more 8 times in the last 10. Celtic will be playing in the Europa on thursday so this bet is depending on no big injuries from that match. Celtic Team Goals ... over 2.5 @ 1.90 (Bet365).
Agree fully here, also think there is some value in the Celtic clean sheet which is 4/5 with Bet365. St Johnstone yet to score this season and failed to at all agianst the Hoops last season in the 3 fixtures between the sides. Celtic also had the meanest defence in the league last year. Selections: Celtic clean sheet @ 1.8 with Bet365 - 2 units Celtic team goals - over 2.5 @ 1.9 with Bet365 - 2 units Celtic 3-0 @ 7.5 with Bet365 - 0.5 units Celtic 4-0 @ 11 with Bet365 - 0.5 units

Re: Scotland > Weekend > SPL > 20-21 August I think the Celtic result will depend largely on the side Neil Lennon picks. Celtic drew 0-0 tonight at home to FC Sion, and didn't really trouble the Swiss side. Gary Hooper and Beram Kayal will both miss out for Celtic through injury whilst Emilio Izaguirre is still a long-term absentee, though Kelvin Wilson should be fit enough to return to the heart of defence. Celtic ended up playing 4-5-1 against Sion to counter the Swiss side who were dominating the early proceedings in midfield, with current top scorer, Anthony Stokes, playing left wing - a role he took up a handful of times last season, and failed to impress in any of those appearances. Through no fault of his own, I should add, as Stokes is never a winger, but Lennon seems to have a blind spot towards Samaras and shifted Stokes out wide to accomodate the Greek "striker". St. Johnstone won't cause as many problems however, and Lennon should be able to stick with 4-4-2 and keep both Samaras and Stokes up top. I've my doubts about those two as a partnership though, so while I would expect Celtic to win, I wouldn't be too comfortable backing a high-scoring game. St Johnstone haven't scored against either half of the Old Firm in their last six attempts, and I don't fancy them to end that run this weekend - they have just one goal in their last five SPL matches, and haven't yet scored this season. All taken into consideration, I'm looking at: Celtic to win to nil @ 1.83 with Bet365 Celtic 2-0 @ 7.00 with Unibet I can't see anything other than a Celtic win, so there's money to be made by backing Celtic/Celtic @ 2.10 and Draw/Celtic @ 4.00, both with William Hill.

I think the Celtic result will depend largely on the side Neil Lennon picks. Celtic drew 0-0 tonight at home to FC Sion, and didn't really trouble the Swiss side. Gary Hooper and Beram Kayal will both miss out for Celtic through injury whilst Emilio Izaguirre is still a long-term absentee, though Kelvin Wilson should be fit enough to return to the heart of defence. Celtic ended up playing 4-5-1 against Sion to counter the Swiss side who were dominating the early proceedings in midfield, with current top scorer, Anthony Stokes, playing left wing - a role he took up a handful of times last season, and failed to impress in any of those appearances. Through no fault of his own, I should add, as Stokes is never a winger, but Lennon seems to have a blind spot towards Samaras and shifted Stokes out wide to accomodate the Greek "striker". St. Johnstone won't cause as many problems however, and Lennon should be able to stick with 4-4-2 and keep both Samaras and Stokes up top. I've my doubts about those two as a partnership though, so while I would expect Celtic to win, I wouldn't be too comfortable backing a high-scoring game. St Johnstone haven't scored against either half of the Old Firm in their last six attempts, and I don't fancy them to end that run this weekend - they have just one goal in their last five SPL matches, and haven't yet scored this season. All taken into consideration, I'm looking at: Celtic to win to nil @ 1.83 with Bet365 Celtic 2-0 @ 7.00 with Unibet I can't see anything other than a Celtic win, so there's money to be made by backing Celtic/Celtic @ 2.10 and Draw/Celtic @ 4.00, both with William Hill.
Hi mate, nice write up, and GL with your bets. Just wondering where you got the 2.1 on Celtic/Celtic?? I can only see 1.61 on this, but would be very interested in the 2.1. cheers

