** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Darts: Players Championship Finals 2011

kevshat

The Players Championship finals begin on Thursday night. Unlike in previous years it's not on ITV4 who seems to have given up on darts. This is to be shown only on PDCtv which you need to subscribe to so interest in it may be quite low. Technically it's still a major event though and one which could see Taylor vs Wade in the 2nd round so we'll see how it goes.

Re: Darts: Players Championship Finals 2011

Thursday 3 February 2011 Player 1 Player 2 BPP
maximize.gif Ovens, D v Osborne, C (19:00 GMT) 2.62 1.53 103.31 %
maximize.gif Hamilton, A v Priestley, D (19:30 GMT) 1.8 2.25 100.00 %
maximize.gif Walsh, M v Farmer, S (20:00 GMT) 1.5 2.75 103.03 %
maximize.gif Caven, J v Bates, B (20:30 GMT) 1.66 2.25 104.44 %
maximize.gif Baxter, R v Smith, A (21:00 GMT) 1.8 2.2 101.01 %
maximize.gif Jones, W v Painter, K (21:30 GMT) 1.61 2.37 104.01 %
maximize.gif Anderson, G v Pipe, J (22:00 GMT) 1.28 4.33 100.85 %
maximize.gif Lloyd, C v Klaasen, J (22:30 GMT) 1.66 2.2 105.45 %
Friday 4 February 2011 Player 1 Player 2 BPP
maximize.gif van der Voort, V v Jenkins, T (19:00 GMT) 2.2 1.66 105.45 %
maximize.gif King, M v Stompé, C (19:30 GMT) 1.72 2.2 103.35 %
maximize.gif Newton, W v Burnett, R (20:00 GMT) 1.44 2.75 105.59 %
maximize.gif Webster, M v Tabern, A (20:30 GMT) 1.53 2.75 101.58 %
maximize.gif Whitlock, S v Eccles, T (21:00 GMT) 1.28 4.33 100.85 %
maximize.gif Wade, J v Dudbridge, M (21:30 GMT) 1.36 3.4 102.75 %
maximize.gif Taylor, P v Brown, Steve (22:00 GMT) 1.22 4.5 104.04 %
maximize.gif Lewis, A v Beaton, S (22:30 GMT) 1.4 3.5 100.00 %

Re: Darts: Players Championship Finals 2011 I'm not going to be watching this but I can see Ovens and Priestley beating Osborne and Hamilton respectively and on the second night Vincent van der Voort beating Terry Jenkins. Ovens is a good consistent player and with odds of 6/4 a decent bet. Priestley is near his home town and should have support. Evens is a decent bet in my opinion. Van der Voort did well at Ally Pally and Jenkins may not really care with the Premier League starting less than a week after the game with VDV. 6/5 good odds. All with Skybet.

The Players Championship finals begin on Thursday night. Unlike in previous years it's not on ITV4 who seems to have given up on darts. This is to be shown only on PDCtv which you need to subscribe to so interest in it may be quite low. Technically it's still a major event though and one which could see Taylor vs Wade in the 2nd round so we'll see how it goes.
:(:( Neither the bookies stream this tournament.

