** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Interview with Washman - Satellite King!

Nade

After Washman's brilliant WSOP Main Event package win at Bwin and many other victories i was interested in how the big man did it and wanted to get to know his mindset a bit better so asked him a few questions and he's very kindly replied for us so here is the first of perhaps many interviews if people like the theme :) It’s said preparation can be vital to performances at the tables; with tournaments lasting a long time do you prepare for that or do you just start some up whenever you feel in the mood?

Never really do any preparation, basically as soon as I get home during the week, or when I get up on a weekend I'll fire up the laptop and look for something to play. I very rarely take a day off, unless I'm away somewhere with work etc.

How did you come to play the satellite on Bwin, for example is there a set routine you have of looking for good satellites?

I've been to Australia twice, and Macau once with Bwin, so I know they look after you outside of the poker (e.g. meals, days out), so they were always my main aim to qualify with. I did play a couple of qualifiers on 888, but there are just too many rounds to get through (4 as opposed to 2 on Bwin). Generally, I'll play on the sites I'm most comfortable with - it makes a big difference if you're comfortable with the software.

You’ve had a lot of success with online satellites, what mindset do you have when you sit down- Do you set small goals as you go through or just play to win?

Most of the sats I've won have had only 1 package, so you have to play to win. However, saying that, the first goal is to reach the payouts if there is more than the one prize e.g. in the bwin game, 12 people got a $320 ticket to have another go at qualifying, so this was the first target. Really, I'm just thinking about getting to heads up with a reasonable stack to compete. As it was I was outchipped by approx. 5 to 1 when we got to that point.

Did you have any distractions during the Main Event satellite?

I was playing a few other games, but that normal, so nothing out of the ordinary.

At what point during the tournament did it sink in ‘I can win this thing’?

You always have to think you can win it, but once you get to the last 3 or 4 it becomes much more of a possibility.

I imagine most people would have sweaty palms at the business end of that tournament with such a big prize on offer, how were you feeling?

I was quite calm - I think it helps having won a few big packages before. I remember when I won my first couple of big packages (Asian Poker Classic and Aussie Millions) - I couldn't sit still or sleep for hours afterwards, now its an hour or so whilst it sinks in, then off to bed!!

I’m mainly a cash game player and I feel experience is vital in those, do you feel the same about tournaments and particularly satellites where winning is everything?

Experience obviously helps a lot, but probably more so when there are several equivalent prizes on offer - I played quite a lot of live sats for the Aussie Millions one year, and you see how different it is once you get to the bubble - all you have to do is survive one more place, regardless of your stack

What was your first reaction when the final pot was shipped your way to seal the $13000 WSOP package win?

In football parlance I was 'over the moon'.
I had been on the phone with heniek for quite a while - he was helping me not to do anything stupid, he was just as happy as me, which shows what a great bunch of people there are on PL.

How do you plan to approach the Main Event with it’s very deep structure?

Just planning on taking it steady to start with, but take any opportunities when they arise. With such deep stacks there is a bit more opportunity to play speculative hands in the early levels to try and hit monsters. In my first Aussie Millions I played 33 early on - flopped a boat, turned quads and won a nice pot. Thats the sort of hand you want in the early stages!!

A lot of Brits have taken down bracelets recently, even one already this year in Jake Cody, hopefully you can add to the list, the very best of luck!

Cheers - I'll try to keep people updated with my progress :hope

Thankyou.