** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

MLB 18/05/11 + an interesting statistic/trend

Hi, I actually dont have any picks for tonight, took a while off in the middle of April as I didnt really have the spare money to gamble with and I am glad because the system I follow has been :puke since. I basically just bet Divisional Underdogs with a few filters to get rid of teams in a bad hitting slump etc. Since 2004 it has won 18 units a year or more every year (in 06 it won 85 units). This year so far it is -37 units. I am thinking of jumping back in head first as I feel like it really cant get much worse. This year it has gone 25-69 at an average price of 2.32. It is very strange because it seems as though underdogs overall are hitting well and Home underdogs are only winning roughly 5 units so Away underdogs must be destroying. This is all temporary variance and I am sure it will turn around, so I think now is the time to be jumping aboard. I have a bit of spare cash lying around now so will dump that into pinnacle and start with todays games.

Re: MLB 18/05/11 + an interesting statistic/trend That definitely is an interesting statistic. Either way, the value is in most cases on the underdog (even though this year is -37 units with that particular kind of selection). I've been following a guy (not with money) who's keeping track of what would happen if you were only to be on the away team. 8 or 9 out of 10 times the away team is above evens, while recently the away teams have always been getting at least 50% of the wins. On a night where 75% or more of the away teams win, it can be incredibly lucrative. It's interesting, but the question remains: is it gonna be lucrative in the long term? It seems like you have a huge set of statistics, or did you gather this information online?

Re: MLB 18/05/11 + an interesting statistic/trend

That definitely is an interesting statistic. Either way, the value is in most cases on the underdog (even though this year is -37 units with that particular kind of selection). I've been following a guy (not with money) who's keeping track of what would happen if you were only to be on the away team. 8 or 9 out of 10 times the away team is above evens, while recently the away teams have always been getting at least 50% of the wins. On a night where 75% or more of the away teams win, it can be incredibly lucrative. It's interesting, but the question remains: is it gonna be lucrative in the long term? It seems like you have a huge set of statistics, or did you gather this information online?
That´s interesting system. It seems to that the away wins % in MLB is higher than in other sports.... In fantasy betting i have chosen two teams and had placed a bet on them no matter what the statistics shows...in short term follow /through 1-2 months it brings small profit, but i´m not sure about long term efficacy /the two teams were Oakland Athletics and Florida Marlins-sympatic teams to me/ anyway, for tonight: Orioles to beat Yankees Red Sox to beat Tigers Angels to beat Mariners Phillies to beat Rockies and Pirates to beat Reds :hope:hope

That´s interesting system. It seems to that the away wins % in MLB is higher than in other sports.... In fantasy betting i have chosen two teams and had placed a bet on them no matter what the statistics shows...in short term follow /through 1-2 months it brings small profit, but i´m not sure about long term efficacy /the two teams were Oakland Athletics and Florida Marlins-sympatic teams to me/ anyway, for tonight: Orioles to beat Yankees Red Sox to beat Tigers Angels to beat Mariners Phillies to beat Rockies and Pirates to beat Reds :hope:hope
Orioles to beat Yankees :eyes Red Sox to beat Tigers :clap Angels to beat Mariners :eyes Phillies to beat Rockies :clap and Pirates to beat Reds :clap

Re: MLB 18/05/11 + an interesting statistic/trend Surely, seasons can take a statistically different turn every season. However, if you don't go all Martingale on such statistics, there is only little risk when you take the LSP-approach. Based on previous seasons, you can assume it's more likely that -37 units will turn around in profit (which would mean +37 units), than losing another -37 units. However, that can be considered gamblers fallacy yes. However, following long-term trends can still be effective on the long term. If at a start of a season a pitcher is on a 6-0 streak, then surely he could reach 12-0. However, the general trend is that most pitchers that start out with a big streak start losing games after about 5 or 6 winning games. So, I'm personally still a fan of statistics which show unusual occurrences, but I'm also a fan of taking a safe approach when it comes to using those statistics to make money.

sounds like gamblers fallacy to me
Normally I would agree with you but this isnt akin to betting black because red came out 10 times. Divisonal Underdogs have hit at more than 44% each and every season for the last 7 years (~2300 games). Over a small sample this season they have hit 29% this year. There is a deep underlying trend in the data and I have no doubt that this will turn itself around somewhat by the end of the season.