** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

England: League One Aug 6

:nana

Saturday 6 August 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Brentford v Yeovil Town (15:00 BST) 1.9 3.5 4.33 104.28 %
maximize.gif Carlisle United v Notts County (15:00 BST) 2.25 3.4 3.25 104.63 %
maximize.gif Charlton Athletic v AFC Bournemouth (15:00 BST) 1.9 3.5 4.2 105.01 %
maximize.gif Huddersfield Town v Bury (15:00 BST) 1.7 3.75 5.5 103.67 %
maximize.gif Milton Keynes Dons v Hartlepool United (15:00 BST) 1.75 3.6 5.03 104.80 %
maximize.gif Oldham Athletic v Sheffield United (15:00 BST) 2.95 3.4 2.42 104.63 %
maximize.gif Preston North End v Colchester United (15:00 BST) 1.75 3.55 5 105.31 %
maximize.gif Sheffield Wednesday v Rochdale (15:00 BST) 1.83 3.65 5.2 101.17 %
maximize.gif Stevenage v Exeter City (15:00 BST) 2.37 3.4 3.2 102.77 %
maximize.gif Tranmere Rovers v Chesterfield (15:00 BST) 2.37 3.4 2.88 106.24 %
maximize.gif Walsall v Leyton Orient (15:00 BST) 2.52 3.4 2.78 105.07 %
maximize.gif Wycombe Wanderers v Scunthorpe United (15:00 BST) 2.56 3.4 2.75 104.84 %

Re: England: League One Aug 6 Preston vs Colchester: PRESTON 1.73 (Stan James) Iv backed Preston to win League 1 @ 8.00 so I`ll be following them closley this season. Preston has a change of fortune towards the back end of last season when Phil Brown took over and if he had been there earlier they possibly may of beat the drop. After keeping hold of their top goalscorer Iain Hume (12 league goals) and the return of Niel Mellor (13 league goals) from Sheff Wed, Preston wont be short of fire power. some interest from Premiership clubs for the likes of Conor McLaughlin, Jamie Proctor and Adam Barton I feel Preston are going to be too strong for Colchester. :hope

Re: England: League One Aug 6 Sheffield Wednesday vs Rochdale AFC Wednesday have seemingly drifted slightly to 1.91 to win this match outright. Jermaine Johnson is going to be injured so that does unveil some question marks as to what we will do on the wings, but my guess is we will play narrow with Sedgewick and D. Jones on the wings. At the time of writing there have been no signings to bolster our attack so I assume we will start with Gary Madine and Clinton Morrison up top. They promise good movement but for me, both go down a bit too easily to say they are 'big lads'. That said, I am confident that they will be able to get goals against a Rochdale team who's last outing was a 2-0 loss to Crewe. Rochdale are bring just two (!) coaches of fans to us which surprised me somewhat, as I was expecting to see more of them make the short trip for the opener. All in all, I think everyone will be looking for Sheffield Wednesday to make a winning start, at home, against a team who are weaker than last year. My only worry is that we tried to sign Chris O'Grady in the summer and he snubbed us, which makes him nailed on to score tomorrow and show our need for more firepower to be urgent. Therefore, the bets I am plumping for are the following: Sheffield Wednesday to win @ 1.91 (7pts) Chris O'Grady to score at anytime @ 3.25 (1pt) Gary Madine and Chris O'Grady to score at any point in the match @ 7.50 (1pt) Gary Madine to score 2 or more @ 7.00 (1pt) All prices with William Hill, and as usual I've staked 10pts on the match. I usually try to do this in every match to make it easier to taly up season profit/loss. Cheers.

