** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Mercury Music Prize 2011

Hi ladies and gents, long time viewer, not so much a tipster, but thought I'd bring this one up after viewing the odds over the week... To find out more of what this award is, the wikipedia page covers it, but in short terms, its a annual prize for 'the best' British and Irish album of the year. As a music fan, I recently kept an eye on the prices that are currently available on this market, currently available with Hills and Ladbrokes due to part curiosity, part history into what happened previously years (Paul Weller suddenly going into clear favourite a day or two before the awards but not winning being one of the main vocal points). Now for this years, while there is no nominees set yet, the main favourite for the majority of time has predicably been for Adele - 21 at around 3/1, but the main arguement to go against her for this award is, she doesnt really need it. The more interesting part to this years, or atleast the pricing, has been the sudden change in PJ Harveys - Let England Shake, who for the majority of time sat at 14/1 on Hills, but over the last day or two has taken a massive jump to 6/4 favourite, which included the fact, there isnt even a nominee announcement yet, is quite the change. Considering this change, its very much worth noting that Ladbrokes still has her at 8/1. While im not saying, 'Throw your house on this lads!', I would say if this kind of market interests you it is a decent sounding bet, her album has been critically noted as one of the albums of the year, without being one of the highest selling, and while it takes no considerment into the awards, it would be 10 years after she last won it. Others I would note as considerments into winning presently include (in having not given the full field a listen...); Wild Beasts - Smother Anna Calvi - Anna Calvi Yuck - Yuck

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2011 The nominations are announced shortly before noon today. PJ Harvey's been the most popular pick seemingly being backed like she can't lose for her to make history as the first act to win the Mercury Prize twice. I can't think of anybody who'd overtake her right now. It'd take a 'sneak attack' like a Speech Debelle to win. Will dubstep finally get a winner after being snubbed a couple of times!? If that's the case then SBTKRT could be the shock winner. I wouldn't be surprised to see PJ Harvey at less than 2/1 as bookies take cover. Ladbrokes and William Hill will surely be the first out of the blocks to issue odds as soon as the twelve albums have been announced. Toy Horses were stuck at 25/1 at Paddy Power and didn't seem to shift over at Paddy Power. I think Instelling is almost spot on as to who'll be the also-rans with Adele, Anna Calvi & Wild Beasts. Yuck? Not so much. We'll see though. Those who might make the final 12 to give the list some gravitas but surely won't win include Elbow and Radiohead. Also there's the obligatory token jazz entry. It's usually a mix of four y'know and eight y'don't.

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2011 The nominees are: Adele - 21 Katy B - On a Mission James Blake - James Blake Anna Calvi - Anna Calvi Elbow - Build a Rocket Boys! Everything Everything - Man Alive Ghostpoet - Peanut Butter Blues & Melancholy Jam King Creosote & John Hopkins - Diamond Mine PJ Harvey - Let England Shake Metronomy - The English Riviera Gwilym Simcock - Good Days at Schloss Elmau Tinie Tempah - Disc-Overy http://www.mercuryprize.com/aoty/shortlist.php They may as well give the prize to PJ Harvey now. :eyes

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2011 Pretty happy with this outcome, alot of bigger names missing from the final few, PJ looking more than better than the majority of that lot, glad I got a small stake on her back at 8/1, moved to 5/2 favourite on Hills now. Still dont see them giving Adele a look, for reasons already mentioned but other than PJ, only others I would look at are James Blake and Anna Calvi.

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2011 James Blake is superficially quite good but he'd be a very dour winner. Anna Calvi has had a minor resurgence thanks to a good reception to her Glastonbury performance. Adele definitely doesn't need it. It's like the reason they wouldn't let Amy Winehouse win when The Klaxons won. I like Tinie Tempah but he doesn't merit a win and neither does Katy B's talk-singing over dubstep. I still don't get the fuss over Elbow. I don't get Everything Everything which isn't all that all that. Metronomy is the token indie entry to pad the numbers. Gwilym Simcock is the token jazz entry that doesn't win. King Creosote & Jon Hopkins and Ghostpoet, I have no idea about. WHO'S THE THREAT!? Most likely, Anna Calvi and Katy B. In a previous battle between the ladies, it was Speech Debelle who emerged triumphant against the likes of Florence and the Machine and Bat for Lashes. Two big snubs: Radiohead (Simon Frith usually has a slot reserved for them and this is only the second time that they've been snubbed) and Wild Beasts.