Re: Scotland > Weekend > SPL > 20-21 August Dundee United v Dunfermline: Dundee United (-0.75AH) @ 1.971 with Pinnacle (6/10) Got to credit the Pars for a fine start to the season. They've taken 5 points from their opening 3 games, which is more than most probably predicted. Now, though, I think is the time to oppose them. They've ridden their luck in all three encounters, and while of course they've played some decent stuff themselves, they've benefited from their opponents' slackness. In their opener, St Mirren missed tons of chances (including a penalty) in a match where Dunfermline barely threatened; they then drew 3-3 with Caley, an injury-time free-kick saving their bacon; and then beat St Johnstone 1-0 at McDiarmid Park. But Saints couldn't score in a brothel with a fist full of fifties, Pars' keeper Paul Gallacher coming the rescue on umpteen occasions, including another penalty save. A visit to Tannadice represents a big step up in class from those outings. United won't suffer from the same profligacy, and even if Gallacher is in top form again, I can't see him keeping the hosts at bay for 90 minutes. Jon Daly and Johnny Russell are forming an attractive partnership and they'll cause the Pars no end of trouble. United might have lost 5-1 at Celtic last week, but they played well, and anyone can go down that heavily at Parkhead on any given day. Their effort and workrate is second to none, regardless of the opponent, and having stuttered in both their home games so far (1-1 draws with Killie and St Mirren) there will be a real urgency to put things right. Celtic v St Johnstone: Celtic (-1.75AH) @ 1.862 with Pinnacle (4/10) That Celtic failed to breach FC Sion last night only serves to strengthen my confidence in this bet. I fear St Johnstone might be made to pay for Celtic's frustration. I expect Neil Lennon to make a few changes to keep players fresh for next week's trip to Switzerland, but the players who come in won't make life any easier for the Perth travellers. I think we might see Shaun Maloney and Paddy McCourt start, and they're the perfect men to unravel Saints' stoical, stuffy defence. Derek McInnes' men couldn't hit a donkey's arse with a frying pan. They're solid enough at the back, and neat in tidy in midfield with Jody Morris at the heart of everything they do, but there's just no threat beyond that. Sheridan and Sandaza are decent enough players, but neither's going to strike fear into opposing defenders. They'll be forced to defend for long spells and Celtic might need to take only a fraction of their chances to cover this line. Kilmarnock v Hearts: Over 2.25 goals @ 1.935 with Pinnacle (3/10) Most of Britain will have taken a good look at Hearts the other night ... and it wasn't pretty. X-rated stuff from the Jambos, and while nerves played a big part in their shocking start, their defensive inadequacies were exposed for all to see. I've already backed Hearts to finish third this season, and I still think they will, but they have serious problems at the back. They kept a clean sheet on SPL duty against Aberdeen last week (winning 3-0), but only thanks to wastefulness from the Dons. It could have easily been 3-3. Individually, Hamill, Webster, Zaliukas and Grainger are all good players, but as a unit, they're a helluva lot of work to do. In the league, they can mask it by doing what they're good at - attacking. In the likes of Templeton, Stevenson, Driver and Skacel, they'll always create chances for Sutton and Elliot. Killie are something of a poor man's Tottenham. They've defied the critics (including myself) in a bright start to the season, capped with a destruction of Hibs at Rugby Park last Sunday. They're neat, tidy and fast, creating chances for fun, with James Dayton in particular looking a real threat. Both sides will attack here, simply because neither can afford to play any other way. I was expecting an over 2.5 line at this price, so let's pounce! Good luck if you play! :ok

Hi mate, nice write up, and GL with your bets. Just wondering where you got the 2.1 on Celtic/Celtic?? I can only see 1.61 on this, but would be very interested in the 2.1. cheers
I seen the price listed on OddsChecker but admittedly I didn't actually check with Hills. If it's not available I apologise and I'll amend my post accordingly.

I seen the price listed on OddsChecker but admittedly I didn't actually check with Hills. If it's not available I apologise and I'll amend my post accordingly.
Ah no worries, thought it might be a mistake. Was getting excited as well :p

Re: Scotland > Weekend > SPL > 20-21 August Aberdeen v Inverness - (Asian Total Corners) Over 9.5 @ 1.80 - B365 3pts Early season basement battle at Pittodrie tomorrow when Aberdeen welcome Inverness. They have both won just one point in four games and defeat for either will result in a long season down at the wrong end of the table. Both teams will be well up for this and hopefully make a quick start out of the traps. The line set looks low to me. Stats: Aberdeen at home (total corners) - 19 v St Johnstone, 10 v Celtic. They win an average of 9.5 corners themselves, albeit only two games. Inverness away from home (total corners) - 11 v Motherwell, 14 v Dunfermline. They win an average of 6.5 corners themselves, albeit only two games. The very same fixture last season produced 12 corners in the first meeting and 11 in the second. Aberdeen won both games.