Re: England: League One Aug 6 Oldham v Sheffield United - Under 1.5 (9/4 Bet365) So far this pre-season we have kept clean sheets against Burnley, Wigan and Blackburn and only conceded 1 goal late on against Blackpool. The key to this is replacing the error prone Hazell with Zander Diamond, who has looked decent so far this pre-season. He is forming a formidable partneship with Mvoto, who we managed to sign on a permanent. I think if these two stay fit this season teams may find it difficult to break us down. Also a key piece of info is that we have got rid of Dean (not so) Brill in goal who was to blame for a chunk of our conceded goals last season. We have replaced him with Cisak from Accrington. I have not seen this guy yet as he had a bruised finger in pre-season so wasnt risked but id wager quite a significant amount that he will be better than Brill. The fact is we didnt concede many in pre-season with 16 year old scholars in net which is a good sign. Last season we were pushing for the play-offs when we suddenly dropped towards possible relegation contenders. The reason for that was a lack of goals, we were relying on midfielders to get the goals early on but then these dried up leaving nobody to put the ball in the net. We have signed Matt Smith and he has looked a right handful upfront, scoring a couple of goals, but these were pre-season games and I think it might take him a few weeks to get going. He will most likely start upfront alongside Reuben Reid. Reid had a decent scoring rate whilst at Rotherham but he didnt realy look like bagging any last season and I dont think much has changed over the summer. Another point is that Morais will be missing from this game after being sent off towards the end of last season. Morais is probably our most creative player and can create something out of nothing so I think that will be a blow to our scoring chances. To conclude, we have improved our defence and have looked strong in that area in pre-season. However we still look like we might be a big shy of goals, especially in the first few weeks as Smith adapts to league football. My prediction would be 1-0 to either side; unfortunately I think that may be United so Ill also be having a small amount on the Correct Score market - Oldham 0-1 Sheffield United (15/2 Bwin)

Re: England: League One Aug 6 Never easy betting at the start of the season, but think there is some value in the Sheff Wed v Rochdale match. 5pts - Total Goals - Under 2.5 @ 10/11 (Will Hill) A few reasons for this. 1) We (Wednesday) are lacking our main attacking threat. Jermaine Johnson is injured, meaning we have a severe lack of pace on our wings (likely to play Chris Sedgwick and a centre midfielder out wide). He has been the only player looking like making things happen in the final third for a long time for us now, and is a big miss. 2) Our two strikers at the club are in question. Clinton Morrison got a very poor return last season, and Gary Madine (according to Facebook stalkers) has posted that he is unhappy in Sheffield and feels like he has gone backwards since coming here!! How true I dont know, but our forward line doesn't scream confidence. 3) Gary Megson has been in the media today talking about the importance of clean sheets, saying how when he got WBA promoted, they kept 27 clean sheets, or something along those lines. Our main additions this summer have been Julian Bennett (filling the problem left back spot), Jose Semedo (defensive midfielder), retaining the impressive Lewis Buxton despite alleged Championship interest, and signing towering centre half Rob Jones. It is clear Megson is going to make us hard to break down first and foremost, creating a strong spine before worrying about anything else. 4) Our pre-season 'real' games (bar the 'academy' getting violated at Alfreton etc) have been tight affairs with few goals. I don't like looking into pre-season friendlies too much, but the suggestions so far in the games played (1-1 vs Leeds, 0-0 vs Stoke) suggest keeping it tight, and not much attacking vigour. 5) Rochdale are no mugs. They played us off the park at Spotland last season, and Megson will be well aware of this. He will not want a repeat, and again this all adds to the theory we are going to be hard to break down. 0.5pt e/w - Rob Jones 1st Goal Scorer @ 25/1 (General) 0.5pt e/w - Reda Johnson 1st Goal Scorer @ 33/1 (BlueSQ, Will Hill) One area we have been at pains to improve is our set pieces. In what I expect to be a tight affair, any deciding goals could well be from set pieces, an area we have been working hard on in pre season by all reports. Both these centre halves are threats from corners, Reda Johnson especially being a 'unit' and notching several times last season. The only possible downside here is Megson may prefer Mark Beevers, but if Johnson starts, 33/1 is great value. Rob Jones also proved handy from corners last season, and as captain should be nailed on to start (barring any injury concerns). Certainly worth getting involved in small stakes for me here, as I really think we are going to turn the screw on set pieces this season with the way Megson wants us to play. Good luck folks, and here's to another successful season on PL.

