** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Irish Leagues & Cups - September

Re: IRELAND: FAI Cup 19.08

Lol beat me to it, but I did a write up on this game and hope it's of some interest. Be gentle, first proper write up in about 4 years. Sligo Rovers v Shamrock Rovers FAI Cup Quarter Final 8pm A repeat of last year's final - Sligo eventually winning that occasion on penalties. Second and third in the League of Ireland, they both trail Derry City by 1 point. Tonight will be the seventh meeting of the season between the sides and although Shamrock Rovers won the first 4 encounters of the year, Sligo won the last 2, including a dramatic late comeback win in Dublin 10 days ago. Fatigue and squad selection will play a big part in tonight's game, Shamrock R could be forgiven for being distracted by their Europa League outings and tonight will be their 6th game in 16 days while it will be Sligo's 4th in the same period. Shamrock R do have a strong squad and are likely to rotate a little with their packed schedule. Pat Flynn, Dean Kelly, Karl Moore and Ken Oman and are all out. Top scorer Gary Twigg is a doubt as is midfielder Ronan Finn. Sligo are without suspended defender Danny Ventre but are otherwise at full strength. Verdict: I should have picked an easier game for a first write up :) but a lot will depend on Shamrock Rovers selection. A replay would be a disaster in their already packed schedule and a packed Showgrounds might just swing it in favour of Sligo.
:welcome Soccerwebs, or welcome back maybe :unsure Not much to add to either of these, just I suppose to point out that Rovers don't play again after tonight until Saturday when they are home to Bray in the league. After that it's away to Spurs the following Thursday in the EL. So I suspect that O'Neill may view the Bray game as the best opportunity to rest some of his key players. Will wait for teams to be comfirmed to get involved

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: IRELAND: FAI Cup 19.08 Teams are announced. Shamrock Rovers are playing a mixed team, but have rested a lot of their usual starting eleven. Therefore, and because Sligo Rovers have a great home record, and are a very good team to boot, I think Sligo DRAW NO BET with Betfair @ 1.73 odds is a very safe bet.

Could anyone of Irish friends confirm the status of these two important players in tonight's match?
First, my analysis is wrong set up in "Irish leagues" topic. :\ Second, Twigg and Finn won't play from the start, as well as several first team players - while Sligo will be with the best team. With view of my first choice for this game, must play and this one... Sligo / Sligo @4.00 1/10

Irish football 20.09 Thanks for the welcome so adding my write up for Tuesday. Bohemians v Dundalk FAI Cup Quarter Final Replay 7:45pm Bohemians meet Dundalk for the sixth time this season on Tuesday night and the third meeting in eight days. They drew 0-0 on Friday as they did in their first meeting of the season. Bohs won the last two league encounters but Dundalk won at Bohs in May. For both clubs, the FAI Cup is realistically the only thing left to play for this season, with Bohs only retaining an outside chance of remaining in the league title race. Dundalk have slipped into some poor form in recent weeks and have won just one of their last ten games, that win coming in a replay in the previous round against Drogheda. Bohs are unbeaten in 6 but have a much better away record (9 league wins) than at home (6 league wins). Bohs joint top scorer Christy Fagan is set to return after being rested for the original game in Dundalk. Dundalk are without Eoghan Osborne, Stephen Maher and influential defender Colin Hawkins while Stephen McDonnell and Ross Gaynor are both doubts. Bohs games have been notoriously short of goals this season - only 10 of 32 league and FAI Cup games have gone over 2.5 - making it still very hard to back anything but unders in their games. Verdict: Bohemians to advance, probably in 90 minutes but unlikely to have it easy.

Re: IRELAND: FAI Cup 19.08 I've laid Sligo Rovers now, to guarantee I make profit even if Shamrock Rovers equalise. From what I can gather it has been end-to-end stuff in the last ten minutes, and Shamrock Rovers have brought on three big players to try and get some sort of result from the game. Sligo have also had a penalty shout for a handball not given and have hit hte crossbar all during the second half. I wouldn't put it past Shamrock Rovers equalising!