Re: Scotland > Weekend > SPL > 20-21 August Dundee United v Dunfermline - Dundee Utd @ 4/5 Betfred Much better odds than I was expecting here for the Arabs. I was at the game at Celtic Park last week and while it was 5-1, United did have a good spell of pressure at 2-1 and were unlucky not to score again with Zaluska making a couple of very good saves to keep them at bay. They are not as strong as last season but Jonny Russell looks an excellent player and will soften the blow of losing Goodwillie, alongside John Daly they should have too much for the newly promoted Pars and get their first home win of the season. Mothewell v Rangers - Rangers @ 8/11 William Hill Motherwell have made a very impressive start to the season and sit top with 3 wins and a draw. They have creativity and goals in the form of impressive Jamie Murphy and Nicky Law and on paper this looks a tricky game for Rangers following an away European game on Thursday night and suffering a defeat may be suffering from a hangover. However, Motherwell were atrocious against Rangers last season and in the last two meetings they lost 6-0 at Ibrox and then 5-0 at Fir Park at the tail end of last season. The fact that Well have started the season so well while Rangers havent been overly impressive means we are getting 8/11 which looks value on the away side. They were lucky in taking the points at Inverness last week when they were incorrectly awarded a penalty with the game locked at 0-0 but with the firepower they posess and the fact Well have an awful recent record against Sundays opponents I think the away side are slightly overpriced here, although of course I will be cheering on the hosts.

Re: Scotland > Weekend > SPL > 20-21 August Aberdeen - Inverness: Draw @ 3.34 (Pinnacle) 10/10 This should be a tight match with an increased chance of the draw result appearing. Aberdeen has started the season in an awful way (0-1-3; 0:5 goals) and hasn't scored a goal in 4 matches. Inverness has had an equally awful beginning (0-1-3; 3:9 goals). The guests' three goals all came in one match against Dunfermline which ended in a 3-3 draw. Both teams sit at the bottom of the table and have indicated a generally poor standard of play thus far. Inverness probably has a weaker defense, but Aberdeen's offense is clearly weaker. I believe both will want to avoid a 4th defeat and thus we should get a tight match that may just end in a 0-0 or 1-1 draw. Hibernian - St. Mirren: Draw @ 3.40 (Ladbrokes) 10/10 Both teams have difficulty in scoring which makes the draw result more likely. Hibernian's record (1-0-2; 2:6 goals) indicates weakness both in offense and defense. St. Mirren's record is better (1-2-1; 2:2 goals) but it is clear that they too have problems in scoring although the defense is solid. I think both teams will play to avoid defeat and given that both are less than prolific scorers I think the draw is likely. Good Luck...:hope

Aberdeen v Inverness - (Asian Total Corners) Over 9.5 @ 1.80 - B365 3pts Early season basement battle at Pittodrie tomorrow when Aberdeen welcome Inverness. They have both won just one point in four games and defeat for either will result in a long season down at the wrong end of the table. Both teams will be well up for this and hopefully make a quick start out of the traps. The line set looks low to me. Stats: Aberdeen at home (total corners) - 19 v St Johnstone, 10 v Celtic. They win an average of 9.5 corners themselves, albeit only two games. Inverness away from home (total corners) - 11 v Motherwell, 14 v Dunfermline. They win an average of 6.5 corners themselves, albeit only two games. The very same fixture last season produced 12 corners in the first meeting and 11 in the second. Aberdeen won both games.
6-6 = 12 :ok

Aberdeen - Inverness: Draw @ 3.34 (Pinnacle) 10/10 This should be a tight match with an increased chance of the draw result appearing. Aberdeen has started the season in an awful way (0-1-3; 0:5 goals) and hasn't scored a goal in 4 matches. Inverness has had an equally awful beginning (0-1-3; 3:9 goals). The guests' three goals all came in one match against Dunfermline which ended in a 3-3 draw. Both teams sit at the bottom of the table and have indicated a generally poor standard of play thus far. Inverness probably has a weaker defense, but Aberdeen's offense is clearly weaker. I believe both will want to avoid a 4th defeat and thus we should get a tight match that may just end in a 0-0 or 1-1 draw. Hibernian - St. Mirren: Draw @ 3.40 (Ladbrokes) 10/10 Both teams have difficulty in scoring which makes the draw result more likely. Hibernian's record (1-0-2; 2:6 goals) indicates weakness both in offense and defense. St. Mirren's record is better (1-2-1; 2:2 goals) but it is clear that they too have problems in scoring although the defense is solid. I think both teams will play to avoid defeat and given that both are less than prolific scorers I think the draw is likely. Good Luck...:hope
This didn't go as I thought......:(