Re: England: League One Aug 6 Stevenage v Exeter City - Lay Stevenage @ 2.26 - Betfair 2pt Liability My one serious bet for tomorrow. I still don't know to this day how Stevenage got promoted! They failed to win a game at home against the top eight teams - winning once and losing seven to them same top eight teams away from home. They kicked off their season last time out against Macclesfield were they went off 1.91 favourites and could only scrape a 2-2 draw. Exeter are no mugs; they finished eighth last season and even with the loss of Cureton, they can get a result here. I know the confidence factor etc but I don't see it helping them in any way. I stumbled across some stats on Twitter: Teams promoted from League 2, opening day fixture in League 1, in the last 6 seasons. Played - 24. Won - 5. Drew - 6. Lost - 13.

Re: England: League One Aug 6 Good write ups so far, its clear there's a wealth of knowledge from people who aren't too bad at articulating it, so hopefully this season we'll be able to start something good going. My only concern with the other Wednesday fans' bets (hiya mate!) is that R. Johnson is probably 4th choice centre half and I doubt will play in this fixture. In team news for Rochdale, new manager Steve Eyre will be without winger Simon Hackney who is definitely out for the remainder of this month. Chris O'Grady will have a fitness test on the morning of the match. Jake Kean has just signed on loan from Blackburn and will start as their 'keeper. I just have a feeling that I couldn't be backing any team where the manager hasn't been in place long, have looked shocking in pre-season and are playing with a 'keeper who has had only 2-3 days to get to know the centre halves. The fact that this team play my team is irrelevant, I feel. Hopefully the 1.91 will prove to be value that we won't see much more of at Hillsborough this season.

Re: England: League One Aug 6

Good write ups so far, its clear there's a wealth of knowledge from people who aren't too bad at articulating it, so hopefully this season we'll be able to start something good going. My only concern with the other Wednesday fans' bets (hiya mate!) is that R. Johnson is probably 4th choice centre half and I doubt will play in this fixture. In team news for Rochdale, new manager Steve Eyre will be without winger Simon Hackney who is definitely out for the remainder of this month. Chris O'Grady will have a fitness test on the morning of the match. Jake Kean has just signed on loan from Blackburn and will start as their 'keeper. I just have a feeling that I couldn't be backing any team where the manager hasn't been in place long, have looked shocking in pre-season and are playing with a 'keeper who has had only 2-3 days to get to know the centre halves. The fact that this team play my team is irrelevant, I feel. Hopefully the 1.91 will prove to be value that we won't see much more of at Hillsborough this season.
It did slip my mind that we had got Danny Baath back too, my bad! However this adds further weight to my under 2.5 bet, because he was a rock last season. I do agree, the price on the Wednesday win could look ridiculous value come 5pm, but you just never know what to expect from Wednesday the first game of a new season. Expectations are always high and who knows what will happen, I'm sure you remember the destruction of Burnley a few seasons ago, but also that humbling defeat to Colchester the first time we came down. Thats why I've erred on the side of caution and left us alone this week, but the more I look at the price the more I want to get involved.