Re: Darts: Players Championship Finals 2011 2 outrights for me. 1pt ew M.Walsh to win Players Championship Finals 33/1 William Hill (1/2 1,2) It's hard to know what to expect from this competition. It's meant to be a major tournament but it's not on television and the defending champion was that poor in 2010 that he never even qualified to defend his title. One thing we do know this week is you want to be in the bottom half of the draw as the top half has Simon Whitlock, Mervyn King, Terry Jenkins, Phil Taylor, Mark Webster, James Wade and the world champion Adrian Lewis. Such is the seedings for this that Taylor could play Wade in round two. Gary Anderson is in the bottom half of the draw but you would have to say in terms of major big names that's it. He's the only Premier League player in the bottom half. Mark Walsh is another who is in the bottom half and he's rapidly becoming one of those who performs well in tour events but not in majors. Maybe with this event not being televised he'll perform better. One thing we can say is he couldn't have had a much better draw. He should beat Farmer in the opening round and then he'll have the winner of Ovens vs Osborne followed by one of Lloyd, Klaasen, Hamilton or Priestley in the quarter finals. He really can't have picked a much easier draw if he tried and at 33/1 I'll take him to come through that and then chance him winning the semi against whoever he may play with the knowledge that Anderson aside this bottom half is completely wide open. 1pt ew A.Smith to win Players Championship Finals 66/1 Blue Square (1/2 1,2) The Pieman has a fairly nice draw here too. As I said above, that top half is like a tournament of it's own but Anderson aside anyone could win this bottom half. Smith should come in here full of confidence. He beat Taylor in Halle at the weekend and although he didn't progress to the last four beating Taylor is still a nice confidence boost. I like Smith's draw here. If he can come past Baxter in the opening round then he should beat Caven or Bates. Anderson would be a potential QF opponent but you would have to consider that he's unlikely to play as well as he did in the world championships in this event or ever again really. Prior to his defeat to Anderson, Smith led him 5-0 in their H2H battle so it's not beyond the realms he would come through that anyway. If he gets to the semi final he should fear nobody in the 4th quarter so at 66/1 with a nice confidence boost at the weekend I'll take the Pieman to do some damage this weekend.

Re: Darts: Players Championship Finals 2011 3 for me on the opening night. 3pts D.Ovens to beat C.Osborne 13/8 Bet365 Denis Ovens beat Phil Taylor at the weekend and on twitter Taylor said he was happy with how he played so Ovens must've played well to beat him so he should come into this event full of confidence. He's never really done it in a major but he is capable and we've seen glimpses of what he can do in these events I call mini-majors. Colin Osborne is a weird case really. He's such a good player but his results in the big events have completely nose dived. Osborne is a worthy favourite in this match still but he's no 4/9 shot over 11 legs I don't think. We saw in the world championship that he just misses way too many doubles for him to be relied on in a best of 11. Ovens scores nicely and checks out solidly and at 13/8 with the Taylor win under his belt I'll take the veteran to win this one. 3pts B.Bates to beat J.Caven 5/4 Skybet Neither of these pulled up any trees in Halle over the weekend or in the world championship but for me Bates is just a little steadier. Caven can have days when he is very very good but he can also have days where he's the exact opposite. He looked totally disinterested in London in the world championship and that would be a worrying sign. Bates always gives 100% and although he's unlikely to blow an opponent away, we know where we stand with him. He has a good record over Caven and I think the Welshman is a decent enough price to extend that record in what isn't much more than a 50/50 contest. 3pts J.Klaasen to beat C.Lloyd 6/5 Skybet This is my regular take Colin Lloyd on when he's on stage bet. In truth though I think Klaasen comes in here in better touch. In Halle at the weekend, Lloyd lost to Shaun Griffiths who we saw in the BDO world championships losing in the first round, and Adam Smith-Neale who I've never heard of. Klaasen lost to Barney in the last 16 on the Saturday and Ovens on the Sunday shortly before he beat Taylor so neither of those are bad efforts. Colin Lloyd was pretty rotten at the world championship and in a fast and furious format which suits Klaasen, at odds against with their respective results last weekend, it has to be the Dutchman for me here.

Re: Darts: Players Championship Finals 2011 PHIL TAYLOR TO WIN 5/2 Betfred 5 pts Win Still the best player in the world & still consistently averages around or above 100 in all big matches, he did average around 102 in his qf loss to Webster in the worlds, maybe the 5/2 is only available here because he could face Wade in the 2nd round, then possibly whitlock in the same half, still think he should be shorter than 5/2 to get back to winning ways.

Re: Darts: Players Championship Finals 2011 Should be a cracker. Three for me, no outrights though. (3/10) D.Ovens to bt. C.Osborne @ 2.62 at Pinnacle Osborne is an enigma that can play either very well, or really bad. I think he relies a lot on confidence and needs to play himself in a little bit, which is an issue in a format like this. Ovens, on the other hand, usually does well in the early rounds, as he is pretty stable. He usually cannot compete with the very best on stage, but Osborne is not one of those players and looks beatable to me. (3/10) B.Bates to bt. J.Caven @ 2.20 at Pinnacle Bates might be a little bit incosistent, but Caven is not a great player by any means. He really is not able to achieve any solid results and in what is a pretty short format, I expect Bates to be the player that can start better and that should give him enough momentum. And even if he cannot start well, he will not give up, knowing that Caven is someone who can choke easily. (3/10) D.Priestley to bt. A.Hamilton @ 2.21 at Pinnacle Priestley seems to be playing calm darts everytime he is on the stage. He is definitely one of the most experienced and stable guys and there is no reason why he should be the underdog against just a guy like Hamilton, who has never achieved anything outstanding. Over the short format, I cannot favor Hamilton.

