Beginners questions re. horse racing betting

jafra

Hi, I'm real beginner in horse racing betting and I woudl be very thankfull for answers on some fundamental questions. I'm usually following some professional tipsters and until now I betted only on winner, so winner types of bets. Now I need to understand what exactly are "each way" and "to be placed" type of bets, what is the difference between them, and how do you calculate your winning. I know I can search on wikipedia and internet, and I already did some, but I would really appreciate some answers here. For example, yesterday I betted on Adam De Beaulieu, 2:50 Southwell There were two nunrunners in the race. I betted on Whill each way at 7,50, and on betfair "to be placed" at 2,35 I think I diont understand how I won only 18,77EUR for stake of 16,32EUR How was that calculated for EW bet with 7,50 odd?? (it was 0,25 bet, what does this exactly means?) Thank you ery much for clearing me this diffrence between to be placed and "each way bets"

Re: Beginners questions re. horse racing betting Jafra, Backing on Betfair and with online bookmakers are to be treated as very different things, you cant compare the place odds at Betfair with an EW bet at Hills. At Betfair you have the choice to back a horse to win the race or to be placed, two seperate bets all together, you chose to back a horse to place, it doesnt matter if the horse wins or is placed you get the same returns. When backing EW at other firms you are getting two bets and your money is split, half to win the race and the other half to place, so if it wins you get both bets up but if it is only placed (like your bet) you actually lose the win part and are only paid out on the place, hence your returns are not much, if it had won it would have been much more as opposed to Betfair where your returns would have been the same whether it wins or not. The place price on Betfair is straight forward, you see your price and thats what you get minus commission. When backing EW the place price is calculated depending on what type of race it is and how many runners are involved. Your bet yesterday was at 7.50 (or 13/2 in english) there was 12 runners and it was a handicap so the place part is worked out at 1/4 odds, this works out at 13/8 or 1.63 in decimal land. If there was NR's you may get a slight deduction on your returns, google R4 deductions to see that, your account should show if there was a R4 on your bet, looks like there was. As you can see, the place part at Hills was 1.63 compared to Betfair where it was 2.35, big difference but the point is you would have got a lot more back if the horse had won with Hills but still the same returns at BF. Its just a choice of what type of bet you want at the end of the day. Getting your head around the EW terms is difficult when you are new to the game, search for 'EW Terms' on your bookies FAQ and try to understand this before getting too involved is my advice.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.