It did slip my mind that we had got Danny Baath back too, my bad! However this adds further weight to my under 2.5 bet, because he was a rock last season. I do agree, the price on the Wednesday win could look ridiculous value come 5pm, but you just never know what to expect from Wednesday the first game of a new season. Expectations are always high and who knows what will happen, I'm sure you remember the destruction of Burnley a few seasons ago, but also that humbling defeat to Colchester the first time we came down. Thats why I've erred on the side of caution and left us alone this week, but the more I look at the price the more I want to get involved.
Christ I've just seen they have Brian Barry-Murphy playing for them. Do you remember him? Hillsborough's worst ever left back is 8/1 to score at anytime :unsure

Event Sheff Wednesday - Rochdale
Selection Rochdale
Strength 10/10
Date 06/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 4.75
Reasoning Sheff Wednesday is being considered as a favorite to promotion this season, but looking well to their squad, they reinforced well the defense but they have no value on attack. Even the coach Gary Megson is insisting that his squad need more players. Rochdale end ninth on the last season, showing to be a solid team and they hired a new coach, making a good pre season and I am optimistic they surprise and get a positive result here. I see here a balanced game and the odds on visitors side are quite attractive to me and I think they worth a shot.

Event Sheff Wednesday - Rochdale
Selection Rochdale
Strength 10/10
Date 06/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 4.75
Reasoning Sheff Wednesday is being considered as a favorite to promotion this season, but looking well to their squad, they reinforced well the defense but they have no value on attack. Even the coach Gary Megson is insisting that his squad need more players. Rochdale end ninth on the last season, showing to be a solid team and they hired a new coach, making a good pre season and I am optimistic they surprise and get a positive result here. I see here a balanced game and the odds on visitors side are quite attractive to me and I think they worth a shot.
I'm not for one minute saying that your bet won't win, but I'm surprised you see no value in a front pairing of one player who scored 18 last season and is described at the "Andy Carroll of the FL" and another player who has played 494 league matches, scoring 148 goals and has an international record of 9 goals in 36 appearances for Ireland. Also you describe Rochdale as having a good-pre season but actually they lost 3 and won only 1. They also lost their manager and a number of good players in the close season. Again, you may well win your bet and I do wish you luck, as I do everyone with their selections, but if people are looking at this and deciding to follow your bet, I feel the information is a little mis-leading.

Stevenage v Exeter City - Lay Stevenage @ 2.26 - Betfair 2pt Liability My one serious bet for tomorrow. I still don't know to this day how Stevenage got promoted! They failed to win a game at home against the top eight teams - winning once and losing seven to them same top eight teams away from home. They kicked off their season last time out against Macclesfield were they went off 1.91 favourites and could only scrape a 2-2 draw. Exeter are no mugs; they finished eighth last season and even with the loss of Cureton, they can get a result here. I know the confidence factor etc but I don't see it helping them in any way. I stumbled across some stats on Twitter: Teams promoted from League 2, opening day fixture in League 1, in the last 6 seasons. Played - 24. Won - 5. Drew - 6. Lost - 13.
0-0 FT. :ok

Re: England: League One Aug 6 Well in looks like we had some good results today. Massive thanks to liveforever who tipped up Rob Jones at 25/1. Good call there my mate :ok I'll get stakes refunded as O'Grady didn't start the match due to failing his fitness test but my 7pts on Sheffield Wednesday to win has come in. So it does mean that after 1 game I am now +5.73 points up for the season, albeit after the first match. Lets hope we can carry on in similar vein.. :clap