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2011 Today's Bettingzone Market News: 1320: Only a day after the nominations were announced, Coral have seen a big gamble on Anna Calvi to win the Mercury Prize and have cut her price to 4/1 (from 12/1) after seeing a number of four-figure bets. The self titled debut album from the London singer is now the second favourite behind PJ Harvey with Let England Shake at 2/1. "We are used to seeing a run of money for the winner a day or two before the official announcement, but this is definitely the biggest and earliest gamble we have seen in the twenty years of betting on the event," said Coral spokesman Gary Burton. Third favourite at 6/1 for the prestigious prize is Adele's 21. =============== Four figure bets!? Does someone know something!? Will Anna Calvi win!? If it happens, it happens. There have been false gambles but a few late gambles landed. Drowned In Sound gave Anna Calvi's album 3/10. http://drownedinsound.com/releases/15894/reviews/4141819 The sharp-tongued remark is that the Mercury Prize usually goes to the worst album.

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2011 A similar instance happened last year when Paul Weller went from an outsider to dead favourite, and in the end came to nothing, but that was the weekend before the event. Always interesting to see though, not suprised Anna Calvi's price has dropped, though expected it to be a bit closer to the event. If Anna Calvi and others such as James Blake prices drop further I may be tempted to put a little wager on Adele as she goes out, not that she needs it as mentioned, but it wouldnt suprise if ended up her way.

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2011 A load of rubbish on the list again. Those of you suggesting Adele is too big to win should remember that the Arctic Monkeys won it with their debut album as did Franz Ferdinand and neither of them needed the boost. Both were just clearly the best albums to come out in those years. I usually have a little play but Ive got to be honest Im stumped as to who they are going to give it to this year.

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2011 Both Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand were breakout acts in the years they won though that happened to be 'too big to be ignored' not established multi-million selling acts on their second album. Also, they were the betting favourites to win in their respective years. I fell for the Paul Weller gamble (its started off in the Birmingham area according to William Hill) and I was screaming blue murder thinking the insiders managed to yet again place a late winning bet (previous late gambles landed include Speech Debelle, Elbow, Klaxons, Antony and the Johnsons & Ms. Dynamite) but there have been some right red herrings & false favourites (Florence and the Machine, Burial, Bat for Lashes, Amy Winehouse, Kaiser Chiefs, The Darkness, The Zutons & The Streets to name but a few). If Anna Calvi wins, it will probably be a case of 'Adele and PJ Harvey didn't need it'. :eyes :unsure I'll be slightly disappointed if it is Anna Calvi who wins. I'll give up on the Mercury Prize if it goes to Adele. Adele probably needs £20k to help pay off her £4 million+ tax bill though. :cigar OT: The Washington Post have a go and they've gone for Katy B, James Blake and Anna Calvi. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/click-track/post/taking-sides-picking-the-mercury-prize-winner/2011/07/21/gIQAXhmzRI_blog.html

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2011

Both Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand were breakout acts in the years they won though that happened to be 'too big to be ignored' not established multi-million selling acts on their second album. Also' date= they were the betting favourites to win in their respective years.
Im sorry but to me Adele success is a bit like the Arctic Monkeys. At the time they had the fastest selling debut of all time so it wasnt like they needed a bump up like other winners have had. Also Adeles first album wasnt really huge until everyone started buying after 21 came out. I actually wouldnt be that surprised if they did give it to her. The two I really dont want to get it are James Blake and Everything Everything.

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2011 The Mercury Prize has a habit of being kingmakers. Any bump or benefit is superficial. For every Elbow, there's a Speech Debelle or an Antony and the Johnsons. For Adele, read Amy Winehouse when 'Back to Black' was up for the Mercury Prize but Klaxons won. The same sort of thing will almost certainly happen. Adele remains third favourite behind PJ Harvey and Anna Calvi but there's plenty of time though for voters between now and September for odds movement and late gambles. If Adele wins, you'll have proved your point though. Personally, I think Adele's reward will be at the Brit Awards and the Grammys.

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2011 In the indie world though Klaxons were massive already and Im not sure winning the prize gave them much of a boost in the same way Pulp, Monkeys, and Franz didnt need it either. Im not going to be backing Adele like I say I think any of the list could win.

• 1 month later...

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2011 James Blake moves into second favourite at some bookies with some money going on Metronomy. PJ Harvey remains 15/8 and less. I can only shake my head in absolute disappointment if James Blake wins. What a dull winner he'd be. :zzz The ceremony is Tuesday 6th September so odds will mostly be pulled this weekend.

