paddock/parade ring

Re: paddock/parade ring I have to agree: you must be mad thinking to get anything worthwhile from longterm paddock watching. Horses are so different from one-another to gain anything worthwhile. Casual Garcia in the parade ring, first time out after his wind-op at Plumpton, 2011-04-24. Won by 2.25 lengths: 20110424PlumptonRacecourse?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPXT_PHW0MX_xwE&feat=directlink6f54sj4

Re: paddock/parade ring It's not essential, but it's a tool that should be utilised when at the track imo. At Nottingham last season, towards the end of the season Sir Michael Stoute and Ryan Moore had a promising 2 year old with one run under it's belt where it had finished I think 5th in a reasonable contest at Newbury or somewhere of the like. Hughesy was on an unraced one but in the paddock it stood out like a mile. Moore's ride looked like a underfed kitten in comparison. The odds on Moore's horse was something like 1/3 and going on form alone you would have thought it well worth a bet. The paddock told me completely differently and I had a small stake on Hughesy's horse and it promptly went and won. Moore's horse coming in something like 7th. There's no way I would have had the bet had I not looked at them in the pre parade ring. The main thing to look out for when the horses are parading is when the horse walks past you, look at it's eyes. If it winks at you, lump on. :nana

Re: paddock/parade ring After 20 odd years i still wouldn't know what to look for at the racecourse.I couldn't distinguish a group horse from a selling plater , and i'm sure a lot of us on here would be the same. If you don't know anything about paddock watching then just simply ignore it as a tool for picking winners.The only time i take notice of paddock information is when close to the off time a horse drifts massively in the market.I usually stay clear of the drifter and back something else.

Re: paddock/parade ring I personally find it easier to spot the negs than the positives. Obviously if a horse is sweated up it is not a good sign unless it has a known history of doing so. Remember a few years ago one of the Derby horses had a baseball bat between it's legs (obviously got excited by fillies) and that certainly didn't help it's chances - can anyone remember the name - was in the early 2000's? Horses on their toes is also a neg, especially in 2 year olds or novices over jumps. I tend to be more forgiving to head strong sprinters as they are IMO a bit more "snappy". I also try not to get carried away, if a horse looks amazing and is shinning like a polished pair of squadies boots but has 15lb to find, the good condition will only maybe better it by a few lbs. Usain Bolt could be out of condition, hungover and carrying extra weight having not trained for a month. I could be looking great, trained hard, defined muscles and all that, and I may find a few lengths on my best form, but I will still get trounced by Usain Bolt. It's another equation to add to the odds before having a punt with the bookies. :rollin