But you rated them both as 10/10 bets - surely some mistake? :unsure
No mistake mate....I always, with very few exceptions, bet full stakes on my bets. That's the way I like it....:ok

Re: Scotland > Weekend > SPL > 20-21 August Motherwell v Rangers Under 1.5 Goals @ 11/4 Bet365 3pts 0-0 @ 12/1 Skybet 0.5pts Motherwell have started the season brightly with three wins and one draw, their last 3 matches in the SPL have gone under this line. Rangers suffered a setback in Europe midweek and could be lagging a tad here, they've played twice away this season in the SPL winning 2-0 both times. They haven't been free scoring themselves just yet and I can see a close encounter here with the home side happy with a point.

Celtic v St Johnstone: Celtic (-1.75AH) @ 1.862 with Pinnacle (4/10) That Celtic failed to breach FC Sion last night only serves to strengthen my confidence in this bet. I fear St Johnstone might be made to pay for Celtic's frustration. I expect Neil Lennon to make a few changes to keep players fresh for next week's trip to Switzerland, but the players who come in won't make life any easier for the Perth travellers. I think we might see Shaun Maloney and Paddy McCourt start, and they're the perfect men to unravel Saints' stoical, stuffy defence. Derek McInnes' men couldn't hit a donkey's arse with a frying pan. They're solid enough at the back, and neat in tidy in midfield with Jody Morris at the heart of everything they do, but there's just no threat beyond that. Sheridan and Sandaza are decent enough players, but neither's going to strike fear into opposing defenders. They'll be forced to defend for long spells and Celtic might need to take only a fraction of their chances to cover this line.
Looks like the Celtic was the donkey and it got hit preety hard.

Dundee United v Dunfermline: Dundee United (-0.75AH) @ 1.971 with Pinnacle (6/10) Celtic v St Johnstone: Celtic (-1.75AH) @ 1.862 with Pinnacle (4/10) Kilmarnock v Hearts: Over 2.25 goals @ 1.935 with Pinnacle (3/10)
Dundee United 0-1 Dunfermline - LOSS Celtic 0-1 St Johnstone - LOSS Kilmarnock 0-0 Hearts - LOSS Horror show from me this weekend. From what I've read and heard, the TV highlights tonight will make frustrating watching. Sounds like United and Celtic should have won their games three times over, but that's football... Apologies to anyone who followed. Back on the horse next weekend. Cheers :ok

Dundee United 0-1 Dunfermline - LOSS Celtic 0-1 St Johnstone - LOSS Kilmarnock 0-0 Hearts - LOSS Horror show from me this weekend. From what I've read and heard, the TV highlights tonight will make frustrating watching. Sounds like United and Celtic should have won their games three times over, but that's football... Apologies to anyone who followed. Back on the horse next weekend. Cheers :ok
i watched some highlights from Dundee Utd and Celtic games and results were very unlucky, so the picks weren't so off and with a bit of luck this weeks three losses can come to three winning bets next weekend. Good luck

Celtic vs St. Johnstone Celtic have started the season in fine form, winning 2-0 away to Hibs in which as a Hibs fan I can say they should have scored more including a penalty miss from Hooper and also the home demolishing of Dundee United 5-1 and a 1-0 win at Pittodrie. St.Johnstone started with a decent draw against Aberdeen before losing 2-0 and 1-0 to Rangers and SPL newboys Dunfermline. The perth side don't like travelling to Glasgow as they have only won 1 in the last 13 trips, Conceeding 3 or more 8 times in the last 10. Celtic will be playing in the Europa on thursday so this bet is depending on no big injuries from that match. Celtic Team Goals ... over 2.5 @ 1.90 (Bet365).:eyes
0-1... Shocker.

Agree fully here, also think there is some value in the Celtic clean sheet which is 4/5 with Bet365. St Johnstone yet to score this season and failed to at all agianst the Hoops last season in the 3 fixtures between the sides. Celtic also had the meanest defence in the league last year. Selections: Celtic clean sheet @ 1.8 with Bet365 - 2 units:eyes Celtic team goals - over 2.5 @ 1.9 with Bet365 - 2 units:eyes Celtic 3-0 @ 7.5 with Bet365 - 0.5 units:eyes Celtic 4-0 @ 11 with Bet365 - 0.5 units:eyes
This went well.