Re: Darts: Players Championship Finals 2011 Jones To win Players Championship (EW) - 28/1 (Skybet) I gone for Jones here, he's in the bottom half of the draw and even though there is the potential for a second round match with Gary Anderson, Jones has the potential to beat him as he did at the Grand Slam and that was over a much longer format than what it would be here (First to 9 legs). He doesn't have an easy game today in Kevin Painter but he is the clear favourite if Painter plays as he did at the World Championships.

Re: Darts: Players Championship Finals 2011 That night needed to be written off as soon as Ovens led 5-3 and failed to win. -11 from the opening night with the silver cloud being Smith looking very impressive. Just one for me tonight. 3pts V.van der Voort to beat T.Jenkins 6/5 Skybet Vincent van der Voort is playing some really good darts these days. I was massively impressed with him at the world championships and although he lost in the quarter finals he lost to the runaway winner which was no disgrace at all. He scored heavily in that tournament and checked out very well for someone of his speed. Van der Voort is 17th in the world at the minute but the rate he is progressing at I fully expect him to be in the top 10 in the world at the end of 2011. He begun 2011 with a final in the players championship tournament on Saturday which emphasises by thoughts on him. Terry Jenkins can often struggle in these short sprints because he misses the odd crucial double. I think he's a much better set player anyway but with the Premier League next week he could be using this as a bit of a warm up. Van der Voort's tough to stop when he plays well and the last couple of months he's been doing that so I'll take the Dutchman to win the opener of the night.

Re: Darts: Players Championship Finals 2011 One small bet for me. (2/10) S.Beaton to bt. A.Lewis @ 3.25 at Pinnacle Worth a bet I think. Adrian Lewis won the big one, but it is hard to see him keeping that level of play forever. Chances are that he will not and Beaton is one of those players that can punish him. Adrian has not played since the WC and may see this as not that important with the Premier League coming up. The format is short and the odds are very nice indeed.

What is this about? All streams showing the "live event will start soon" and then it appears that Jenkins has already won. Really poor coverage.
Indeed PDC changed their name now into: Poor Darts Coöperation. In these circumstances it's a no bet night for me.

One small bet for me. (2/10) S.Beaton to bt. A.Lewis @ 3.25 at Pinnacle Worth a bet I think. Adrian Lewis won the big one, but it is hard to see him keeping that level of play forever. Chances are that he will not and Beaton is one of those players that can punish him. Adrian has not played since the WC and may see this as not that important with the Premier League coming up. The format is short and the odds are very nice indeed.
Made my day. :clap:clap

One small bet for me. (2/10) S.Beaton to bt. A.Lewis @ 3.25 at Pinnacle Worth a bet I think. Adrian Lewis won the big one, but it is hard to see him keeping that level of play forever. Chances are that he will not and Beaton is one of those players that can punish him. Adrian has not played since the WC and may see this as not that important with the Premier League coming up. The format is short and the odds are very nice indeed.
Top shout. Lewis Should be a good world champ to oppose on the right occasions because we know with his 'mercurial' nature he can switch off and be as pants as he is brilliant at times!