Never easy betting at the start of the season' date=' but think there is some value in the [u']Sheff Wed v Rochdale match. 5pts - Total Goals - Under 2.5 @ 10/11 (Will Hill) A few reasons for this. 1) We (Wednesday) are lacking our main attacking threat. Jermaine Johnson is injured, meaning we have a severe lack of pace on our wings (likely to play Chris Sedgwick and a centre midfielder out wide). He has been the only player looking like making things happen in the final third for a long time for us now, and is a big miss. 2) Our two strikers at the club are in question. Clinton Morrison got a very poor return last season, and Gary Madine (according to Facebook stalkers) has posted that he is unhappy in Sheffield and feels like he has gone backwards since coming here!! How true I dont know, but our forward line doesn't scream confidence. 3) Gary Megson has been in the media today talking about the importance of clean sheets, saying how when he got WBA promoted, they kept 27 clean sheets, or something along those lines. Our main additions this summer have been Julian Bennett (filling the problem left back spot), Jose Semedo (defensive midfielder), retaining the impressive Lewis Buxton despite alleged Championship interest, and signing towering centre half Rob Jones. It is clear Megson is going to make us hard to break down first and foremost, creating a strong spine before worrying about anything else. 4) Our pre-season 'real' games (bar the 'academy' getting violated at Alfreton etc) have been tight affairs with few goals. I don't like looking into pre-season friendlies too much, but the suggestions so far in the games played (1-1 vs Leeds, 0-0 vs Stoke) suggest keeping it tight, and not much attacking vigour. 5) Rochdale are no mugs. They played us off the park at Spotland last season, and Megson will be well aware of this. He will not want a repeat, and again this all adds to the theory we are going to be hard to break down. 0.5pt e/w - Rob Jones 1st Goal Scorer @ 25/1 (General) 0.5pt e/w - Reda Johnson 1st Goal Scorer @ 33/1 (BlueSQ, Will Hill) One area we have been at pains to improve is our set pieces. In what I expect to be a tight affair, any deciding goals could well be from set pieces, an area we have been working hard on in pre season by all reports. Both these centre halves are threats from corners, Reda Johnson especially being a 'unit' and notching several times last season. The only possible downside here is Megson may prefer Mark Beevers, but if Johnson starts, 33/1 is great value. Rob Jones also proved handy from corners last season, and as captain should be nailed on to start (barring any injury concerns). Certainly worth getting involved in small stakes for me here, as I really think we are going to turn the screw on set pieces this season with the way Megson wants us to play. Good luck folks, and here's to another successful season on PL.
:ok:ok:ok:clap:clap:clap

Oldham v Sheffield United - Under 1.5 (9/4 Bet365) So far this pre-season we have kept clean sheets against Burnley, Wigan and Blackburn and only conceded 1 goal late on against Blackpool. The key to this is replacing the error prone Hazell with Zander Diamond, who has looked decent so far this pre-season. He is forming a formidable partneship with Mvoto, who we managed to sign on a permanent. I think if these two stay fit this season teams may find it difficult to break us down. Also a key piece of info is that we have got rid of Dean (not so) Brill in goal who was to blame for a chunk of our conceded goals last season. We have replaced him with Cisak from Accrington. I have not seen this guy yet as he had a bruised finger in pre-season so wasnt risked but id wager quite a significant amount that he will be better than Brill. The fact is we didnt concede many in pre-season with 16 year old scholars in net which is a good sign. Last season we were pushing for the play-offs when we suddenly dropped towards possible relegation contenders. The reason for that was a lack of goals, we were relying on midfielders to get the goals early on but then these dried up leaving nobody to put the ball in the net. We have signed Matt Smith and he has looked a right handful upfront, scoring a couple of goals, but these were pre-season games and I think it might take him a few weeks to get going. He will most likely start upfront alongside Reuben Reid. Reid had a decent scoring rate whilst at Rotherham but he didnt realy look like bagging any last season and I dont think much has changed over the summer. Another point is that Morais will be missing from this game after being sent off towards the end of last season. Morais is probably our most creative player and can create something out of nothing so I think that will be a blow to our scoring chances. To conclude, we have improved our defence and have looked strong in that area in pre-season. However we still look like we might be a big shy of goals, especially in the first few weeks as Smith adapts to league football. My prediction would be 1-0 to either side; unfortunately I think that may be United so Ill also be having a small amount on the Correct Score market - Oldham 0-1 Sheffield United (15/2 Bwin)
Looked comfortable at half time. United didn't realy look like scoring and neither did we. Then Mvoto must have banged his head at half time as he was all at sea second half. Terrible defending in the first 15 mins of the second half cost this bet. Sheffield United did deserve to win though. They looked better than most teams in this division and I think theyll be pushing for promotion come the end of the season.