The Other Side Of The Fence

Hi folks, long time lurker, figured it time to do the decent thing and sign up. Looked around to find a topic similar to this to break my post count in, but in true "new guy on the forum" style, couldn't locate one and have decided to make my own. The reasoning behind it being called, "The Other Side of The Fence", is that quite simply, I work in a major UK bookies(Don't know if i'm allowed to say. If i am then I "WILL......"). So what's that got to do with the price of fish? I see people who work in other bookies come in raving over tips they've got or horses that people have staked thousands on. I'm yet to see one of these tips land. While i'm young and only been in the job a short time, my grandad was a bookie and I guess i've sort of grown up with it. Most grand dads take their grandsons fishing. Mine took me to Shawfield(off-card dog racing) :lol While i only play around with small stakes and do it as something to alleviate the mundane monotonous nature that the shift can be, frankly, if you're doing anything, why not do it right? I'm keen to get to understand the thought processes of some punters. See, if i ask someone in the shop why they fancy a horse, they usually come out with something along the lines of "I'm not telling you, you'll cut the price." as though we exercise some form of control over it. Recently, i've found moderate success from each-way doubles( Had a £2.50 ew double on Activate at 4's and Maywood at 8's today), and it's hardly been courtesy of rocket science. I'm well aware of the fact that it swings in roundabouts, and the bookies wont be getting the money back - Courtesy of being on my side of the fence, i see far too many put themselves through the wringer. But, take my double from today. I took activate when I saw it had been a significant market mover. I took Maywood because of the jockey coming over from France. Long way to travel if you dont fancy your chances. Plus the price of both made it a possibility. Yet, in shop, I seen next to no interest for anything bar rank outsiders and the favourite in both races. As i said, i've been brought up by bookies and have now become one, albeit part-time. I only know the Bookie psyche. Now i'm not suggesting that picking up on details like this ensures 100%, guaranteed success, but ive found that it means I win more than I lose. As such, why is it that the vast majority of punters dont look for the same things? I'm not naive to say I know as much/more than most on this forum, and fully accept my successes may have been down to sheer luck, but it's really got me wondering if "we" look at things from different angles to "you". It'd just be nice to see more punters not follow this thought of "it's a short price, it's a cert.", as in my experience, this isn't where the money is. Was hoping some of you could shed some light on this and maybe give me some insight as to what goes through your mind when backing your horse. Also, as an aside to what upon re-read sounds like a dodgy market research survey, i suppose I should post my fancy for tomorrow 1pt e/w, Solemn. 2.50 Nottingham, 8/1 Bet 365. Ran well and looked like it had plenty more to give at Newmarket and feel it may pick up well off the favourite(Humidor) in the run home, a horse that stays on well but for me, doesn't find much. E/W courtesy of price and equal horses in the field. Counting on it being within a couple lengths come the final furlong. Hope i've not made too much of an idiot of myself and really look forward to learning how other people think.

Re: The Other Side Of The Fence Welcome to the PL Expect........... Bit busy at the moment to give your post justice, will have a look tomorrow properly, feel free to post your bet in the BBOTD comp if you intend to stick around:ok

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.