Re: Darts: Players Championship Finals 2011 Three for me today, Whitlock x Webster might be a good double, but I like singles more in all honesty. (5/10) M.Webster to bt. W.Newton @ 1.50 at Paddy Power Webster is looking to be in good form and had no problems yesterday and I cannot see him losing against Newton, who often has problems when he has to play in front of cameras. Will be there with a shout, but I fancy Webster to take it comfortably. (5/10) S.Whitlock to bt. M.King @ 1.53 at Paddy Power Whitlock was clinical and beat his opponent without any problems at all, while King almost had a shocker right there. Lucky to still be here and I think he in fact won't after this night. He has not been able to produce much lately, so I think he will simply not have enough in his locker here. (4/10) James Wade Highest Checkout Over 98.5 @ 1.83 at Paddy Power Yes, James Wade was quite average in his first match, but this line is pretty low. I cannot remember the line being so low on his highest checkout too. I mean, this even includes a two dart checkout in 100! If he wants to even stand a chance against Phil, who played much better than Wade in the first match, he will need one or two big checkouts and the line is too low I think.

Re: Darts: Players Championship Finals 2011 Not been a good tournament for me personally with 4 from 4 match bets losing but Andy Smith is still alive for me at a big price and if he can beat Anderson tomorrow then I'll be on him at 33/1 against either Farmer or Lloyd which will be a nice position to be in. Anyway I'm going with 3 tonight. 3pts W.Newton to beat M.Webster 13/8 VC Wes Newton played very well in his first round win over Richie Burnett. He averaged 103 which even over a short distance is no mean achievement. Webby was solid as we've come to expect from him and he averaged a ton against Alan Tabern but this will be tougher as Wes is in decent nick. He made the quarter finals of the worlds when he should really have taken Jenkins out and he's going well here. Sure Webby make the semis in the worlds so he's going well too but I'm prepared to take the chance of Newton here. He's won the last 4 meetings between these two and the last 3 of them he's won 6-2, 6-1 and 6-2 so they've not even been close. I'll take the Lancashire man at 13/8. 3pts S.Beaton to beat T.Jenkins 11/8 Sportingbet Steve Beaton was very impressive in beating Adrian Lewis and he's another who's been in decent touch for a while as we saw with his run to the semi finals of the Grand Slam via beating Phil Taylor. Terry Jenkins went to the semis of the world championships but he rode his luck a bit along the way. He beat Van der Voort in the opener here but wasn't as heavy scoring or as clinical as Beaton. One of Beaton's main problems is he can follow a good performance with a shocker but that wasn't the case in the Slam and if he has ironed that out from his game then he'll look a bit of value at 11/8 in what should be a pretty close match. 3pts J.Wade to beat P.Taylor 9/4 Bet365 James Wade wasn't great in the opening round but we know he always struggles in them. To be fair to him he often ups his game against Taylor and if he does that tonight then I think the Power is there to be beaten. Taylor only averaged 95 against Brown and both in that match and in the world championships his scoring has looked a lot more ordinary than it used to do, especially the 180's. He isn't hitting doubles brilliantly either and that's the one thing Wade does do. Taylor lost to Andy Smith and Dennis Ovens last weekend and I'll take the Machine to make it a hat trick of defeats for the great one with a win this evening in what should be a good match.

Re: Darts: Players Championship Finals 2011 Tough luck for me. The bull before the match decided Webster-Newton and how often do you see Whitlock going from 5-2 to 5-8? Damn break, Whitlock was brilliant until that :wall King is riding his luck here, should have been gone both times (especially against Stompe though). Edit: Luckily, Wade gets 107 to get his first leg on the board.

Re: Darts: Players Championship Finals 2011 One bet in the afternoon session for me. (4/10) M.King to bt. T.Jenkins @ 1.72 at Skybet Both players a little bit lucky yesterday, but King looked better overall, so I will go with him. He has shown a lot of nerve and Jenkins may struggle here as is usual with him. Not sure the price is set correctly, I would have him at 1.65 or so.

Re: Darts: Players Championship Finals 2011 If King loses this from 5-1 up, I will be speechless. Seriously? After such heroics against Stompe and Whitlock? Edit: Thank god ;) I really cannot see any bets for the three remaining matches, maybe something interesting will be on offer after the QF's.

Re: Darts: Players Championship Finals 2011 I cannot see much apart from the obvious, which I will take. (4/10) P.Taylor to win the Players Championship Finals @ 1.83 at Skybet The Power seems to be back, dismissing all opponents comfortably so far and I think this is the time he should get back finally after his rather poor run (by his standards). Other bookies go lower, so I am happy to take this at Skybet. King should finally stop clinching it and Anderson did not impress so far.