Jumps Racing - 28th December

1:25 Leopardstown - Thegreatjohnbrowne - 5pts @ 10/3 (PaddyPower) Nice looking 6 year old who has barely broken sweat in winning his first 2 chase outings, both coming at Punchestown. He's a wonderful jumper, who displayed 2 high class jumping exhibitions to win a very competitive maiden over 2m 4f and then successfully stepped up to Grade 3 company over 2m 6f, winning by an easy 7l on testing ground, that of which he'll face again here today. He was average at best over hurdles but has taken to fences so impressively that I believe there's many Graded wins to come from this fellow yet, and he should be very competitive in the better staying chases at Cheltenham in the future. He travels very well throughout his races and likes to make most of the running, usually resulting in the opposition being under pressure constantly, as he gains a lot of ground from his high class jumping alone. There seems to be a fair few potential front runners in this race but I think it'll be vital for him to get the lead and he could be left alone, which will be dangerous for the opposition and perfect for him. Paul Carberry takes the ride on him today, he was on board for the maiden success but not for the Graded win, Paul is a top jockey in my opinion and exactly who you'd want on board to get this fellow into the jumping rhythm needed to win a race of such quality. Another key to the success of Thegreatjohnbrowne has been a wind operation in the summer. His trainer, Noel Meade, seems to think it has been the key to unlocking the door and I tend to think this too, as he never looked like a potentially top class chaser when he was running over hurdles, he looks potentially top class now. The wind operations tend to work first time up and see little effect thereafter but he followed up in equally effective fashion second time up, I expect he should notch up the hat-trick and continue his progression to bigger things in the near future. The 3m trip should also be a plus as he seems to have the speed and stamina to suit the extended distance. All in all, he has an absolutely wonderful chance of gaining his first of potentially many Grade 1 events, in what looks a relatively weak race considering its status, in my opinion. Noel Meade has also won this on the last 2 occasions and really rates this fellow as top class, as do I. The second favourite, Chicago Grey, is a very good animal too but I don't think he'll be at his optimum when jumping under the likely pressure he'll face here and he tends to smash the odd fence every now and again, I certainly can't have him at 7/2 and wouldn't back him with stolen money, never mind my own. I'll stick with the progressive, stylish, classy and fluency of Noel Meade's charge to rout the field here. He certainly has the ability to do so and I think it's his race to lose. His current price is 10/3 with Powers, and 3/1 generally. I expect this will shorten significantly and I think he could justify being around the 7/4 mark on what he has already achieved. He's a rare maximum bet for me and one I expect to be collecting from assuming he jumps with his usual supremacy and gets his own way upfront. There's many more races to come from this fellow and I'll also be taking 25's with Powers for the RSA Chase at Cheltenham, a price that could come down significantly if he wins here, hopefully he actually goes for the race! :hope

Re: Jumps Racing - 28th December Chicago Grey - 1:25 Leopardstown I think Chicago Grey is overpriced at the current 4/1 on offer here. TheGreatJohnBrowne is currently unbeaten over fences so is likely to attract a lot of support but he hasn't beaten much, had everything in his favour in a small field last time out and now goes up against some top novice chasers. Chicago Grey has improved a lot this season. Had just about taken up the running when falling two out at Cheltenham in a hot novice chase and I'm sure he would've beaten Wayward Prince that day and probably confirmed that when finishing a promising second to current RSA favourite Time For Rupert. He still finished clear of the rest that day. Was a good hurdler and has shown in the past that he can handle heavy ground and being a hold-up horse this race should pan out well for him. 1pt EW - 4/1 (Victor Chandler)

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.