Quick maths question

uknowsit

Re: Quick maths question But goals are usually considered to be independent events, and I think all statistical calculations of match outcome/number of goals assume goals are independent. You have no tool to evaluate if goal scored by team A will increase or decrease probability of team B to score, at least not before the match, you should have to watch the match and then decide.

Re: Quick maths question

Erm, it's only 25% if the two events are independent. Usually when one team scores, the other team will react to it. Thus it's a bit too simplistic to put as 0.5 x 0.5. You need to account for the dependence.
That is why I wrote
25%' date=' [b']more or less.
But actually, the effect is not that big. Small sample of 63,114 games. 15,021 times the home side did not score, that's 23.8%. 22,077 times the away team did not score, that's 35.0%. 5,372 games were 0-0, that's 8.5%. In theory: 23.8% x 35.0% = 8.3% As I said, the effect is not that big.

• 2 months later...

Re: Quick maths question Hi You recently gave a reply to a question raised about the % of soccer game goals coming in the 88th, 89th and 90th minutes. This I found very useful. Do you have similar statistics relating to the 80th and 85th minutes?