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2011 The odds as they are right now (not quoting odds from Victor Chandler): PJ Harvey 2/1 (Bet365) Adele 13/2 (Bet365/Betfred/Blue SQ/Bodog/Paddy Power) James Blake 7/1 (Ladbrokes/Paddy Power) Anna Calvi 7/1 (William Hill) Metronomy 11/1 (Ladbrokes) Ghostpoet 12/1 (Bet365/Ladbrokes) Katy B 22/1 (Coral) King Creosote & Jon Hopkins 25/1 (Betfred/Stan James) Everything Everything 33/1 (Ladbrokes) Elbow 40/1 (Coral/Ladbrokes/Stan James) Tinie Tempah 40/1 (Coral/Ladbrokes/William Hill) Gwilym Simcock 66/1 (Bet365l/Ladbrokes/Stan James) It'll be interesting to see where the late money goes. I doubt there'll be a late gamble at some high street branches in Birmingham this time around! :lol

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2011 Some nibbles on James Blake, Everything Everything and even King Creosote & Jon Hopkins but nothing significant. I'll be stunned if it goes to King Creosote & Jon Hopkins tomorrow night. No smoke without fire and all that... ...today's Bettingzone Market News: 1200: The Mercury Music Prize is given out tomorrow and PJ Harvey remains a solid favourite with 15/8 the best price around. William Hill have seen support for King Creosote & Jon Hopkins, who have been cut to 16/1 from 40s over the weekend. "The Judges have produced a number of surprise winners in recent year, Anthony and The Johnsons and Speech Debelle to name a few. Over the weekend we have seen a significant gambles on King Creosote and Jon Hopkins, who our punters think could be the dark horse this year," said Hill's spokesman Rupert Adams.

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2011 The bookies are taking cover on King Creosote & Jon Hopkins and James Blake. Metronomy also nibbled at. PJ Harvey still favourite though. PJ Harvey should win but if the late gambles on either James Blake or King Creosote & Jon Hopkins come off then the insiders have well and truly timed it to absolutely sneaky perfection like they've done previously.

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2011 PJ Harvey and Anna Calvi remain fairly easy to back but nobody wants to back 'em whilst James Blake and King Creosote & Jon Hopkins prove fairly popular. Adele and Metronomy are being supported as well. I'll give up speculating on the Mercury Prize if it goes to Adele. :@

The more interesting part to this years' date=' or atleast the pricing, has been the sudden change in [b']PJ Harveys - Let England Shake, who for the majority of time sat at 14/1 on Hills, but over the last day or two has taken a massive jump to 6/4 favourite, which included the fact, there isnt even a nominee announcement yet, is quite the change. Considering this change, its very much worth noting that Ladbrokes still has her at 8/1. While im not saying, 'Throw your house on this lads!', I would say if this kind of market interests you it is a decent sounding bet, her album has been critically noted as one of the albums of the year, without being one of the highest selling, and while it takes no considerment into the awards, it would be 10 years after she last won it.
3 months in advance, advised at 8/1 :clap

3 months in advance' date=' advised at 8/1 :clap[/quote'] Cheers, I'll never get it that right again :lol. Hope some others were lucky to get on it while it was at that price (albeit the long wait for it come off!). Well worthy winner in the end, not that there was too much doubt based on the pricing the last month or two.

Re: Mercury Music Prize 2011 Today's Bettingzone Market News: 1330: PJ Harvey celebrated becoming the first ever double winner of the Mercury Prize on Tuesday and William Hill go 16/1 about her winning the award for a third time before 2020. Hills have released their odds for next year’s award and make Kasabian’s upcoming Velociraptor the early 7/1 front runner. Oasis were nominated twice for the award and Hills go 8/1 about Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds going one better while Mercury shortlist regulars Radiohead are the same price. "PJ Harvey has now won the award twice and it would appear that she knows the formula to producing a Mercury winning album, the only question now is whether the judges would be able to justify giving her the award for a third time," said Hill’s spokesman Joe Crilly. Mercury 2012: 7/1 Kasabian; 8/1 Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds; 8/1 Radiohead; 10/1 Ed Sheeran; 10/1 Florence and the Machine; 12/1 Coldplay; 16/1 Mumford and Sons; 20/1 Rizzle Kicks; 20/1 Example; 20/1 Calvin Harris; 25/1 Wretch 32; 25/1 Laura Marling; 25/1 Miles Kane; 25/1 Elbow; 33/1 All The Young; 33/1 Jessie J; 50/1 Professor Green; 66/1 Hard-Fi; 80/1 Charlie Simpson. ============= The winner will be a new act and likely none of those quoted above by William Hill will even be nominated. When the veteran act wins it's usually followed by a win for a debut album. Ed Sheeran is probably likeliest to be nominated but he'll be 'old news' and is likely to win Best British Male at the Brit Awards thus he'll be snubbed.