The $10k rule - Birmingham Man could be fined half his winnings

Sir Puntalot

Re: The $10k rule - Birmingham Man could be fined half his winnings

Okay, so what happens if you take over $10k into the US? From what believed, it was forbidden, but what I read there was that you can take it if you can prove its yours legally. :unsure
They can confiscate it if you haven't declared it. :loon

Re: The $10k rule - Birmingham Man could be fined half his winnings

They can confiscate it if you haven't declared it. :loon
Yeah sorry mate, should have been clearer. What I mean is, What would happen if you turned up at Customs and when they ask if you have over $10k and you say "Yes, I have (say) $15,000 for my holiday in Vegas". Will they confiscate it, or ask you for some kind of proof? If they asked you for proof, what would count? A bank statement? I mean I know $10k is a lot of money, but its getting less every year. It won't be too long before that amount would be 'normal' spending money for a 2/3 wk holiday.

Re: The $10k rule - Birmingham Man could be fined half his winnings you can carry as much cash over the border as you like, as long as you declare it. It's to combat money laundering, tax evasion and profits over overseas crime being repatriated. Almost ever country in the world has this rule. Why would you try and hide the cash ? Just tick the box and tell the truth