Sligo / Sligo @4.00 1/10
1:0 (1:0) :clap
Full time and Sligo are 1-0 winners. Well done to all the winners, especially you McNasara! That was a bold call you made and it has paid off. :ok
tnx man, this was my good "new start" here... +3,25 realized profit for the first night.. :cigar

Re: Irish football 20.09 I'll risk it probably with goals... Strong wind and several disputed issues are marked the first match. They will now play on better and bigger pitch, where home side isn't so good, and away team have nothing to lose... I wonder if weather going be better than on Friday, will once again be windy or not?:unsure

Re: Irish football 20.09 Bohemians vs Dundalk Such as @SoccerWebs said, this will be their third meeting in the last 8 days. But should be mentioned that Dundalk isn't going well when they play in the northern Dublin. This year win is their only after 17 appearances at the Dalymount Park. Although Bohs is typical "under" team, they scored 12 goals at home against Dundalk in last 5 games. Home team is in better shape, but is expected to be a great struggle cause both teams want to reach semi-finals of the FAI Cup since they aren't on a satisfying positions in the league. Unlike first match, now it's expected returns of strikers (Fagan - Byrne) in the starting lineup for both teams. I think there will be a few goals tonight, so this odds has value imo. over 2,5 @2.00 3/10

Re: Irish football 20.09 Waterford United -v- Cork City, First Division match Cork rested their two best goalscorers and players against St Pats last Friday (Davin O'Neill and Graham Cummins) in the cup, and when they came on during the second half, they almost helped swing the match back in the direction of Cork - for a spell of around 15-20 minutes anyway. However, today is the resumption of the more important matters for Cork City - securing automatic promotion back to the Premier Division. They come up against Waterford United who are mid-table and out of the race for promotion, but who will still want to upset their Munster rivals. That said, and because I got a good glimpse of Cork on Friday, I believe there is a lot of value in them to beat Waterford tonight. They are currently available on Betfair at 1.95 to win, and I believe this is a good opportunity. So in summary - Cork City @ 1.95 to beat Waterford United away on betfair, is a good value bet.

Re: Irish football 20.09 “I don’t think Saturday is that important at this moment in time because we need to win in Waterford. We’ve to treat it as a cup final and go out and win the game. Every league game from now until the end of the season is a cup final if we want to get out of this division.” Cork players seem quite confident and they want to take revenge for only league defeat against Waterford, but I don't play First division matches. Anyway, good luck guys! ;) I know that Bohs is typical under team, but we'll see whether feeling tricked me. ;)

Re: Irish football 20.09

Bohemians vs Dundalk Such as @SoccerWebs said, this will be their third meeting in the last 8 days. But should be mentioned that Dundalk isn't going well when they play in the northern Dublin. This year win is their only after 17 appearances at the Dalymount Park. Although Bohs is typical "under" team, they scored 12 goals at home against Dundalk in last 5 games. Home team is in better shape, but is expected to be a great struggle cause both teams want to reach semi-finals of the FAI Cup since they aren't on a satisfying positions in the league. Unlike first match, now it's expected returns of strikers (Fagan - Byrne) in the starting lineup for both teams. I think there will be a few goals tonight, so this odds has value imo. over 2,5 @2.00 3/10 :puke
boring 0:0 and "my" strikers didn't play from the start... :eyes good call for cork backers, congratulations ;)

Re: Irish Leagues & Cups - September A lot of my bets in Irish football are decided upon when I see the team sheets. Often I won't give my opinions on a game here on this forum until I've seen them. So perhaps you should use the team selections as the final factor in your decisions in future. I wonder if you had seen the team sheets before you made the bet on over 2.5's, would you have made the bet? Anyway thanks for your celebratory response. In future McNasara you should not limit yourself on betting on first division games. There are certainly some games worth betting on. Cork City and Shelbourne for me have been the stand out performers in the league this year, while Limerick have made a 2nd half of the season surge with their new found wealth. Thus, they are the reliable teams to be betting on. :ok I'll return again (hopefully) on Friday with my thoughts on the evening's games.

Re: Irish Leagues & Cups - September

Wednesday 21 September 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gif Bray Wanderers v UCD (19:45 BST) 2.1 3.7 4 99.65 %
Friday 23 September 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gif Drogheda United v Sligo Rovers (19:45 BST) 11.3 4.7 1.4 101.55 %
maximize.gif Dundalk v St. Patrick's Athletic (19:45 BST) 2.87 3.4 2.62 102.36 %
maximize.gif Galway United v Bohemians (19:45 BST) 17.5 7 1.21 102.64 %
Sunday 25 September 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gif Shamrock Rovers v Bray Wanderers (15:00 BST) 1.24 6.5 15 102.70 %
Monday 26 September 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gif UCD v Bohemians (19:45 BST) 4.33 3.2 1.8 109.90 %

Re: Irish Leagues & Cups - September

A lot of my bets in Irish football are decided upon when I see the team sheets. Often I won't give my opinions on a game here on this forum until I've seen them. So perhaps you should use the team selections as the final factor in your decisions in future. I wonder if you had seen the team sheets before you made the bet on over 2.5's, would you have made the bet? Anyway thanks for your celebratory response. In future McNasara you should not limit yourself on betting on first division games. There are certainly some games worth betting on. Cork City and Shelbourne for me have been the stand out performers in the league this year, while Limerick have made a 2nd half of the season surge with their new found wealth. Thus, they are the reliable teams to be betting on. :ok I'll return again (hopefully) on Friday with my thoughts on the evening's games.
Yeah, first explore all available information before making a bet. I knew that Gypsies very rarely play over games, but it was a Cup match and I expected a few goals cause both sides have announced a fierce struggle for winning. There have been a lot of chances and If Dundalk scored in the 15th minute, I'm sure we would seen a few more goals. I'll have to pay attention to your First div picks in the future. :ok And no waiting till Friday as first game of this round is played tonight ... My analysis comes later...

