Third Test - Cape Town

Smith mentions in the Telegraph 'Plan C' to stop Strauss. Coded message for (Charl) Langeveldt coming in to replace Steyn. Dippenaar back in after infected knee, Pollock fit so it's just down to Amla or Hall, which is likely to be a racial selection. Therefore Amla. England unchanged, I presume. But I do foresee some 'rotation' for 4th or perhaps 5th Test, particularly if England win in Cape Town. I think Reid will get a game behind the stumps. And Key will get a go. Maybe Anderson. Last test, as posted, I partially closed my position on England series aggregate 1st innings advantage. Thinking to get back in later. Cantor yesterday were quoting -10 to 30 England overall, but now go 10 to 50. This is a buying opportunity. If Vaughan -- big if -- can win a toss for once, have a look at spread runs first innings. The 'buy' quote will probably be around 465. England could well bat for 2 days and a bit and make 700. As usual match bet doesn't seem to offer value. Suggest just get into a ton of England runs, anyway you can. :tongue2

Re: Third Test - Cape Town Well, called the SA XI spot on Christmas Eve. No points for that! I can't think why you were rolling in laughter, Jeffers, at my predictions of a big score from a good batting line up against a 2-day turn-around average bowling outfit. See 2003, 2004 at Newlands, for instance, for runs this wicket. OK, you were laughing at 700. I still think plus 550 batting second. General theory holds.

Re: Third Test - Cape Town Pretty decent total by South Africa. Kallis again proving he's one of the worlds very best. 441 all out. England now 3/0 after the first over. We're going to have to get that 700 to get a result here I feel. If the wicket stays as fast as it's been looks a nailed on draw

Re: Third Test - Cape Town Hills say only 20/1 England!!!! Blimey, thought it'd be longer than that. SA 1/4, that looks value to me. Jeseus they were boring this afternoon. Seem to remember they let Athers off the the hook at Jo'burg in his 185* by coming off for bad light on 3rd day and not pushing on, bit like today. Anyone tempted by 20/1 should know world record to win last is 418!!

Re: Third Test - Cape Town 1/4 seems a decent price for SA given that the english bowlers are knackered. I think that was the main reason Vaughan had to win the toss for this game and the reason SA didn't enforce the follow-on. Am i alone in thinking the schedule for the first 3 tests has been atrocious?

Re: Third Test - Cape Town SPIN reckon SA will bat on to 270-280. Why wd they? They're already over the hills and far away. What are the overnight declaration rules? Presume Smith cd have left Eng with an overnight assumption of taking the field again, and then - 10 mins to scheduled start - bang in the Eng openers. He won't, of course. But it wd be an interesting mind game.

Re: Third Test - Cape Town Well I thought that was buying money yesterday, and looks good now. England down to just 5 wickets left. Got to bat all day tomorrow, and it's sun all the way so the weather won't help us now. South Africa down to 1.08 now on Betfair, and I'm almost tempted:rollin I'll stick to the 1.33 I had yesterday. Paul - "1.38" - nice:D

Re: Third Test - Cape Town Paul - yes, I have us slight favourities too. If we were starting again Sunday though that would be a different story. Also, when is Vaughn going to win a toss. What killed us here is bowling all day in the heat of Durban in the 2nd test, losing the toss again just a few days later and having to bowl again

Re: Third Test - Cape Town

Prices are up on betfair matty: SA = 3.7 England = 2.86 Draw = 2.52 England are bigger favourites than i expected, i'd have had SA about 3.1 and a slightly longer price on the draw given the way the series has gone so far.
Cheers Paul. Yep, i agree too Paul. That is a big price on South Africa given their performance in the 3rd test. With a good forecast, I'm looking to lay the draw in the 4th and 5th tests.