Re: Irish Leagues & Cups - September Bray Wanderers vs UCD Both teams have secured the survival of the league and don't have competing ambitions. Average goals per game> Bray at home 2,8; UCD away 3,5. Rivals are in bad shape, but goals are full in their most recent league matches and in mutual duels. Home team will be without second topscorer (D. O'Connor is suspended), but visitors will miss two defensive starters (Nangle and Harding are injured). Bray has 13 points clear and on other hand "Students" have announced offensive game and decrease difference of points. Wanderers won't only defend, so in this relaxing game I expect more than two goals. over 2,5 @1.65 5/10

Re: Irish Leagues & Cups - September How about St. Pats @ Dundalk ...home team haven´t had too many wins recently and could be on a low after being eliminated from the cup. St. Pats have all to play for and beat Dundalk twice this season already...when lines came out at Pinnacle the AH0 was 1,86 (value imo)...in the meantime it´s 1,6x...but still an option.

Re: Irish Leagues & Cups - September That's right, and it's a good value. Dundalk played FAI Cup match with extra time on Tuesday. They lost against Bohs and same time club will remain without a coach as soon as the season ends, cause isn't offered a new contract for him. It will affect morale and motivation of the team. On the other hand "Saints" (my favorite team) are more rested cause they played last game seven days ago. And unlike Dundalk, they are highly motivated as are just 4 points behind leader.

Re: Irish Leagues & Cups - September Toatally agree with you guys about this one. Dundalk will be tired from their midweek game as the played with 10 men for 45mins. According to extratime the have Mark Griffin and Ross Gaynor doubtful for this game. This is what Foster had to say;“We picked up a couple of injuries. Griffin has got a groin injury which will probably rule him out for the weekend, Bennett will be suspended. Even on Tuesday, we could only get six subs. Out of those six subs, Stephen McDonnell is not ready and we had a 16-year-old boy [Conor McDonald] on the bench, and that’s where we’re at, at the moment.” So things are not looking good at the minute but they have the bonus of playing on that plastic pitch which is a distinct advantage. Will wait until team news starts filtering through but saints are my pick in a close game.

Re: Irish Leagues & Cups - September These are my predictions for tonight with odds at local. Any opinion is welcome :ok Drogheda vs Sligo Rovers Home team playing without competitive motivation as they ensure survival. They played against leader Derry last match when took one point, 10 days ago. On the other hand, Rovers threw out Shamrock and won semi-finals of FAI Cup on Monday. If they win Drogheda will be the first in the league, at least a few days. These clubs are often playing a draw, but Sligo's in a series of six consecutive wins (2:0, 3:0, 2:0 in this year). C. O'Brien (most experienced MF) is out for the rest of the season, A. McNally (regular DF), G. Brennan (regular MF) and T. Mulvenna (regular FW) are all suspended for Drogs. J. McGuinness (regular DF) and E. Doyle (topscorer) miss out due injuries for Sligo. 2 @1.35 4/10 2 (no Drogs goal) @2.05 1/10 Dundalk vs St Patricks Athletic We said almost everything about this game. I'll just add that the Saints are playing against more difficult opponents in the next rounds so that they must win here. Both teams have several absences, but home team's in more difficult situation and will have some of juniors on the bench. H2H tradition also supports St. Patrick's cause they didn't lost in Dundalk for 13 last years. These rivals often play a draw at half time this season, so my choices are.... 2(dnb) @1.50 7/10 2 @2.20 4/10 X2 @5.50 1/10 Galway vs Bohemians Home team is more rested and now motivated with new coach. On other hand, Bohs have tough FAI Cup game (120 minutes) a few days ago. Gypsies are sure much better team here, but odds are very bad so I'll try just for fun... 1 (+1,5) @2.30 1/10

Re: Irish Leagues & Cups - September Yes hard to argue with any of that. I would expect 3 away wins but surely at least 1 of them will slip up. Interesting stats for these games Sligo won all 3 games v Drogheda so far this season and didn't concede a goal in those games. Galway's only league win of the season came against Bohs in March but Bohs have the best away record in the division. Pats in good form and Dundalk not at all - only 1 win in 11.